Ratings & Reactions: Brentford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/22 at 23:59

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Worst bit of it is I doubt Brentford will play that badly again all season, to say they were there for the taking is an understatement.

Little bit disappointed we didn’t see Chuk/JPB/Archer at all, I wanted Archer on for Traore in the second half and I think it would have posed them problems.

I wondered if Trez might become a favourite for Gerrard with his work rate but that pathetic dive when we were in a good position at the end may have started that relationship off on a bad foot.

Wasted opportunity today, massively.

We need more than work rate.

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Really concerns me how limp we are in front of goal. We are creating less under Gerrards system than Smiths.

possibly because the players are not as used to it

Pathetic is an appropriate description of that. Buendia MOTM. 

I think we need serious upgrades after watching that. Poor from everyone including Gerrard. We've started to look predictable again the last couple of weeks. Yes we play some pretty one touch stuff but our delivery and creativity out wide has vanished. 

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

Awful game management today.

Doesn't help that half the players he had available were not good enough and not prem standard.

We really have signed some shite.

We’ve signed what we’ve had to sign along the way. We weren’t going to go from the championship to signing multiple top half premier league players in every position.

The subs he chose to make today we’re what confused me. We had all the ball and needed some creativity. I’d have thought Carney and El Ghazi we’re more the players we needed than Sanson and Trezeguet. We almost handed them the win with defensive substitutions.

If we’d lost that game bringing on attacking players to go for the win I wouldn’t be that bothered. To lose it by handing Brentford the initiative with negative subs is frustrating.

• Like 3

Brentford were utterly awful, and yet, because we showed zero attacking intent or enterprise between minutes 17 and 88, we've totally embarrassed ourselves. 

The substitution of Sanson for Ramsey was a poor decision for mine. We needed creativity and someone to drive at them. That player was always going to be El Ghazi, yet for some bizarre reason we went with an unfit Trezeguet to replace Traore, who was dead on his feet after 70.

Also, I love Matt Targett, but we desperately need an upgrade on him. So many promising attacking moves break down with him it's not funny. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dale said:

We've lacked any creativity in his tenure so far. Rarely get to 1 on xG. 

Yep. Whether you think Gerrard is the long term solution or not, the tactical changes he has made has negated all creativity within the team.

The defence have to be on top form or we get shit

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Sure if we are regarding misplaced passes as good. 

Can go round in circles on this point for the rest of the season if we want.  Buendias trying to thread balls through defences and create chances. The assist is buendias game, that’s what he did for Norwich and exactly why we signed him. His biggest problem at the moment for me is he’s 2 steps ahead of everyone on the pitch and he needs to reign it in because he’s just losing possession. He’s getting some fitness now which is great to see, I think he’s quality. 

• Like 4

Mid table team, we'll win some and lose some and finish 12th.

Frustrating given the investment, but early days and really missing nakamba.

At least 1 new full back and 1 top class wide forward needed, also a proper dm on loan.

Nakamba has his limitations but he's the only dm we have and shown his strengths when he's only asked to play to them. Luiz Is better further forward.

El Ghazi, Trez should be sold if possible and make room for some of our youth options who may make it.

We were great for 30 minutes, then lost all edge and all sense of urgency. Disappointing. We seemed to lose our shape, we started giving the ball away, supporting runs weren't there. After the poor end to the first half, I thought that Gerrard would give the players the hairdryer treatment and they'd come out sharp to start the second half, but they didn't.

Buendia & Ramsey: At the heart of all that was right the first 30m; both faded.

Ings: Not only does Watkins look better without Ings, but Ings looks better without Watkins. Which do you play? We missed Watkins' pressing. However, I thought Ings was closer to being on the same wavelength as the rest of the team. He anticipates Buendia's passes better.

Dougie: Very good. Helped set up the goal.

Traore: Rusty.

McGinn: Mediocre.

Targett: Regressed. 100% at fault for the second goal.

Trezeguet: The acting for the "penalty" was disgraceful.

Best of Brentford: Have to give it to Wissa. The first goal was class.

• Like 1

Controlled the game against a very bleak, shaky and depleted Brentford team but could not execute.

A problem we have is that too many of players want ball to feet, which slows attacks down. The fluidity comes when there is a balance between attacking space without the ball and getting the ball to feet. Our goal was an exception - and wonderfully crafted. It looks like we lack pace in our squad, or at least confidence in it.

All in all very disappointing against a frankly awful team. Special mention to that Brentford player who looked to be pinning Buendias arm as they fell to the ground. What an absolute dick move. Type of thing that can cause serious injury and should be punished.

Possession is useless if you cannot create anything. Really disappointed with McGinn, made captain and showed nothing. The usual nonsense from the likes of Targett, Trez, Hause. The only reason I knew Sanson was on the pitch was because of the TV graphics telling me. Still waiting for this wonder midfielder to turn up. This squad has done it's job and kept us in the Prem, if we are to move on to achieve what the owners say they want it needs major investment to move it on.

Despite Brentford being mediocre at best, we got what we deserved.  You can play nice little triangles in the middle third all you want but if you are ponderous and blunt up front and leaky at the back it counts for nowt.

Buendia good, Traore dreadful, Targett poor, McGinn way below his best (although seemed to get fouled a lot without punishment) the rest meh. 

Trezeguet was Trezeguet in a nutshell – hopefully Gerrard saw enough of his headless chicken act and embarrassing play-acting to never let him near the first team again and usher him and his clown shoes towards the exit door.  Much rather Archer or JPB had come on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thug said:

That was awful.

I know he needs the right players for his system, but that’s the most boring performance from us in a long while.

It's been coming for a couple games now. Once we stopped pressing in the 1st half we never got back in the game. 

Another game where we create little to nothing. Take out the Norwich game and we are averaging less than 1 xG per game. 

Â