Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Wolves out played Spurs away today. The much much better side. They've signed two quality players in the last week for positions they needed them. They will finish above us.

Leicester are a mess. When we play them in four games time, if Rodgers and Gerrard are still in position, the loser is getting sacked.

Be very surprised if Leicester sack Rodgers . Purslow won’t sack SG he has to much invested in him . It will take the owners intervention to make a change , that I seriously can’t see at this point . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think the fear was we'd get sucked into a full-on relegation battle, which tbf Gerrard kept us out of. But yes clearly we made the wrong appointment.

I think the 5 game run in itself looked a lot worse than it was. The argument I could understand was 2021 as a whole was not up to scratch but that 5 game streak, it happens. Gerrard had a 4 game one himself. Don't think we'd have had any relegation worries once the squad got fully fit again. I pegged us for finishing 12th-14th back then. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think the 5 game run in itself looked a lot worse than it was. The argument I could understand was 2021 as a whole was not up to scratch but that 5 game streak, it happens. Gerrard had a 4 game one himself. Don't think we'd have had any relegation worries once the squad got fully fit again. I pegged us for finishing 12th-14th back then. 

I dunno we genuinely looked completely lost. Gerrard came in and there was a definite uptick. I guess a significant portion of that was a new manager bounce although as I said you could still signs of progression up until about March.

What I don't get is that tactically Gerrard set us up quite well when we went to Palace last season. Yet this season he's gone there with seemingly no idea whatsoever?

Edited by Mantis

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Going out now to a pals to watch the boxing later. 

Verdict, 99% of fans want Gerrard out. I wonder if the away fans feel the same. Once they turn, there's generally no way back!

I'd say less than 50%. The majority of fans aren't like the obsessed nutters like us on forums ;)

Enjoy the fight - hopefully AJ gets battered. 

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think it massively was. I think Purslow was desperate to get him and that bad spell gave him the perfect chance to do so.

We were linked with Gerrard towards the end of the Covid season when we finished 11th.

Now the biggest issue I have with Gerrard is his comments about distances between players . My biggest gripe with Smith was that the players were too far apart imo towards the end of his tenure. 

The fantastic start we had under smith (when we finished 11th) we were so compact. So when Gerrard came in it sounded like he had watched us and identified this as a problem with us.

He still hasn’t addressed this. We’re too open and our positioning is very very poor. One ball is all it took for them to have good chances . 

As I said in the ratings thread Viera came in and made a hump and hoof team predominately a footballing team. He was appointed a month before the season started.

Gerrard needs to improve asap otherwise he’ll be making programmes with Micah richards and Roy Keane.

Needs to work out what his best XI is and fast. Worryingly the one area of the team he does seem to have settled on, the midfield, is where we look worst. He's made a rod for his own back making McGinn captain.

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think I've said this before but the guy is a 40 year old baby boomer. I didn't think it was possible to be out of touch so early in a career, but he just sounds like Souness out there. The way he sees the game is just archaic.

We got to run through brick walls man. You've got to die for the shirt!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

We are in danger of sleepwalking through another season in this league. The level of investment means we will never be in any real danger because of the quality of the squad, but I cannot believe that NSWE are putting in the sort of money that they have and inflated the wage bill to finish 12th-15th.

The level of performance since Gerrard’s arrival has gone backwards, those first games I saw a competitiveness and aggression to our play, but we’re just too easy to play against, especially at Villa Park and on too many occasions against teams that we should be putting to the sword.

For the first time I’m sat thinking that Steven Gerrard is in a bit of trouble here, we’re yet to see very much already this season and with West Ham, Arsenal and Man City next to play in the league, we could easily see ourselves with 3 points from 18, and confidence at rock bottom.

Just watching our first opponent fail to impose their physicality on Arsenal, like they did on us.

We are "too easy to play against" and that trait has been with us for some time and shows no signs of vanishing.

I am quite frankly surprised SG is presiding over this, which leaves me snookered as to whats gone wrong.

This team of ours right now is Insipid.....I have banged the drum on a lack of physicality,in our squad,  Yet slight Arsenal players are holding the Bournemouth players off.....they simply don't go to ground like ours.

I think we have a serious situation, to solve.....but SG's after match comments are just typical denial, from a manager without solutions.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I asked for those calling for him to be gone before the season started to give him time. I said, wait until we lose to Bournemouth and Everton before acting like we already had.

Well, we didn't lose to Everton,  but we still weren't by any stretch good.

And then we repeated all the same mistakes we always do against Palace. Ramsey and McGinn should never play in the same midfield. 

He's got no more games left to justify himself to me.  I want him gone.  And I cannot see him turning it around to change my mind.  He's shown he's too stubborn to change his ways already. For a coach that is still learning his way,  the fact he refuses to learn is going to cost him a career.

Gerrard out.

Edited by MrBlack

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Just watching our first opponent fail to impose their physicality on Arsenal, like the did on us.

We are "too easy to play against" and that trait has been with us for some time and shows no signs of vanishing.

I am quite frankly surprised SG is presiding over this, which leaves me snookered as to whats gone wrong.

This team of ours right now is Insipid.....I have banged the drum on a lack of physicality,in our squad,  Yet slight Arsenal players are holding the Bournemouth players off.....they simply don't go to ground like ours.

I think we have a serious situation, to solve.....but SG's after match comments are just typical denial, from a manager without solutions.

It’s called coaching mate!

• Like 1

Â