Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

People keep saying he's "Purslow's man" but so was Smith was he not?

Gerrard feels different. The Liverpool connection makes this feel much more like Purslows personal appointment than Smith did. Smith made perfect sense to everyone at the club and the fans, and 2 years of brilliant success helps. I’m not sure the Gerard's appointment ever felt that obvious or natural, which makes the Purslow connection seem more influential to the appointment. Maybe I’m wrong and all the stats back up Gerrard as the outstanding candidate but it doesn’t feel like that.

• Like 1

There was alot of gobshite soundbites when he cam in about his youth team coaching and understanding the importance of youth players. Then he goes and signs two near 30 year olds on bloated wages first transfer window.

The emperor's New clothes of a manager.

Edited by stewiek2

1 minute ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Gerrard feels different. The Liverpool connection makes this feel much more like Purslows personal appointment than Smith did. Smith made perfect sense to everyone at the club and the fans, and 2 years of brilliant success helps. I’m not sure the Gerard's appointment ever felt that obvious or natural, which makes the Purslow connection seem more influential to the appointment. Maybe I’m wrong and all the stats back up Gerrard as the outstanding candidate but it doesn’t feel like that.

Smith was also small risk on small wages so it isn't the same. 

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I meant from when he joined....I was hoping Bournemouth was a one  off, but it clearly isn't.

The things I see wrong, and there are many, are just not being addressed.

I can't defend him anymore......I just don't know what the club will do.....But those performances, left unchecked, WILL take us down.

Agree tro   We’ve seen it many times before - it only ends one way from here , only question is when ?  I think purslow will fight for him and he will get until October 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Somebody please get rid of this buffoon, same old meaningless shite:

Wants players to stick together but then spreads his Midfield so wide you could drive Semi-truck through the gaps. 

1 minute ago, By the arse of McGinn said:

3 wins in 14 and he wants to blame big decisions going against us. 

The only big decision that’s gone against us is Purslows decision to give him the job.  

That’s outrageous! Quite simply, HE HAS TO GO!

Or we are f***ed!!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Smith was not panicked-sacked. We were regressing under Smith for quite some time. Gerrard was obviously the wrong appointment but people need to stop pretending we were moving along ok under Smith because in the end we weren't.

Ignores a hell of a lot that went on during the summer and those first few months. But of course we have to stick with the narrative. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Ignores a hell of a lot that went on during the summer and those first few months. But of course we have to stick with the narrative. 

I was almost as big a fan of Dean as you were mate, but I could see by the end that he had to go. It’s just unfortunate that it’s looking more and more by the week that we’ve made a mistake with his replacement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I just can’t get excited about anything with this pitiful excuse for a manager in charge… not even new signings…

You can’t look at it that way. With or without Gerrard we still want good players in the squad and Sarr is a very good.

This would be an exciting signing. It’s just straight after that performance everything feels shit.

• Like 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

I just can’t get excited about anything with this pitiful excuse for a manager in charge… not even new signings…

That's where I am.

I feel like we need to take stock and decide how we move forward without Gerrard instead of spunking 30 mill away on another player. 

We paid a fortune to get him and his backroom team in and no doubt it will cost even more to get rid of them, we've commited to big contracts on his players, predominantly at a higher age bracket. It feels dangerous now going any further in with him. 

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I was almost as big a fan of Dean as you were mate, but I could see by the end that he had to go. It’s just unfortunate that it’s looking more and more by the week that we’ve made a mistake with his replacement.

I disagree. If he'd stayed I'd doubt it would be worse. We could have seen how the season ended and reassessed in the summer. 

We didn't. The first proper time things didn't go to plan and we chucked it all away to jump at the chance to get Gerrard. 

• Like 2

Â