Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Gerrard may have confidence in his players but do they have confidence in him?  Players will always look to a manager to sort out a bad result/run. However, if Gerrard has lost some or most of the dressing room, results by and large won’t improve, hence the inconsistency.

I still maintain that he doesn’t know his best team? Every week we see two or three changes. This can’t go on much longer and certainly until the World Cup break.

I don’t think he’s a bad bloke and he’s been a winner most of his career but sometimes you have to realise/accept your limitations. Perhaps the Premier League and being at Aston Villa is just too big right now in his career? 

Edited by ferguson1

1 minute ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I don’t think he’s under much pressure at all yet. Gerrard is Purslow’s man so I would be very surprised to see him sacked before 10 - 15 games have passed assuming he scrapes the odd draw. It will be bloody expensive to sack him also.

People keep saying he's "Purslow's man" but so was Smith was he not?

1 minute ago, Bazmonkey said:

Do I think Gerrard is the man to guide us forward...honestly I don't think so.

But at the same time....we had the same core of players for the past three years....cant polish a turd and all that.

Yes there will be some improvement...maybe a little but we have manager learning a trade in the hardest league in Europe with a bunch of players who simply are not good enough.

Recipe for disaster or we except...we are likely to finish 13th -15th....win a couple....draw a couple...lose half the games

We won’t go down with or without Gerrard. Owners need to work out if he is the man to take us forward. On that display I do wonder what is going on. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

We won’t go down with or without Gerrard. Owners need to work out if he is the man to take us forward. On that display I do wonder what is going on. 

I'd hope you're right, but the league table is going to be making people feel very nervous in 3-4 games

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Gerrard may have confidence in his players but do they have confidence in him?  Players will always look to a manager to sort out a bad result/run. However, if Gerrard has lost some or most of the dressing room, results by and large won’t improve, hence the inconsistency.

I still maintain that he doesn’t know his best team? Every week we see two or three changes. This can’t go on much longer and certainly until the World Cup break.

I don’t think a bad bloke and he’s been a winner most of his career but sometimes you have to realise/accept your limitations. Perhaps the Premier League and being at Aston Villa is just too big right now in his career? 

I watched the body language of the players heading out for the second half and it's obvious to me he's lost their confidence. 

No-one talking, McGinn looking anxious and failing to offer leadership, everyone just shuffling around, walking and not jogging back to their places for the game. 

Just get rid now it's so clearly done. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Do I think Gerrard is the man to guide us forward...honestly I don't think so.

But at the same time....we had the same core of players for the past three years....cant polish a turd and all that.

Yes there will be some improvement...maybe a little but we have manager learning a trade in the hardest league in Europe with a bunch of players who simply are not good enough.

Recipe for disaster or we except...we are likely to finish 13th -15th....win a couple....draw a couple...lose half the games

Aren't good enough to beat, Bournemouth, Brighton, Palace, Brentford.

I know we have blamed the players before, but they are on the level of the above teams at least. It's on the manager this time 100%. You have already said Gerrard is learning his trade, this is the problem, you cannot do that in the Premier League, not a chance!!

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

It was always a likely outcome. His CV was frankly too ill equipped for a job like this, and his playing career has no bearing.

It was his character, that attracted me....like Viera's does......but I was never expecting this.....I can't defend that shitshow.

Its a worry, when arguably lesser players in terms of ability, Totally outplay us, unless we are over valuing our own players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

its looking more and more like a lot of you were right. What else can I say? Blind hope and support only takes you so far I guess. 

**** Footbal. Ain’t gonna let it ruin my evening.

Nothing wrong with being positive and hopeful

One day it will come good again for Villa😉 damn that's the hope part again

• Like 1

I think he's lucky it was an away game today, the fans have turned and managers don't survive when the crowd are on their back. I think he's cooked, but he won't be gone this week, and a good performance against West Ham could prolong the inevitable.

4 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Thats laughable Mr Gerrard. The big decisions didn't go against us, we were shite for 85 mins. Yes it shouldn't have been a penalty but that had no bearing whatsoever on the result.

This is when it turns.....when anyone tries to defend the indefendable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It was always a likely outcome. His CV was frankly too ill equipped for a job like this, and his playing career has no bearing.

Got bested by a manager today who actually had to earn his way into the PL. Steven's CV should have had him no where near a PL job but he won't be the last who uses a big dose of nepotism to jump over a number of more worthy managers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What game did he watch? He has no clue

He says "the results on me", something he often says as a throwaway line when we lose, but never elaborates on it or genuinely owns any mistakes he's made in the set up of the team. I don't think he genuinely believes the result is his fault and the written quotes from his reported by Ashley Preece about players needing to find consistency seems to suggest who he really thinks is to blame

1 minute ago, david-avfc said:

He says "the results on me", something he often says as a throwaway line when we lose, but never elaborates on it or genuinely owns any mistakes he's made in the set up of the team. I don't think he genuinely believes the result is his fault and the written quotes from his reported by Ashley Preece about players needing to find consistency seems to suggest who he really thinks is to blame

Absolutely. It’s so fake when he claims to take the blame. He has no clue.

We are in danger of sleepwalking through another season in this league. The level of investment means we will never be in any real danger because of the quality of the squad, but I cannot believe that NSWE are putting in the sort of money that they have and inflated the wage bill to finish 12th-15th.

The level of performance since Gerrard’s arrival has gone backwards, those first games I saw a competitiveness and aggression to our play, but we’re just too easy to play against, especially at Villa Park and on too many occasions against teams that we should be putting to the sword.

For the first time I’m sat thinking that Steven Gerrard is in a bit of trouble here, we’re yet to see very much already this season and with West Ham, Arsenal and Man City next to play in the league, we could easily see ourselves with 3 points from 18, and confidence at rock bottom.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm just sad that Villa have indulged in this football nepotism for lack of a better word, where famous ex-players are gifted huge jobs that they are clearly unqualified for. We wasted a year on an experiment that Stevie Wonder could see was likely never going to work out. Dean Smith had to go, but not for this ffs.

I genuinely think we’d be doing better if we’d just stuck with Dean Smith. It was a terrible preseason with the Grealish saga that led us to his poor start but we would have stabilised again. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What game did he watch? He has no clue

Funny he didn't mention his own lack of awareness to see we were being overran in midfield and switch it at half time. Or that once again the FB's were running around like headless chicken instead of defending first. His captain and alternate number 8 being predominantly shite. Doing the same to Kamara as has been done to DL in exposing him playing DM on his own. Not playing the in form CB in Chambers. He says so much yet it means so little when it translates to what we saw today. 

Â