Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

My take on SG system.

He wants a flat back 4, with at least one CH being a good passer, hence Carlos, the 2 FBs being comfortable going forward.

He has a CDM who drops in to protect the CHs and cover when one of the FBs is attacking, hence Kamara. He wants one of the midfielders to be an attacking midfielder who will get you goals but puts a shift in. a la Platt, that long term will be Ramsey, the other midfielder is more of a passer with physicality, hence why he was after Bissouma.

He wants a playmaker in the final 1/3rd, PC or Emi, a widish goalscoring attacker, we haven't got one, Bailey at a push, and a striker who makes runs and can finish, we haven't got one. 

Now SG will get all the blame, managers always do, but i like the system he likes, but 3 of the positions he wants better quality in are badly letting us down. Bissouma would have made a big difference, but thats in the past, Watkins never holds the ball up, gives it away far too much, and his lack of ability may be the reason why we don't play it more quickly. Bailey shows signs, but you watch Zaha or Eze today, and that is what we need.

Give Gerrard this season, his purchases are better than Smiths, so if he does lack tactical knowhow like some of you seem to think, then the remnants of his reign will be better than what he inherited,

Poch will be Ure manager before Christmas

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

You can’t look at it that way. With or without Gerrard we still want good players in the squad and Sarr is a very good.

This would be an exciting signing. It’s just straight after that performance everything feels shit.

I don’t trust this git to set us up correctly or instil a proper style and effective form of football, regardless of the players.

As I’ve said before, we are just wasting time and money and being embarrassed and surpassed by other teams that have inferior resources and even individual players… just throwing money at the problem is not a solution. What we need is proper coaching and there is no semblance of that.

The only solution is to get rid and bring someone capable in and then we will see a lot better from our existing players, let alone any new ones coming in…

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree. If he'd stayed I'd doubt it would be worse. We could have seen how the season ended and reassessed in the summer. 

We didn't. The first proper time things didn't go to plan and we chucked it all away to jump at the chance to get Gerrard. 

Infuriating.

Utter stupidity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Give Gerrard this season

We'll go down.

his purchases are better than Smiths, so if he does lack tactical knowhow like some of you seem to think, then the remnants of his reign will be better than what he inherited.

Doesn't matter who he signs. We play like shit because he can't coach, pick an XI, make subs or set-up a team.

My take on SG system.

He wants a flat back 4, with at least one CH being a good passer, hence Carlos, the 2 FBs being comfortable going forward.

He has a CDM who drops in to protect the CHs and cover when one of the FBs is attacking, hence Kamara. He wants one of the midfielders to be an attacking midfielder who will get you goals but puts a shift in. a la Platt, that long term will be Ramsey, the other midfielder is more of a passer with physicality, hence why he was after Bissouma.

He wants a playmaker in the final 1/3rd, PC or Emi, a widish goalscoring attacker, we haven't got one, Bailey at a push, and a striker who makes runs and can finish, we haven't got one. 

Now SG will get all the blame, managers always do, but i like the system he likes, but 3 of the positions he wants better quality in are badly letting us down. Bissouma would have made a big difference, but thats in the past, Watkins never holds the ball up, gives it away far too much, and his lack of ability may be the reason why we don't play it more quickly. Bailey shows signs, but you watch Zaha or Eze today, and that is what we need.

Give Gerrard this season, his purchases are better than Smiths, so if he does lack tactical knowhow like some of you seem to think, then the remnants of his reign will be better than what he inherited,

They’re not his purchases, they’re the clubs. Lange’s. 

a good manager uses what he has. What we need is someone who looks at the OBVIOUS qualities this side has and plays to its strengths.

2 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

My take on SG system.

My position really. Things look bad now, and I feel awful, but we can't predict the future and we know nothing of who is truly available to take over. Not like they can come out and say that Potter or Poch said no who we're stuck with Gerrard. 

But yeah, we look like relegation candidates and that worries me. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree. If he'd stayed I'd doubt it would be worse. We could have seen how the season ended and reassessed in the summer. 

We didn't. The first proper time things didn't go to plan and we chucked it all away to jump at the chance to get Gerrard. 

This implies that the decision to sack Smith was due in part so we could get Gerrard in, when I really don't think that was the case at all.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Gerrards the problem yes, not that we sacked Smith. If we got in a decent manager, Smith sacking would not have been mentioned.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Dean Smith given the short shrift was never the problem. Appointing a worse manager was.

Get this moron out.

Prime example of when people just ignore everything that happened in pre season and those first couple of months.

I mean, look at that team. 

Just now, Mantis said:

This implies that the decision to sack Smith was due in part so we could get Gerrard in, when I really don't think that was the case at all.

I think it massively was. I think Purslow was desperate to get him and that bad spell gave him the perfect chance to do so.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Dean Smith given the short shrift was never the problem. Appointing a worse manager was.

Get this moron out.

The point at the time was always we shouldn’t just sack Smith UNLESS there’s someone demonstrably better to come in. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

We'll go down.

Doesn't matter who he signs. We play like shit because he can't coach, pick an XI, make subs or set-up a team.

No way we down and he’ll leave us in a better place squad wise for the next manager. That will probably be sooner rather than later. So signings like Sarr ain’t such a bad thing.  

Just now, DCJonah said:

I think it massively was. I think Purslow was desperate to get him and that bad spell gave him the perfect chance to do so.

I think most sackings are. I doubt you sack a guy hoping some other guy will say yes. It's too much of a gamble, so yes, I think feelers went out and it was part of the reason.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Gerrards the problem yes, not that we sacked Smith. If we got in a decent manager, Smith sacking would not have been mentioned.

To some extent, but we didn't. 

I'd have no problem moving on from Smith and chucking that away for proven quality. 

To do it for this is **** ridiculous.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No way we down and he’ll leave us in a better place squad wise for the next manager. That will probably be sooner rather than later. So signings like Sarr ain’t such a bad thing.  

He stays the season, we're going down. Everton the only worse side I've seen.

Rather sack him right now and let others buy players for a new manager.

Â