Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think it massively was. I think Purslow was desperate to get him and that bad spell gave him the perfect chance to do so.

Based on what? This is pure conjecture with no actual evidence for it beyond the fact that Gerrard and Purslow knew each other at Liverpool.

Once again, sacking Smith was absolutely the right decision, the problem was who we got to replace him.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

He stays the season, we're going down. Everton the only worse side I've seen.

Rather sack him right now and let others buy players for a new manager.

I don’t think we would go down even if he has the whole season. But it wouldn’t be pretty.

Just now, DCJonah said:

To some extent, but we didn't. 

I'd have no problem moving on from Smith and chucking that away for proven quality. 

To do it for this is **** ridiculous.

Even if Smith carried on being half decent, he was never going to be our future, as he would never be able to attract the caliber of player we need to move on.

• Like 1

Something like..." I don't think we controlled the game at all. We didn't retain possession. We allowed Palace to dictate. We need to improve that man for man, who look at the system and personell because it was unacceptable."

Instead. We didn't run hard. Win our duels. Or show enough pashun.

He's an absolute fraud. Crap coach. Crap manager. Crap pundit. Crap analyst.

He doesn't get it.

• Like 1

I think I've said this before but the guy is a 40 year old baby boomer. I didn't think it was possible to be out of touch so early in a career, but he just sounds like Souness out there. The way he sees the game is just archaic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I actually liked it when we signed Gerrard, but in reality I think alot of us were blinded by his ability to attract some decent players.

In reality he can't even get a decent game out of Coutinho, so been a bit of a waste.

This.

Sometimes a manager and club just click and I was optimistic that this would be the case. Maybe it was because I thought that he had not long retired as one of the best midfielders to play in the Prem; someone that understood what it would take to do well in this league. 

As it turned out, we might as well have employed Alan Pardew 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Gerrards the problem yes, not that we sacked Smith. If we got in a decent manager, Smith sacking would not have been mentioned.

Yeah no problem with sacking Smith, but not for this. Might as well have let him see out the season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

Yeah no problem with sacking Smith, but not for this. Might as well have let him see out the season. 

I think the fear was we'd get sucked into a full-on relegation battle, which tbf Gerrard kept us out of. But yes clearly we made the wrong appointment.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Based on what? This is pure conjecture with no actual evidence for it beyond the fact that Gerrard and Purslow knew each other at Liverpool.

Once again, sacking Smith was absolutely the right decision, the problem was who we got to replace him.

It did seem to be known on here the day before Dean got sacked that Gerrard would be taking over after that match and it was a bit out of the blue.  It could have been a lucky guesser pretending to be ITK I suppose but there didn't seem to be a serious interviewing process from what I remember.  I can't think of any real reason for Gerrard to have been such a strong favourite to take over unless Purslow desperately wanted it.

4 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

I think Leicester and Wolves have got more to worry about than us, but we're heading for 14th-17th at this rate.

Wolves out played Spurs away today. The much much better side. They've signed two quality players in the last week for positions they needed them. They will finish above us.

Leicester are a mess. When we play them in four games time, if Rodgers and Gerrard are still in position, the loser is getting sacked.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

It did seem to be known on here the day before Dean got sacked that Gerrard would be taking over after that match and it was a bit out of the blue.  It could have been a lucky guesser pretending to be ITK I suppose but there didn't seem to be a serious interviewing process from what I remember.  I can't think of any real reason for Gerrard to have been such a strong favourite to take over unless Purslow desperately wanted it.

I've got a family member who works at Villa. Gerrard coming in was known about for at least a couple of weeks before Deano got sacked.

Â