Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, Zatman said:

Simon Jordan is very critical of this, has said he hasnt left Rangers with a solid base for new manager to takeover 

Yeah, the are only 4 points clear at the top and are current league champions, their team must be a mess. What will hurt them is having their coaching team taken away. 

Just now, Zatman said:

Simon Jordan is very critical of this, has said he hasnt left Rangers with a solid base for new manager to takeover 

Simon Jordan also said he thinks he's a great fit for us... He's said loads of positives to be fair to him. Never heard him say a bad word about Villa, he always shows the club respect. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Yep much as we mostly dislike Bruce I think *at the time of the appointment* he was the right man at the right time. Went because he couldn’t get us back up but if we had appointed the wrong person then we were on our way to League One. It was the right move to bring him in, and the right move to sack him to move forward. Hopefully we will be saying that last sentence about the Smith/Gerrard transition in a couple of years.

I went to Reading away on a Tuesday night. We hadn't won an away game for 15 months and we got a last minute penalty. Absolute scenes and  for me it was the start of the fight back.

• Like 1

Not thrilled at all with this one.  I don't see him as an upgrade on Smith at all, but I'll back him.  Hopefully he gets us into Europe next season, or the board is as ruthless with him as they were with Smith when he hits a bad run of form.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Oh come on. It's not like he took Greenock Morton to the champions league, is it? 

Not saying he did, but what league were Rangers in when he look over, what financial position were they in.

I'm not saying he's what Cruyff was to Barca  but surely you can admit that he has done a good job?

1 minute ago, hippo said:

It doesn't.

But just highlighting he could bomb at villa and still get the Liverpool job.

So he does naff all with our players, is supported in the transfer market and goes on to have  one of the worst PL records in 2022 and we sack him and you think he will get the Liverpool job. Your argument against Gerrard would be much stronger if you didn't add so much narrative 

1 minute ago, Stratvillan said:

Not saying he did, but what league were Rangers in when he look over, what financial position were they in.

I'm not saying he's what Cruyff was to Barca  but surely you can admit that he has done a good job?

They finished 3rd the season before he took over. 12 points or so behind. Its nothing miraculous since he got a big budget to improve them. He just won one trophy out of 9 available 

12 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Funny thing is...Most the football world think it's a great appointment and fit for us. Seems to be only home fans getting wound up. It's a crazy crazy world. 

Not the fans  I'm speaking to , even Liverpool fans see the risk for him and us. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

The problem with people nailing their colours to the mast is that they’ll be forever trying to be shown to right which is exhausting for everyone else.

Therein lies the underlying narrative of every Manager thread (McLeish and Garde excepted) on here since O'Neill walked out

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

So he does naff all with our players, is supported in the transfer market and goes on to have  one of the worst PL records in 2022 and we sack him and you think he will get the Liverpool job. Your argument against Gerrard would be much stronger if you didn't add so much narrative 

What ? 

It's not really controversial. I'm saying he could fail at villa and still go on to get the Liverpool job at some point.

Ive not said anything about him being the worst in the PL in 2022 - or squandering millions in the transfer market.

Â