Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Well I think it's a massive risk and we are in a position we didn't need to do this. I didn't like hiring Bruce, I knew exactly what we were getting and how dreadful it was going to be. At least with Gerrard I have no idea, so potential to be good.

I'll always back a new manager and this is no different. Our worst area is midfield and surely he knows how to fix that, can only be good for the likes of Chuk & Ramsey brothers too.

Stevie G's Claret and Blue Army as they say! UTV.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Terrible appointment.

I'm expecting a vast immediate improvement and for him to take us to the next level otherwise we may as well have kept Smith.

None of this he needs time bollocks.

Prove me wrong.

So we are to treat Gerrard differently to how we treated Dean? Did u expect a vast and immediate improvement from Dean starting with Brighton?

Two things give me hope about this appointment:

1. Reading that he's been fascinated with tactics since he was a player. We need a tactician.

2. Reading that the first thing he did at Rangers was clean up their defence. That's what put Rangers over the top. Defence is our biggest problem right now. If he cleans that up, we should move up the table.

I always rated him as a player, other than the fact that he liked to dive too much. Some may hate him because he was associated with Liverpool, but I missed the Great Liverpool Dictatorship and started following football just in time for the Great Manchester United Dictatorship, so I hate the latter (and Chelsea) more than the former. It doesn't bother me.

Besides, even if you think he's a bastard, he's our bastard now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Oh FFS I thought the Leeds weirdos were bad but a Liverpool /Rangers influx sounds sickening

god they're all over the AVFC FB comment section already

5 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Yeah I'd be interested to know this. Newcastle and Villa are similar big fan base through-the-roof expectations type clubs. I can't see why he'd turn them down and not us.

Their squad is complete trash bar two or three players, don't have anywhere near a similar style to him currently, are smack in the middle of a relegation battle (not that we are far off but they're undeniably in the mix) and have every club desperate not to sell their players to them in January.

If he was offered the Newcastle job next summer, with £200m to spend, a pre season and premier League safety assured already it would be a different situation I suppose had they got there first then.

But not sure there's any proof he actually turned them down

Got 3 big calls/areas to focus on over the next few months purely based on performances by our players so far and the formation SG likes to play (supposedly):

Watkins or Ings as the striker

Getting the most out of our midfield  (McGinn and Luiz for me.) 

Targetts replacement

and I suppose as a given, improvement of performances but most importantly points. 

1 hour ago, kevpants said:

I'm depressed about this because I'm now older than the Villa manager for the first time. I was just about coming to terms with being older than all of the players, this is a new low.

Welcome to the club Kev. Your official club cardigan and slippers set is in the post. 

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Having read all week about the importance of Michael Beale  , he doesn't seem to be part of the deal  and not coming ? 

Him and McCallister are coming aren't they?  Not confirmed by AVFC yet but all the media outlets were reporting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

Yes, Purslow hasn't said anything yet publicly, but 4 staff wanted. The obvious two, as well as performance analyst. The fourth will either be set piece coach or another of his analyst team

Purslow confirmed  Gerrards  backroom staff are coming with him 

The timing is good for us. Much better than later in the season. The new coaches will have between now and the end of Dec to get a good handle on what we have and what we need and then the window opens. Obviously some 'fans' don't want him to have time to get to know the player but thankfully we have more mature thinkers managing our club

5 minutes ago, TomC said:

1. Reading that he's been fascinated with tactics since he was a player. We need a tactician.

I remember reading the exact same thing about OGS  ... lets hope Gerrard actually uses his tactics book :) 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

We have higher expectations. In October 2016 we had won 4 league games in about 50 matches  under 3 different coaches and 2 owners, and hadn't won an away game for over a year. We were utterly shite.

Yep much as we mostly dislike Bruce I think *at the time of the appointment* he was the right man at the right time. Went because he couldn’t get us back up but if we had appointed the wrong person then we were on our way to League One. It was the right move to bring him in, and the right move to sack him to move forward. Hopefully we will be saying that last sentence about the Smith/Gerrard transition in a couple of years.

• Like 2

Â