Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Welcome to the club.

I've been throwing this one around in my mind for the last few days and I really can't see many if any negatives to this at all. One negative I've heard is that if he's a success then he's off to Liverpool. But if that's the case then Aston Villa have been a success too, and we hire from a position of strength.

Whether he will be a success or not is obviously far from a guarantee, but I don't see it is a particularly risky choice either.

He knows the league like the back of his hand. The quailty and speed and pressure will not be a shock to him. So he'll know from day one what will and won't work. He won't need any acclimatisation period. Other than to get to know the players and implement whatever system he wants to play. But that's the same with any manager, experienced or otherwise.

Of the positives. He's a winner (Premier League jokes aside). His standards are very high. He has continued to win in Scotland. I like the cut of his managerial jib from what I've seen so far. How he carries himself and interviews.

He's also the profile of player that current squad players will immediately respect. He's a profile that new players will want to sign for.

Although achievements in Scotland can be difficult to put into perspective, the absolute least is that you succeed in Scotland, and he did that in spades. He didn't just win the SPL title. He went undefeated. And he turned a 12pt deficit into a 25pt advantage over Celtic in 3 seasons. He has shown he can manage successfully, and has the temperament required, that some of his peers lacked going into management.

I think he'll give Villa a bit of nasty on the pitch. A bit of bite. We certainly won't be naïve or 'too nice' which we've often accused ourselves of being.

I'm enthusiastic about this appointment. I didn't want us to lose Smith as quickly as we did, but now that we have, I think this is a very canny appointment. I think we may be hiring again in 2.5 or 3.5 years but then we'd probably be doing that anyway. I think we'll be doing it for positive reasons and not the negative one.

Agree with all of this but I’d also add Micheal Beale sounds like a very good coach. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Steven Gerrard signs 467 year contract.

Told ya, no commitment at all or would have signed for 500 years with a 1000 year option on the back end

GERRARD OUT 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

He's scouse mate, not a murderer. 

Sky love him and so we might just get a bit more fairer treatment from them going forward, who knows? 

You know that you don't need to commit a crime to not be a likable person, right?

Spoiler

There's some bizarre responses on here.

He is a young hungry coach, who has dragged a team to the top of Scottish football. OK , it's Scottish, does that mean we shouldn't sign Scottish players either?

He is a Scouser who is clearly a Liverpool fan. I don't care! The only way he is getting to Anfield is if he does a super job with Villa.

In terms of him not supporting  the club, when is they a prerequisite for being a manager? I'm assuming Dean Smith will work again. Is Klopp a Liverpool fan?

We were never going to attract a top manager because we are not a top team. We are battling relegation  haven't been in Europe in decades  haven't won a trophy in 25 years. 

The fact that some posters are being so critical is hilarious. Do you know something that no one else does?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I like the coaching ticket he brings with him. The formation he used at Rangers fits our squad very well which is good. Also he has an aura about him which hopefully can bring the best out of players. That will also be of help in growing the club's revenue and also in attracting new players to Villa. 

It also cements that NSWE are going to continue to heavily invest in the squad

Hopefully, he can add a bit of steel to our play. Sick of our teams being a soft touch. 

1 minute ago, Stratvillan said:

He is a young hungry coach, who has dragged a team to the top of Scottish football. OK , it's Scottish, does that mean we shouldn't sign Scottish players either?

He is a Scouser who is clearly a Liverpool fan. I don't care! The only way he is getting to Anfield is if he does a super job with Villa.

In terms of him not supporting  the club, when is they a prerequisite for being a manager? I'm assuming Dean Smith will work again. Is Klopp a Liverpool fan?

We were never going to attract a top manager because we are not a top team. We are battling relegation  haven't been in Europe in decades  haven't won a trophy in 25 years. 

The fact that some posters are being so critical is hilarious. Do you know something that no one else does?

Oh come on. It's not like he took Greenock Morton to the champions league, is it? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Welcome Steven, you have chosen wisely.

He's got my support and a good degree of optimism for the future. I like the way we went about getting him, and his initial comments suggest that the ambitions of the club are still very much in place and that he shares those ambitions, that's promising.

He'll need our patience, there's work to be done and this is a tough job, if he's given that, and the support from the board is there, then this could be a very interesting era indeed.

Oh, and a big welcome back to the boys from the BBC and Sky, lovely to see you again.

Lol. So true. 

1 minute ago, Stratvillan said:

OGS got the Manu job - despite bombing at Cardiff.

He will be the Liverpool boss one day. Regardless of what he does at villa 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, nick76 said:

4 pages in and this thread sounds like funeral service commentary book so far.

Just thinking the same, bloody hell, cheer up!! Didn't want the Newcastle job, yet jumped at us!! With his whole backroom team coming in, we will be competitive I believe. He is a winner and leader and I think he will get us fit and up the table. Interested to see what he makes of our youth prospects. See Jacob Ramsay getting some solid support. He will be respected by the young players and I think raise the profile of the club even more. Let's get behind him and hope for the best!! UTV

• Like 1

Â