Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I knew Only Fools and Horses would be on that list 😂

I can imagine him and Gary Mac. “This time next Gaz we will be the best managers in the world”

Edited by gwi1890
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Absolutely. Should be 'are'. 

Going to flog this dead horse but absolutely one of my pet hates, especially when talking about football teams. As soon as I see “Aston Villa is” I stop reading.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Going to flog this dead horse but absolutely one of my pet hates, especially when talking about football teams. As soon as I see “Aston Villa is” I stop reading.

Aston Villa is a football club - no?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

Aston Villa is a football club - no?

Are a football club for me

"is" is an Americanism linked to referring to the city rather than team

Liverpool the team = are

Liverpool the city = is

And watching NFL the commentators will often lean towards the city name rather than the team name so will use is, football for me will refer to the team name, the team being a collective embodiment, at the basic level of the players let alone everything else that forms the team / club and therefore being plural hence "are"

• Like 2

21 hours ago, blandy said:

Yes because U2, the band, are made up of 4 members.

So, if you think the correct form is: "U2 is playing tonight", what would be an appropriate reply? 

(a) "Oh, are they?" 

(b) "Oh, is it?" 

17 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

It's the correct term though I believe.

51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, if you think the correct form is: "U2 is playing tonight", what would be an appropriate reply? 

(a) "Oh, are they?" 

(b) "Oh, is it?" 

We’ve concluded, I think, that Aston Villa is a vital community asset. It is a football club. The club is over 140 years old and is supported by many fans. The team was managed (badly) by Gerrard and the club was under threat of relegation. The club is now managed by a more experienced manager.

As for your question, the answer is “Like I could care less” 😜

1 hour ago, useless said:

Being linked to the Paris Saint-Germain job.

He better get in quick, I hear that Roberto Martinez is currently writing a resignation letter to the Portugeuse FA 😂

Edited by stewiek2

Â