Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

26 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Entire coaching philosophy in a nutshell again. Stay in shape and someone do something **** extraordinary please.

Steve Bruce without the Bingo WIngs.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

He’s such a fan boy though isn’t he, nothing wrong with supporting your club but he just can’t move forward and concentrate on his coaching career anything involving with Liverpool and it’s yes I’ll be there.

It’s weird isn’t it as JT didn’t stop fanboying over Chelsea but did still take his coaching and time with Villa seriously. There’s a line that can actually be toed successfully. JT’s love in with Chelsea was nauseating at times but he’s such a born winner that you know less than 100% in whatever he is doing isn’t an option. I don’t think we even got 30% of Gerrard. 

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

Bollocks, he said he was all in on numerous occasions 

All in is a man like Emery whilst managing Lorca and celebrated like a mad man when he beat his hometown club Real Union (who he now owns) the club his grandfather played for  to win promotion to the second division whilst his brother and father screamed abuse at him from the stands 🤣.

21 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

It's sad that you could see him trying to play vicariously through McGinn and Ramsay - trying to will them to become Gerrard midfielders with moments of magic and ironically playing them out of position. Even tried to deploy McGinn as a 6 like Rodgers did later in his career and it led to that Wolves calamity.

Can't coach your way back onto the pitch Stevie.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The McGinn and Ramsey thing made it so clear that he can't see beyond his playing career when it comes to football. He thinks all midfielders should be more like him, completely oblivious to the fact that he was very limited and without his "moments of magic" he'd basically be Mark Noble. When you compare him to his contemporaries, Seedorf, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes etc, it's completely obvious that he lacked the ability to control the tempo of a match from midfield.

And that's exactly how he had Villa playing. Just completely cavernous gaps in midfield left by either McGinn or Ramsey bombing forward in search of their moment of magic with only poor Boubacar left to hold the fort. Unable to hold meaningful possession in midfield, almost as if we never practiced it on the training pitch. It's one of the biggest disparities to Unai's reign so far. We actually try (with varying success) to keep the ball and control the match. Unai has talked about this on numerous occasions by now. With Gerrard it was just "yeah we want to become a more possession-based side", and the whole idea was likely nothing more than "buy better players, possession number go up". What an eye-opening 12 months that was.

Funnily enough - I thought Gerrard was at his best playing CF or second striker with Torres under Benitez.

Almost as if McGinn should be played further up the pitch...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Funnily enough - I thought Gerrard was at his best playing CF or second striker with Torres under Benitez.

Yeah that period where he was playing behind Torres was his best. Not even Xabi Alonso and Mascherano putting on a masterclass behind him would let his ego see past "I'm an all-action midfielder" though. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DJBOB said:

There was a reason he only played 10 or right wing 99% under Rafa.

PSG really messing up if they allow him to slip through their fingers and move to Turkey. Could really raise the profile of their club and bring some of his "winning" personality.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is in Turkey speaking to Trabzonspor

Its not just our unwanted players we seem to send to Turkey

off to destroy another team in claret and blue then!?

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

During the West Ham game the co-commentator (not sure who, but I recognise his voice) was asked about whether Unai Emery was working out and he gave a very reluctant response, something along the lines of "well if you look at the points I suppose", then went on about how he rated Gerrard but that Villa had gone for "instant results".

Genuinely can't believe how many in the media buy into this myth that Gerrard was some sort of great builder and that we should've just given him more time.

I heard that and couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was Tony Gale who said it, ex West Ham player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

During the West Ham game the co-commentator (not sure who, but I recognise his voice) was asked about whether Unai Emery was working out and he gave a very reluctant response, something along the lines of "well if you look at the points I suppose", then went on about how he rated Gerrard but that Villa had gone for "instant results".

Genuinely can't believe how many in the media buy into this myth that Gerrard was some sort of great builder and that we should've just given him more time.

Yeah, I was laughing when I heard that. 

Â