Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Although I’m 50\50 on him I haven’t seen much to suggest he isn’t a gilet-less Tim Sherwood. Talks absolute bollocks as well. Not buying this great with media malarkey - he says we lost because we went into a protective shell and then blamed the players. YOU ARE THE MANAGER, YOU ARE MEANT TO DIRECT AND MOTIVATE AND YOU BROUGHT ON DEFENSIVE PLAYERS. Can’t seem to take any responsibility. Pillock. 

I’ve been very very patient with him but he seriously pissed me off today. 

"We went into protection mode too soon"

Man literally brought on a DM. How in the world is he acknowledging that we went into protection mode too soon when its 100% on him?!

I've had enough of the defence and the people claiming ppG and league titles since he took over.

He hasn't took us forward in the slightest. Over a 5 game period for Smith he's improved us but generally side by side for the reigns - he just hasn't. 

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 4

Just now, rodders0223 said:

"We went into protection mode too soon"

Man literally brought on a DM. How in the world is he acknowledging that we went into protection mode too soon when its 100% on him?!

Just said in another thread as well when has that ever worked when we are leading against top sides???? We go defensive and throw it away every single time. City were shit until we let them win. We probably could have won that 2 or 3 nil. This is absolutely all on him. He **** it and for a Liverpool legend he has been a PL disaster for them. 

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Just said in another thread as well when has that ever worked when we are leading against top sides???? We go defensive and throw it away every single time. City were shit until we let them win. We probably could have won that 2 or 3 nil. This is absolutely all on him. He **** it and for a Liverpool legend he has been a PL disaster for them. 

Yes, it's totally on Gerrard, even though most of these same players chucked away a 2 goal lead in similar circumstances earlier in the season under a previous manager, except in a game we dominated and a team that cost a fraction of City's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

He lost that game for us. I’m very 50/50 on him. 

I'm hoping that he learned an important lesson today...when you're leading and your tactics are working, don't change things. There were some good points (not by me) in the post-match thread that adding a DM changed our shape, and taking Coutinho out hurt our ability to hold up the ball and give the defenders a breather. Putting on an additional defender often backfires.

2 minutes ago, TomC said:

I'm hoping that he learned an important lesson today...when you're leading and your tactics are working, don't change things. There were some good points (not by me) in the post-match thread that adding a DM changed our shape, and taking Coutinho out hurt our ability to hold up the ball and give the defenders a breather. Putting on an additional defender often backfires.

Yes I agree… BUT… we’ve seen before when we’re under pressure and don’t make a change and then end up conceding.   And then we blame the manager for not making a sub early enough.   
Bascially whichever way round, if the opposition score then the manager made the wrong decision, and if we see out the game then the manager made the right decision.

11 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Eddie Howe > Gerrard 

Hope he learns and learns quickly, PL is so tough for managers

Nonsense. 

And anyway, who cares. We’ve signed Coutinho - a £140m player 3 years ago, Digne - who is arguably one of our best players and one of the hottest youngsters in Europe. This wouldn’t have been possible without Gerrard. 

Give him the Summer and give him the chance to put together his team. The calibre of player we’ve signed and been linked to since his arrival is astonishing and quite frankly unfathomable considering our league position and what we’ve been doing the last 10 years. 

Yes we have money, but we also have one of the greatest players ever to play the game managing us. He may not get it right, but I’m here for the journey and right now, I haven’t been this excited for a long time. We’re being linked and signing players that are way above our pedigree. 

In the table based on games since he arrived we ended up finishing nineth, with positive goal difference, not great but not bad either, and at least we've shown top half form with him as manager, a shame we couldn't have beat either Burnley or Palace otherwise we would have been eighth in that table, still he did better than the likes of Lage, Potter, Frank, Viera, and Moyes since he came in and that was without a pre-season.

Just now, useless said:

In the table based on games since he arrived we ended up finishing nineth, with positive goal difference, not great but not bad either, and at least we've shown top half form with him as manager, a shame we couldn't have beat either Burnley or Palace otherwise we would have been eighth in that table, still he did better than the likes of Lage, Potter, Frank, Viera, and Moyes since he came in and that was without a pre-season.

So 9th since he’s been here and out performed managerial genius’s Harry Potter, Moyes and Viera is not bad at all imo. Especially given the atrocious start to the season. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

He's going to be the manager at the start of the season. Deal with it people. 

Put your hate into something else. 

Yeah this is my view. I’m not convinced at all, but he did a par job this season, and I’m interested to see what we look like next season with a couple of transfers in.

He’s not Sherwood in a suit. Sherwood had favourites, whereas Gerrard has generally given everyone a chance, and I think Gerrard has more of a philosophy / system (even if I’m not sure if it will work).

Losing 3-2 at City is nothing to be ashamed of these days.

Uninspiring season, but Gerrard is still learning, has still not had a pre season with the players, and probably has been starting players he’d like to replace asap.

And credit on the Coutinho, Digne, and Chambers signings - think they’ve all been good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’m pro Gerrard and already looking forward to next season but he properly messed up with that Nakamba sub. My heart sunk as soon as I saw him coming on. I could get him taking Coutinho off if he was struggling but the change of shape just invited more pressure just at a time we couldn’t cope with it. 

We need the signings in through the door asap to lift morale. I think he will make us into a top 8 side. I don’t know how he sorts out our ability to shoot ourselves in the foot though. 

Sell Watkin's so we can actually get some goals to finish a game off (not including today)

6 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Love Deano.  

Players and talent win.  Managers job is to be able to recruit as well.  We would not be signing Coutinho, Kamara, Digne level players with Smith here… if Jack stayed maybe it would be a different story, but the writing was on the wall when Jack left and Dean was unable to get the Ward Prowse and ESR deals over the line.

Say what you want about Stevie but he’s got us shopping in a different talent bracket now.  Whether he’s able to get results is one thing, but now we will have players that a top manager will want to manage.  Gerrard is moving us up in profile.

Blimey a balanced and sensible post on VT who would’ve thought it. 

Edited by WHY
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Love Deano.  

Players and talent win.  Managers job is to be able to recruit as well.  We would not be signing Coutinho, Kamara, Digne level players with Smith here… if Jack stayed maybe it would be a different story, but the writing was on the wall when Jack left and Dean was unable to get the Ward Prowse and ESR deals over the line.

Say what you want about Stevie but he’s got us shopping in a different talent bracket now.  Whether he’s able to get results is one thing, but now we will have players that a top manager will want to manage.  Gerrard is moving us up in profile.

Agreed. He is selling the NSWE vision better imo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

He's going to be the manager at the start of the season. Deal with it people. 

Put your hate into something else. 

He will.

It'll sting if Southampton or whoever appoint Marco Rose and they instantly leap over us like Newcastle have though.

UTV

• Like 2

Â