Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

50% of voters (excluding those who said that they wouldn't sack gerrard if we lost 11 games to end the season) said he should be sacked if he didn't get to 46 points. Nine points from the last 11 games of the season is very poor.

3 minutes ago, YLN said:

50% of voters (excluding those who said that they wouldn't sack gerrard if we lost 11 games to end the season) said he should be sacked if he didn't get to 46 points. Nine points from the last 11 games of the season is very poor.

Hopefully it’s looking positive because he looks like he can bring in quality so if his coaching continues as it is and he’s sacked at least we’ll have a bag full of quality players for the next manager.  If he turns it around and he can coach then we are on a winner!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Coutinho probably but that's a very specific transfer with a connection to Gerrard.

I'm sure Kamara is not turning down other offers on the basis of Gerrard. That's ridiculous.

Whatever the reason managers are remembered for their signings. So far Gerrards has been spot on (well until we see Kamara play). How about give him just a little credit instead of hating ?

12 hours ago, mrchnry said:

Smith hit his ceiling and we all know it. That's why he's in the championship now. Gerrard is a gamble but he's our gamble so we should get behind him until he's at least had a proper transfer window and a pre season. 

He's in the Championship now because he took over the worst squad in the league mid season (some memorable performances even with that lot). If he'd taken the Everton job for instance, he'd have done better than Lampard! 

Anyway :offtopic:

Gerrard has been meh so far, no great memories or results that overcame the odds or will live long in the memory, hopefully he'll bring that next season. Otherwise, he's completely replaceable. 

Edited by Dale
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Agree but these things are additive - for example part of getting Kamara might have been him seeing Coutinho sign a permanent deal. Or seeing Digne as the France left back come here - and we know from Gerrard that Digne’s first question was “are you signing Coutinho?”

Its a lot of factors but at this point he definitely has some pull with names. That said, splashing some money is clearly key as well!

The recruitment team has done really well to get some bargains in the transfer market since Gerrard arrived. Coutinho for 17m, Kamara free, Chambers free and proven quality with Digne at 20m. If we recruit 3-4 more on the same level in the summer then Gerrard will have no excuses for not getting a solid top half finish next season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Coutinho probably but that's a very specific transfer with a connection to Gerrard.

I'm sure Kamara is not turning down other offers on the basis of Gerrard. That's ridiculous.

This says different, Literally joined because of Gerrard, my point stands. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Damn. Makes a change from the usual "Yeah I couldn't give a flying **** who the gaffer is, they're usually sacked in 18 months,  I'm here for the PL and the dosh" interview lol

Haha! Aye.
Still doesn’t change the fact this lad wouldn’t have come if we still had deano in charge.

Someone was saying in a different thread that Gerrard only signs old players, so here's analysis of Gerrards signing's vs the previous window before Gerrard arrived:

Gerrard (outfield players only for fair comparison):

Coutinho - 29

Chambers - 26

Digne - 28

Kamara - 22

Average age - 26 years old  

and the window before Gerrard arrived:

Ings - 29

Buendia - 24

Bailey - 24

Young - 36

Average age - 28 years old. 

So Gerrard is actually opting for younger players! 🙂 

*yes, i know the comparison is flawed in many ways, not serious analysis.

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Someone was saying in a different thread that Gerrard only signs old players, so here's analysis of Gerrards signing's vs the previous window before Gerrard arrived:

Coutinho - 29

Chambers - 26

Digne - 28

Kamara - 22

Ings - 29

Buendia - 24

Bailey - 24

Young - 36

Also Gerrard signed Olsen while in the summer we also signed Axel 😉

6 hours ago, AV82 said:

..and if he does attract those players (he already has to be fair) then regardless of how we start the new season we'll be in a better position than we are now so I suppose it's a win-win situation for us.

It really is. This is one of the major reasons I will have patience with him. That and him actually getting a pre-season to properly work his ideas into the squad with some PL experience in the bag. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Coutinho - 29

Chambers - 26

Digne - 28

Kamara - 22

Ings - 29

Buendia - 24

Bailey - 24

Young - 36

Aye just goes to show.

Gerrard is threatened by senior players.

:trollface:

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Haha! Aye.
Still doesn’t change the fact this lad wouldn’t have come if we still had deano in charge.

Yeah he probably had a look at Gerrard's record of getting 9 points from the last 11 games of the season and thought, yeah he's the manager that will bring my career to the next level.

Or maybe Gerrard told him he'd get him a ten million pound signing on fee,  and that 'changed everything'. 

This narrative of Gerrard being a draw for players is likely nonsense, outside of the Coutinho signing obviously. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YLN said:

Yeah he probably had a look at Gerrard's record of getting 9 points from the last 11 games of the season and thought, yeah he's the manager that will bring my career to the next level.

Or maybe Gerrard told him he'd get him a ten million pound signing on fee,  and that 'changed everything'. 

This narrative of Gerrard being a draw for players is likely nonsense, outside of the Coutinho signing obviously. 

This is not true. Good players know of Gerrard, being a top player himself and many will look up to him, especially the up and coming youngsters around Europe. 

He may not seem like a great all round manager, but what young midfielder would not want to be mentored by him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YLN said:

Did you not watch the video? 

29 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

This is not true. Good players know of Gerrard, being a top player himself and many will look up to him, especially the up and coming youngsters around Europe. 

He may not seem like a great all round manager, but what young midfielder would not want to be mentored by him.

If thats the case then we be fighting off Palace and Everton for players since they have big name ex midfielders as manager 

Palace should be attracting all the best young French players if was the case. 

Its obvious money talks here

• Like 3

Â