Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Our squad is poor. Gerrard might not be the man to take us forward in the long-term, but any manager would struggle with this bunch of bottlers.

The signing of Kamara, if it happens, is very encouraging. But, we need 3 or 4 more players of real quality to compete.

Gerrard will attract quality players, and needs to be feeling the pressure to get them to play after pre-season.

• Like 2

PROS: He put out the team which put on a great performance to be up 2 - 0.

CONS: Undid his own good work with a naive sub IMO.

In summary, it's disappointing, but I'm confident both him as a Manager, and the team will progress and learn from this.

We have seen what we are capable of.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That game today just sums up Villa full stop really, never mind this season. Can't really hold him accountable and I just hope he can be the one to change the whole culture at this club because it's more than tedious at this stage anticipating collapses like that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

We were exceptionally mentally weak before Gerrard came in, and I expect we'll stay that way long after he's gone. Can't pin this all on the manager.

Bring on the summer clearout tbh

• Like 1

Not Gerrards fault it’s etched in our core to bottle leads. We should be used to this by now. Let’s not forget we were playing one of the best teams in the world today and we had them on strings until the 70th or whenever it was. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, supermon said:

Had the same happened and Coutinho stayed on and we lost 3-2 everyone would say why not get on Nakamba. I predict at least 90% of managers would have done the same. 

Well im talking about what actually happened, not what didn’t happen.  Based on what had happened up to then, couthino should have been kept on and our tactics remained the same.  1-0 I could have agreed with u

The Nakamba sub cost us, but I understood why he thought to do it. It’s not really a good idea to sit back against City… Watkins not finishing his dinner didn’t help(I feel like I’m repeating myself with our strikers)

Some of the comments though are a bit OTT, I’m sure a lot of you were silent when we were 2-0 up. 

Anyway we finally got our DM early so here’s hoping to a great summer.

• Like 1

He set us up well in a short space of time since the last match.

Players were absolutely shot to bits.

Based on stats he has actually done well this season.

I am expecting top 10 minimum next season but he can get us in the top 7.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Completely agree

Jury is still very much out on this!

Fair play Nick, i'm kind of happy it's over?

Disappointed in the finishing place obviously though.

We were so close to possibly moving up a couple places at least.

• Like 1

The exact substitution we've derided for years. From Southgate to Bruce to Mcleish to Lambert and it sums up his management. Negative. Defensive. 

Gerrard displays all the characteristics of these managers his philosophy his shape his principles...but because its Gerrard and he was world class its just ignored.

Thank goodness the season is over. His recruitment will hopefully go as planned, just hope he can change the mentality around the club.

Not just today, but for a long time we’ve shown ourselves to have a soft underbelly and a lack of belief to beat the big boys. Needs to change next season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The season is over and one of Europes most promising youngsters has joined us BECAUSE of Gerrard. 

What use is a player like Kamara (*cough* Buendia) if we are unable to fit them in and play well as a team?

Just now, hippo said:

He's a shit coach who only got the job because Purslow is a massive Liverpool fan and Stevie G is his mate. Unfortunately in the short term we are stuck with him.

Roll on November.

I’m afraid if the first signing is anything to go by we will be quite strong next season. Big demand for season tickets, how about considering letting someone who wants to get behind the manager have it?

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

lack of belief to beat the big boys.

Except for all the times we have in the past two seasons. Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, the only one we haven't is City. And we've not done one since October. 

• Like 1

I'm not even going to engage in some of the extreme negativity today.

I agree that SG made a naive move, but I equally see lots of signs for optimism as well as a brilliant performance for large parts of a game, against the Premier League Champions who routinely brush teams aside for fun.

The thought that next season, it would be Kamara coming on, or already on the pitch, instead of Nakamba... is... well... a nice thought.

I'm excited for the summer!

• Like 4

Â