Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, Condimentalist said:

This is nonsense. A good pre season, a couple of key signings, there's no reason we can't push for Europe next season. 

No excuses.

We say that every summer spunk money and it doesn't happen. Each season it gets harder and further away 

• Like 1

I too am feeling pretty depressed after that dog awful "display". 

I personally feel it was a very inexperienced act from Gerrard when he tried to, as he (i think) said, "use the winter break as a mini pre-season to try to change the style to more like the one he wanted".  Sorry but i was of the thinking it was very dangerous to try to change fundamentals mid season? It clearly has not worked we are worse i feel. The strikers are totally anonymous & we have lost more than we have gained from what i've seen so far. 

I hope & pray it will get better fast as this (last 6) is currently relegation form. Can't get to 40 points soon enough as we have tough games to end the season after the supposed "easy run".

Edited by danceoftheshamen

39 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I too am feeling pretty depressed after that dog awful "display". 

I personally feel it was a very inexperienced act from Gerrard when he tried to, as he (i think) said, "use the winter break as a mini pre-season to try to change the style to more like the one he wanted".  Sorry but i was of the thinking it was very dangerous to try to change fundamentals mid season? It clearly has not worked we are worse i feel. The strikers are totally anonymous & we have lost more than we have gained from what i've seen so far. 

I hope & pray it will get better fast as this (last 6) is currently relegation form. Can't get to 40 points soon enough as we have tough games to end the season after the supposed "easy run".

I thought we scored 3 goals in the first half the game before

6 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

We say that every summer spunk money and it doesn't happen. Each season it gets harder and further away 

Mate, we were just in the Championship and have finished higher in consecutive seasons (and hopefully will again having sold our best player).

What you are saying is provably false.

Anyway, don't worry about facts, just wallow in a vague mood.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

We’re a mid table team. We play really well some weeks, ok others and pretty s*** on the rest. I really don’t know where this sense of entitlement has come from within ever growing sections of our support (a lot of them old enough to know better too!), but it has to stop.

Fully agree, the idea that throwing ever increasing amounts of money at it will solve the problem is also rubbish It takes time and patience to build a strong effective squad . What is the point of scraping into Europe only to be knocked out by a team that no ones ever heard of in a qualifying round ? Much better to qualify at a later date with a realistic chance of achieving something.

Edited by smg
Crap spelling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

Mate, we were just in the Championship and have finished higher in consecutive seasons (and hopefully will again having sold our best player).

What you are saying is provably false.

Anyway, don't worry about facts, just wallow in a vague mood.

Again but do you see any possibility of realistically catching up? Honestly? 

I've accepted that we are a midtable team and that's probably our limit. The years in the championship have set us back and the gap is huge to bridge now. There are 7/8 teams light years ahead.

And no that's not a shot at the owners or management team now, they have been excellent overall . I just don't see why so many villa fans seem to think we will or have a right to be in the top area of the league.

If I could be proved wrong though I would love it.

1 hour ago, Pissflaps said:

Again but do you see any possibility of realistically catching up? Honestly? 

I've accepted that we are a midtable team and that's probably our limit. The years in the championship have set us back and the gap is huge to bridge now. There are 7/8 teams light years ahead.

And no that's not a shot at the owners or management team now, they have been excellent overall . I just don't see why so many villa fans seem to think we will or have a right to be in the top area of the league.

If I could be proved wrong though I would love it.

Wolves are in the European places. West Ham are in the top 4. They are very comparable sides, in fact you could argue we have more spending power and a stronger academy. 

No defeatism please. European football is definitely attainable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I thought we scored 3 goals in the first half the game before

Yes we did KV however I was at the game and for the large part we were not great. The attacking play (specifically Coutinho & Ramsey) for 30 mins was great but the defending, (in the main by Mings) was relegation level defending. We did ok to get the win at Everton (albeit backs against the wall) and the comeback against Man Utd was very uplifting (The 1st half again pretty shocking as a whole however). It's the fact we go missing for half games (or in the Newcastle debacle the whole game it appears) that appears to be a recurring theme. We also seem to have forgotten how to involve the striker. 

I have no doubt SG will sort it over time but i feel more new players are clearly needed as some we have don't appear to fit his style. I just hope the wheels don't come fully off in the run in else we could easily fall into trouble especially with us playing the likes of Watford Norwich, Burnley x 2 over the coming weeks. All teams who could be on our shirt tails should we lose a few of those.....Newcastle was one of those and we lost it without turning up for example!!! 

27 points is stil 4 to 5 wins off where we need to be to be able to relax about it and the final few games are tough. We have left games against Watford, now a must win in my view as we then have

Southampton (h) (Bang in form)

West Ham (a) (Pushing for top 4 and appear to be a bogey team currently)

Arsenal (h) (Pushing for Europe)

Wolves (a) (playing well and also in European slots)

Spurs (h) (Pushing for Champs League)

Liverpool (h) (Obviously really tough)

Norwich (h) MUST WIN

Burnley (a) (Could easily be a 6 pointer and we normally lost up there)

Then we have a home game against Burnley to rearrange somewhere followed by

Palace (h) & Man City (a) on the last day!!! 

The games we need wins from are clear.... the teams below us in the main. Any wins from the rest take pressure off but we simply cannot afford to lose against those teams below us as they will be on us fast. Newcastle & Leeds were two of those games...we got 1 point!