Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

10 minutes ago, useless said:

If we're to become what we wish to become and what our owners and manager state they wish us to become, which is seemingly a team that can challenge for top eight or six, then we're going to have to start digging out the odd result here and there from these kind of games, Chelsea and Man Utd, whilst still better than us, haven't been exactly in amazing form, so getting some kind of result from them shouldn't have been out of the question.

To be fair to us, we have dug quite a few good results out of the Super 6 over the last couple of years. I've been really impressed with our resolve against these teams, especially when you consider how wet we used to be.

All our teams are having  bad time of it at the moment, senior mens have lost five of the last six, U23s have  won just one of the last six, U18s have won one of the last ten, and the women's team have won one of the last eight in the league.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I don't think we're in danger of being relegated, but posting this in here as the 'race for Europe' thread hardly seems appropriate. Five defeats from the last six unless we turn today's game around, and our one win amongst those was against Norwich. All the euphoria surrounding the new signings has took attention away from it, but we're on a really bad run of form at the moment.

Going to be a lot of pressre on the Everton game, need to arrest this bad run we're on asap, if we want to start climbing up the league.

That draw is more valuable than just the point it gives us, ends the run of losses we were on, and the manner in which we did, coming back from two goals down with less than fifteen minutes, to go makes it feel almost like a win. Now we've got some easier games on paper, hopefully can start moving up the league

I was mad as hell in the match thread and very over dramatic. I shouldn’t have lost the faith in the team. We made it difficult for ourselves, sure, there are certain things that we do that I wish we would stop doing immediately. But I have confidence and belief that we can really try and push on now. I hope we do. 

Edited by Tayls

Yeah I don’t foresee this being an issue for us now. I didn’t really feel like we would be in a relegation battle even after the five defeats in a row. And the general upturn in results under Gerrard has cemented that thought.

The bottom four seem so cut off. While it would be entertaining from a neutral point of view to see how Everton fare if they were sucked into a battle, I look at the table it seems slightly fanciful. Even Leeds, I can’t see them really dropping into the bottom three.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mantis said:

No it isn't, just like it won't be time to bring up the European chase thread if we blow Watford out of the water next weekend.

1 point from Leeds, Brentford and Newcastle is relegation fodder tally

We won't ever become what the owners want. There are going to be 8 or so teams that are so far ahead of us by the end of the summer it's just impossible. As sad and pessimistic as it is, mid table is the best we can achieve.

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

27 points from 23 games, 10 points clear of the relegation zone, is mid-table fodder tally. Getting 1 point from those three teams does not suddenly put us in any realistic danger of relegation at the present stage, no matter how much you might want it to.

Edited by Mantis

Just now, Pissflaps said:

We won't ever become what the owners want. There are going to be 8 or so teams that are so far ahead of us by the end of the summer it's just impossible. As sad and pessimistic as it is, mid table is the best we can achieve.

We have a better team then Wolves, Brighton, Southampton. Could argue a better side than West Ham. We should be up there right now, but for some reason we are not

Just now, messi11 said:

We have a better team then Wolves, Brighton, Southampton. Could argue a better side than West Ham. We should be up there right now, but for some reason we are not

We really don't have a better team than West ham.  The others I agree we should be competing with, but ultimately we are not.

Haha, what about Everton? Are you just listing the non wins weve had?

We wont go down. We'd basically have to have completely different form to the season to date. I.e next to no more wins.

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Haha, what about Everton? Are you just listing the non wins weve had?

We wont go down. We'd basically have to have completely different form to the season to date. I.e next to no more wins.

1 win in the last 7 for Villa. Lose to Watford and Brighton and it might be time to get Big Sam on the blower 

1 win in the last 7 for Villa. Lose to Watford and Brighton and it might be time to get Big Sam on the blower 

Why bother? We may as well just save the time and concede the season now. We must accept our fate - we are going down.