Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Bookies have us at 67/1. There's definitely an outside chance but "high chance" is stretching it just a little bit.

Like to see the odds if we lose to Brighton and Southampton 

10 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Like to see the odds if we lose to Brighton and Southampton 

Gerrard will be going up the sack race odds if that happens as we have Leeds and West Ham away within 70 hours and we'll struggle to get more than a draw out of those two.

We just need to get back to basics and try to build from a clean sheet and possible draw a game or two.

Shows how bad the season has got now but I'd be more than fine with a boring 0-0 at Brighton and then draw with Southampton as it stops the rot. Then try to win a couple of games in April and we'll be sorted but really shouldn't be coming down to that.

44 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

High chance we go down imo 

Hilarious. No chance we go down. Delighted to put my neck on the line and bet you whatever you like. Ridiculous over reaction to an admittedly poor but somewhat unlucky spell. I believe Man City are looking for fans. Chance your arm there maybe?

• Like 1

I think if this thread is still properly active going into the first week or two of April then I would also expect to see a new manager thread, several pages in. 

I don’t think it will come to it. We’ll end up 14th or 15th in that purgatory area where it isn’t quite shit enough to obviously warrant a change, but also not quite good enough to feel to completely positive going forward. 

We're 12th and 9 points above the relegation zone. Also 150/1 to go down. That's similar sort of odds to what Everton are to win the premier league at the start of each season.

We obviously can still go down, but so can most of the premier league. 

• Like 1

I think one of the main issues is all of these hyped up signings made, the majority are actually shit. 

If they can't adjust from one playing system to another than they must be. We overhype players and they let us down time after time. Quite simply one more bad result and it is a relegation battle one way or the other. With a manager who has never had to deal with that in his playing career or as a manager until now. Not ideal.

4 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Hilarious. No chance we go down. Delighted to put my neck on the line and bet you whatever you like. Ridiculous over reaction to an admittedly poor but somewhat unlucky spell. I believe Man City are looking for fans. Chance your arm there maybe?

Out of interest, which part of the spell do you feel has been unlucky?

Genuine question.

11 hours ago, Jbvilla909 said:

One point against Leeds, Watford and Newcastle. Diabolical. 

Doubled by Watford! Brentford took 4 points. 2 goal leads thrown away at home twice. 5 game losing streak. What a season. We are grandmasters of being truly awful. All the money we have invested for this.
Need a response FC

5 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Out of interest, which part of the spell do you feel has been unlucky?

Genuine question.

I thought we were really unlucky in both Utd games. We were also unlucky against Leeds where all of their goals had an element of luck. Brentford scored a worldie that they will never score again and then punished a late mistake when we should have been well ahead. Ings goal against Utd that was ruled out. Ollies goal against Newcastle that was ruled out. We have had a few penalty shouts in those games too which have all been ignored including the one yesterday.

Look, I don’t think we are playing well by any stretch but it seems at the moment that every mistake gets punished and we are losing close games as a result. If we get and score that early penalty yesterday, we likely go on to win the game comfortably. We didn’t and Gerrard lost his head a bit with the changes and we lost the game. Had he not changed things we likely would have ended up with a draw but everyone would have gone mad as he hadn’t changed things!

I really believe that Gerrard will turn it around and if he doesn’t then he will get sacked but people need to give him a chance. He has inherited a woefully unbalanced squad that needs to be rebalanced. Grealish carried us for the last two seasons and we lost him In the summer. The players we signed in the summer have not yet worked out. I have seen people writing off the players that we have just signed which is mind blowing.

We are nowhere near a relegation scrap and we won’t be come the end of the season. We need some luck to go our way and we need some out of form players to regain their mojo. Once we do we will be fine. We can then focus on rebalancing our squad and then we will see what Gerrard can do. Until then we need to get behind the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Doubled by Watford! Brentford took 4 points. 2 goal leads thrown away at home twice. 5 game losing streak. What a season. We are grandmasters of being truly awful. All the money we have invested for this.
Need a response FC

I mean not beating Watford and Brentford this season is unacceptable. You want an absolute minimum of two wins from those games and probably even three.

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Need a response FC

Mega money thrown at it. Look at Wolves, comfortably top half.

Not sure what Lange is doing tbh, awful business on the whole. If anyone needs to go in the summer it's him...or before. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

Mega money thrown at it. Look at Wolves, comfortably top half.

Not sure what Lange is doing tbh, awful business on the whole. If anyone needs to go in the summer it's him...or before. 

Not true at all - he's doing his job pretty well by providing a lot of quality players. The issue is with the coaching and management, and that particular buck stops with Purslow.