Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

That would be a disgrace if I am honest. I think we will finish slightly higher myself

I think given that we had to swap managers after 11 games or whatever it was, it will mean that we are likely to finish below where we did last season. Things were a bit off anyway which was clear from the performances and the dodgy summer window that we had which left us ridiculously unbalanced. 

I know people seem to get upset by this, but I still think we will be dragged into the relegation dog fight come the final few weeks of the season. Especially if we lose this weekend.

6 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I think given that we had to swap managers after 11 games or whatever it was, it will mean that we are likely to finish below where we did last season. Things were a bit off anyway which was clear from the performances and the dodgy summer window that we had which left us ridiculously unbalanced. 

I know people seem to get upset by this, but I still think we will be dragged into the relegation dog fight come the final few weeks of the season. Especially if we lose this weekend.

I personally think we’ll be be mathematically safe from relegation with quite a few games to spare. I’d say about 5 games at the least. 

24 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Eighth is mathematically still a possibility, that will be our aim.

However due to our current form it is way off.

Top ten would be a small improvement on last season but we should be aiming higher.

I think considering the disruptive season we’ve had it’s just a case of seeing improvements and to see them adapt to how Gerrard wants the team to play, then see where he has to strengthen in the summer. I don’t care where we end the season.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

On 14/02/2022 at 00:54, HanoiVillan said:

This is almost certainly correct. It's why I have no interest in discussing 'projects' or stuff of that nature on here. The league has ossified, and the only team who can change that are Newcastle, both because of the money and also because the media have already anointed them the newest member of the top group, so they will get a lot of intangible benefit from that.

We are part of the rest of the pack, where in most seasons the best we can hope for is to finish 8th, and the worst is to get relegated. Increasingly I find myself thinking that if we're not in any big relegation trouble - and I think we aren't, though it would be good to beat Watford to be on the safe side - then all I really want is entertainment, don't much care about the result beyond the level of achieving safety. From an entertainment perspective, the Leeds game was actually better than the Everton game, but today was shit both from a result and an entertainment point of view, so can't help feeling very downbeat tonight.

Edens would fire you on the spot.

On 14/02/2022 at 09:36, Pissflaps said:

Again but do you see any possibility of realistically catching up? Honestly? 

I've accepted that we are a midtable team and that's probably our limit. The years in the championship have set us back and the gap is huge to bridge now. There are 7/8 teams light years ahead.

And no that's not a shot at the owners or management team now, they have been excellent overall . I just don't see why so many villa fans seem to think we will or have a right to be in the top area of the league.

If I could be proved wrong though I would love it.

Leicester were in similar position to us three years ago. West ham were fighting relegation with us in 19/20, both have done it in recent times.

They'll always be a big club or two going through some sort of potential drama/sacking manager. Just have to have a good start to the season and be in position to mix it.

On 14/02/2022 at 14:57, The Fun Factory said:

We will end up on about 45 points which will get us about 13-14th. A bit meh but not a relegation battle.

I still think we can get to low 50s but no chance if we have more Newcastle/Brentford type displays which are slowly creeping in under this manager now.

My metric remains the same...bottom half and it's a disappointing season. 9th or 10th and it's our best finish in a decade and something to build on in a tricky season where we lost key player two weeks before season started, new signings couldn't get much momentum and then changed the manager.

6 hours ago, Tayls said:

Not finishing higher than last season, I could just about accept, but you're replying to a post that's angry about the idea of us finishing 15th-17th, and I think it's fair.

We were 12th at the start of Jan, remain 12th now, and brought in Coutinho and Digne. If we regress in the second half of the season after reinforcing like that, then unless there's some catastrophic injuries  Gerrard was the wrong man, simple as that. You can't bring in players like that, lose nobody, do worse and expect to keep your job.

FWIW, I don't think that'll happen, I think we'll be somewhere from 9th-12th, but if we were down in a relegation fight come week 38, he should be sacked.

Edited by Davkaus

5 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Edens would fire you on the spot.

No doubt he would.

But I'll tell you what, I'll still be supporting Aston Villa after he's left, whatever division we're in, wherever we are in it. I don't need any 'project' for that.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

The season has never really got going and the mid season break was exactly at the wrong time for us.

It felt that way around xmas. Think we were 9th after winning at Norwich and then we lost Burnley and Leeds fixtures which were both really winnable at the time and had to play Chelsea at home so we lost ground on some of the teams above us.

No doubt we'll play those fixtures back end of the season with both fighting for their lives and struggle to win either now.

There was also buzz after beating Everton but instead we have nearly three week break which hasn't done us any favours at all.

So yes a season that's never really got going at all. Problem is next season has world cup right in the middle so would be annoying if we start the season well and then it stops for six weeks start of November.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Eighth is mathematically still a possibility, that will be our aim.

However due to our current form it is way off.

Top ten would be a small improvement on last season but we should be aiming higher.

Mathematically, we can still win the league! (I just counted)

• Haha 2