Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, useless said:

If we win tomorrow we will be nine points clear of the bottom three, we would also climb into the top half of the table with a win if Palace and Brentford fail to win their games.

Leicester are a good team though.

Just feels inevitable to me they'll start to hit form very soon.

Even if Leicester were playing as well as they were last season it's still a game we should be looking to win and feeling that we can win. Because even at their best Leicester aren't some unbeatble team.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Even if Leicester were playing as well as they were last season it's still a game we should be looking to win and feeling that we can win. Because even at their best Leicester aren't some unbeatble team.

Nope but they are no push overs either, agree we have a decent chance of getting a result especially if we play like we did second half vs City

Good round of fixtures for us as far as teams below us/level not catching up to us goes.

Norwich, Burnley, Watford, and Palace all lost

Southampton could only draw at home to Brighton and Leeds and Brentford drew with each other.

Edited by Mantis

On 04/12/2021 at 18:11, useless said:

If we win tomorrow we will be nine points clear of the bottom three, we would also climb into the top half of the table with a win if Palace and Brentford fail to win their games.

This this came true, pretty much the perfect weekend for us in terms of results. Hopefully we can start looking up the table now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Not sure why this thread is still open, we're 100% not going to be relegated

Not that I think I get any say, but since I did start it I would say that I think it would be appropriate to lock it if we can get at least 4 points out of Norwich and Burnley. That should probably see us alright, and it could always be reopened if unfortunately necessary later. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not that I think I get any say, but since I did start it I would say that I think it would be appropriate to lock it if we can get at least 4 points out of Norwich and Burnley. That should probably see us alright, and it could always be reopened if unfortunately necessary later. 

We basically need 5 wins to stay up now...or perhaps 4 wins and 4 draws so would be have to be some second half of season slump to be in serious relegation danger.

Interesting little thing though....I remember a mid season when we beat Leicester 2-1 under Lambert and yet we were in serious relegation trouble a few months later. How spooky is this:

Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester City - BBC Sport

Aston Villa secured back-to-back Premier League wins as Alan Hutton's first goal for the club added to bottom side Leicester City's troubles.

Two days off 7 years ago now, a Sunday 4 ish game, same scoreline and on exactly same points from games played as now! Leicester of course won the league 18 months later while we went down as one of worst top flight teams in living memory, what a time to be alive.

We lost 9 of our next 12 games taking grand total of 3 points from 36....and still didn't get relegated so realistically it's just not going to happen with the general mood around the squad.

Getting past 50 points for second season running suddenly feels realistic again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We basically need 5 wins to stay up now...or perhaps 4 wins and 4 draws so would be have to be some second half of season slump to be in serious relegation danger.

Interesting little thing though....I remember a mid season when we beat Leicester 2-1 under Lambert and yet we were in serious relegation trouble a few months later. How spooky is this:

Two days off 7 years ago now, a Sunday 4 ish game, same scoreline and on exactly same points from games played as now! Leicester of course won the league 18 months later while we went down as one of worst top flight teams in living memory, what a time to be alive.

We lost 9 of our next 12 games taking grand total of 3 points from 36....and still didn't get relegated so realistically it's just not going to happen with the general mood around the squad.

Getting past 50 points for second season running suddenly feels realistic again.

That team was absolutely **** shit.

• Haha 1

We have more than enough to stay up. Liverpool is a free hit but there are some winnable fixtures thereafter. Time to look upwards rather than downwards. ⬆️

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

That team was absolutely **** shit.

It was but Sherwood did at least rouse it for about 4-5 weeks to play some decent stuff. And beat a Brendan Rodgers team in crucial game but that generally seems to be par for the course most seasons.

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Interesting coincidence but there's a lot of differences too. That season we started off well and ground out 10 points from our opening 4 games and then went on a horrendous 6 game losing run (admittedly against very tough opposition). By that point though Lambert was getting very stale and the club as a whole was on a very dire downward trajectory.

• Like 1