Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

If Burnley win today we will be just three points above the relegation zone with Leicester and Liverpool as our next two games. Lookin at the fixtures there's a lot of games where our relegations rivals have a good chance of losing or taking points of each other. But a win tomorrow would be most welcome.

If we lose tomorrow that will seven defeats from the last nine and with Liverpool away to come next that would likely turn to eight defeats from ten. I think tomorrow's game is more important than it's being given credit for.

• Like 1

I don't. 4 points from Norwich and Burnley and we'd be on 20 points and still not at halfway stage. And should still be above likes of Everton and perhaps even Palace. That's without taking into account a draw tomorrow which is my prediction. Don't really see us getting much but a comfortable defeat at Anfield so already written that off.

As we saw two months ago seasons can flip very quickly but given how we've generally played so far under Gerrard I don't see a run of 5 defeats happening again this season so think we're over the worse.

If we can at least secure mid table spot in next 5-10 games then from Feb onwards we've got a good run of games to push into top half.

It will be a lot easier to get points from Burnley and Norwich if we haven't just lost eight games out of the last ten, if we go into those games having lost to Leicester and Liverpool then the pressure on the Norwich game will be big as we will be going into it with it being a must win game otherwise we will be in trouble not just in terms of the league but more so in terms of the team's confidence.

So getting a result against Leicester, preferably a win is important to take some of the pressure off the Norwich game.

True but Brighton haven't won since mid September so there's actually a team above us in worse form. We beat them and Palace who were in good form after five straight defeats so think we're on upward trajectory now and most teams will lose to Man. City and Liverpool at least once this season so no shame in losing to either.

If we only get one point off Norwich/Burnley then I imagine they'll be a few more posts in this thread and hard work really starts for SG but before then not too concerned of how many points we're above 18th, I would've been much more if DS was still in charge as we looked completely broken as a cohesive unit.

As it stands if we win tomorrow we can go above Brighton, was only a few weeks ago people were talking about the fact that they were above us in the league as some sort of evidence as to what a good manager Potter was and why we should give him the job but also counter suggestions that he wouldn't come to us because of how far ahead of us they were. Of course they could still turn it around today, but shows that six points isn't much of a gap in this league and shouldn't judge teams too early, either because of a good or bad start to the season.

Scary quality in this league. Even if teams don't have great squads they have decent managers like Hassenhutal or Deano. 

I have never known it so strong. Its like  the Championship a few years ago where anyone can beat you unless you are totally on it from minute 1 .

I am hopeful we can pull clear though as we always have a goal in us and i think that Gerrard will not let heads drop. We also have January to make changes if needs be. 

But as a football league my god its competitive

Incredible that a team like Newcastle can go 14 games without a win and are only 3 points from safety should they win today. 

Our aim should be at least 7 points from the next 4 games to leave us with 23 points from 18. Anything more is fantastic and anything less a concern.

My prediction would be: Leicester (h) - D, Liverpool (a) - L, Norwich (a) - W, Burnley (h) - W

If we win tomorrow I'd be optimistic for the month ahead. 

35 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Our aim should be at least 7 points from the next 4 games to leave us with 23 points from 18. Anything more is fantastic and anything less a concern.

My prediction would be: Leicester (h) - D, Liverpool (a) - L, Norwich (a) - W, Burnley (h) - W

If we win tomorrow I'd be optimistic for the month ahead. 

Watch us take 4 points off Leicester and Liverpool then get 0-1 in the other two 😂

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Same as the Norwich game, watched 20 mins of Newcastle vs Burnley, if you think we're on that level then you're mad, they're dogshit, proper dogshit 

to be fair, that southampton performance was that level. absolute turgid display

gonna put my neck on the line and say we wont be that bad again this season

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, useless said:

If we win tomorrow we will be nine points clear of the bottom three, we would also climb into the top half of the table with a win if Palace and Brentford fail to win their games.

Is this not music to people's ears for some reason? Alright then, if we lose and Spurs lose we will be just three points clear of the relegation zone and just three points clear of Norwich, the supposed worst team in the league.

• Haha 1