Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Interesting little thing though....I remember a mid season when we beat Leicester 2-1 under Lambert and yet we were in serious relegation trouble a few months later. How spooky is this:

Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester City - BBC Sport

Two days off 7 years ago now, a Sunday 4 ish game, same scoreline and on exactly same points from games played as now! Leicester of course won the league 18 months later while we went down as one of worst top flight teams in living memory, what a time to be alive.

We lost 9 of our next 12 games taking grand total of 3 points from 36....and still didn't get relegated so realistically it's just not going to happen with the general mood around the squad.

Well remembered! Now you mention it I remember that game too, we were so desperate for that result! And then it was basically all for nothing anyway, as our run after was so dire; wasn't it January or February that season that we failed to score at all, having failed to score during one month in the autumn as well?

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

We basically need 5 wins to stay up now...or perhaps 4 wins and 4 draws so would be have to be some second half of season slump to be in serious relegation danger.

[...]

Getting past 50 points for second season running suddenly feels realistic again.

Agreed on all points. The only reason I would suggest holding off on locking the thread is the remaining games of the first half of the season; while it's good to play the crap teams because we'll probably win some of the games, the problem with them is if we lose them then the bottom of the table comes rushing up at us. There's a huge difference between ending the first half of the season in the 23-25 point range (4 more wins required, 50 point target fully within reach) and ending it on 19 points (a point per game, just on target to avoid the drop). So for me, while Liverpool is of course a completely free hit, the three games after are huge in the context of the season. 5-7 points from those would set us up very nicely for a challenge for a top 10 finish. 3 losses would put us right back in the drink.

I don't expect we'll get 3 losses.

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

That team was absolutely **** shit.

It really was, and it's a miracle it stayed up as long as it did. The difference in quality between eg Richardson and Ashley Young, Guzan and Martinez, Clark and Okore vs Mings and Konsa. We're just prepared to spend what it actually takes to compete these days.

I should bring this back for an encore...

1 hour ago, useless said:

Just glad to get the Man City and Liverpool games out of the way, performance in both shouldn't affect our confidence going forward for the worse, and nice to get a win v Leicester in between. Norwich and Burnley two big games for us, a chance to widen the gap between us and the bottom of the table and to hopefully move up a few places, that's what we should be focusing on now.

Seven defeats in the last ten, two of those in the last three... Norwich performed well against Tottenham despite the scoreline and are giving United a good game today by all accounts. We really could do with beating them, but won't be easy.

Burnley's coming fixtures are West Ham, Watford, Aston Villa, and Everton, so a chance for them to get some points, and potentially close the gap significantly on Leeds. We need to do well in the next two to avoid the same fate. Normally would be hoping for them to get something against West Ham, but for now probably better for us if they lose, don't want them closing the gap to us to six points with a game in hand and with a game against us coming up.

It's commented in after we win games as well, just because people are posting in this thread doesn't mean to say that they think we're going to get relegated.

it's the most suitable thread for general points about the season is going.

In our first season back there was a general 'premier league thread' which was better, and could be used to discuss our season in general, but when a similar topic was started last season it was moved to 'Other Football', so now you only really have this thread or the European Chase thread to make general points about the season, not just our games but how the games of other teams related to us.

54 minutes ago, useless said:

It's commented in after we win games as well, just because people are posting in this thread doesn't mean to say that they think we're going to get relegated.

it's the most suitable thread for general points about the season is going.

In our first season back there was a general 'premier league thread' which was better, and could be used to discuss our season in general, but when a similar topic was started last season it was moved to 'Other Football', so now you only really have this thread or the European Chase thread to make general points about the season, not just our games but how the games of other teams related to us.

I agree, and by the sounds of it that premier league thread shouldn't have been moved to 'other football'. There can be two premier league threads, one about Villas position in it, and one in 'other football' about the league in general.

It isnt always about being relegated or finishing in europe.

That one I linked to wasn't move to 'other football', and had 700 pages, so it was obviously a popular thread, but when the equivalent thread was made last season, that was the one that was moved to other football.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 20:16, villa89 said:

0% chance we'll be relegated this season. We'll be safe by a minimum of 7 points and probably much more. 

Minimum of 7 points would be a poor season, relegation is going to be about 32-35 points

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We're not looking in danger of relegation at the moment, next six games are Man Utd, Everton, Leeds, Newcastle, Watford, Brighton, so should be capable of getting a decent haul of points from those games, and amongst those we might also have the Leeds and Burnley games from Christmas rearranged. So potential for us to go on a good run.

• Like 1

Leeds beating Burnley probably means relegation will just be between Newcastle, Watford and Burnley now (Norwich are done).

Newcastle pretty lucky that Burnley and Watford are just losing all their endless games in hand.

Reminds me of those seasons under Lambert when we could lose 5-6 in a row and wouldn't be that far adrift as no one above would pick up much either.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If we lose the next 3 we are back to 1 point on average.

Very much relegation form.

We need to win games and we don't create chances. It's a concern.

I think 38 points would be enough (not that we will lose our next three). I also know that the clubs that are currently on 10 & 11 points would bite your hands off, if you offered them 38 points from 38 games. 6 wins from our remaining 19 games would give us 40 points...

image.jpeg.5ac8d9d1ef0080fbcbc3e282bdb72ebc.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think we're in danger of being relegated, but posting this in here as the 'race for Europe' thread hardly seems appropriate. Five defeats from the last six unless we turn today's game around, and our one win amongst those was against Norwich. All the euphoria surrounding the new signings has took attention away from it, but we're on a really bad run of form at the moment.

Going to be a lot of pressre on the Everton game, need to arrest this bad run we're on asap, if we want to start climbing up the league.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think we're in danger of being relegated, but posting this in here as the 'race for Europe' thread hardly seems appropriate. Five defeats from the last six unless we turn today's game around, and our one win amongst those was against Norwich. All the euphoria surrounding the new signings has took attention away from it, but we're on a really bad run of form at the moment.

Going to be a lot of pressre on the Everton game, need to arrest this bad run we're on asap, if we want to start climbing up the league.

I'm not disagreeing with you here but some context is needed with 4 of the 6 being Chelsea Liverpool and Man U x2

If we're to become what we wish to become and what our owners and manager state they wish us to become, which is seemingly a team that can challenge for top eight or six, then we're going to have to start digging out the odd result here and there from these kind of games, Chelsea and Man Utd, whilst still better than us, haven't been exactly in amazing form, so getting some kind of result from them shouldn't have been out of the question.