Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

I don't think we're in danger of relegation, but Gerrard himself said after the game today that we can't think we're safe because you can get dragged in the battle very quickly. Hopeully it's a one of but if today's performance becomes a trend we could easily slide down the table and whilst finishing the bottom three seems very unlikely we're not that far ahead of the teams just outside of the relegation zone and us finishing anywhere near the bottom three would be a very disappointing season.

I still think we can challenge for top half though.

2 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

The bed wetting going on all over this board is ridiculous. I’m out for tonight. 

Just taken one point from Leeds and Newcastle. Some of the negativity is justified, especially after that disgrace of a performance this afternoon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

We won't ever become what the owners want. There are going to be 8 or so teams that are so far ahead of us by the end of the summer it's just impossible. As sad and pessimistic as it is, mid table is the best we can achieve.

This is almost certainly correct. It's why I have no interest in discussing 'projects' or stuff of that nature on here. The league has ossified, and the only team who can change that are Newcastle, both because of the money and also because the media have already anointed them the newest member of the top group, so they will get a lot of intangible benefit from that.

We are part of the rest of the pack, where in most seasons the best we can hope for is to finish 8th, and the worst is to get relegated. Increasingly I find myself thinking that if we're not in any big relegation trouble - and I think we aren't, though it would be good to beat Watford to be on the safe side - then all I really want is entertainment, don't much care about the result beyond the level of achieving safety. From an entertainment perspective, the Leeds game was actually better than the Everton game, but today was shit both from a result and an entertainment point of view, so can't help feeling very downbeat tonight.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

We won't ever become what the owners want. There are going to be 8 or so teams that are so far ahead of us by the end of the summer it's just impossible. As sad and pessimistic as it is, mid table is the best we can achieve.

This is nonsense. A good pre season, a couple of key signings, there's no reason we can't push for Europe next season. 

No excuses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

I'm inclined to agree with you, it's almost futile but I guess we have blind faith.

Villa messed up today as Newcastle will likely stay up and be a force in seasons ahead and possibly even be fighting us for the top ten next season.

Man City messed with Lerner's Villa, I hope Newcastle don't do the same for NSWE.

From what we have witnessed over the last 12 months we are miles away. What really worries me is the formation and style of play Gerrard is trying to play. It just isn't working, and ends up as long ball bollocks. Might have worked in the Scottish Prem but this is another level. Yes we need two new defenders, yes we need a defensive midfielder, but if the notion that this is the way to play Premiership football Gerrard is wrong. We could easily get dragged into a relegation fight and lose to Watford and the alarm bells will be going off.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is almost certainly correct. It's why I have no interest in discussing 'projects' or stuff of that nature on here. The league has ossified, and the only team who can change that are Newcastle, both because of the money and also because the media have already anointed them the newest member of the top group, so they will get a lot of intangible benefit from that.

We are part of the rest of the pack, where in most seasons the best we can hope for is to finish 8th, and the worst is to get relegated. Increasingly I find myself thinking that if we're not in any big relegation trouble - and I think we aren't, though it would be good to beat Watford to be on the safe side - then all I really want is entertainment, don't much care about the result beyond the level of achieving safety. From an entertainment perspective, the Leeds game was actually better than the Everton game, but today was shit both from a result and an entertainment point of view, so can't help feeling very downbeat tonight.

More and more, no matter how positive things have been since Edens and Sawiris took over, I think that our one opportunity was when Ellis agreed to sell the club, before Mansour and FFP, and our fate was sealed from there.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1