Match Thread: Spurs v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

It was the same at Everton, first when Baily came on that we started creating anything.

I disagree. It wasn't clear cut chances but we still played well against Everton. 

And Bailey didn't change the formation. 

With this formation you need a midfielder pushing on, I don't know if that is meant to be Mcginn or Ramsey. You also need big input from the wing backs, as good as Cash and Targett are, they are full backs at heart. 

I think we've been poor, particularly in the middle 25 minutes of the half, but we've not been too far off them.

We're a threat from set pieces, but we have to be careful not to fall into the Stoke mindset of being a team that's only about set pieces - there are plenty of ball players out there and we need to be much better with the ball.

Interesting to see us using the three at the back to allow Mings the opportunity to go hunting - particularly early on when he was taking the ball off Moura in Spurs half. 

Interesting to see what Dean does here in terms of changes either in personnel or pattern - Ramsey on a booking is a bit of a worry and I think bringing Nakamba on and freeing Doug to play a little higher with McGinn might help us keep the ball.

Neither of the front two have really threatened, but Ings has done some superb defensive work tracking their fullback.

We're still in it and I think their confidence is thin enough that an equaliser might see them fold up.

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Surprised there’s so much negativity in here. We’ve been playing ok just need to sharpen up in the final third. 

This really hasn't been OK at all.

I don't think Spurs have played that well either, but we've been poor.

• Like 1

Just now, Spoony said:

Surprised there’s so much negativity in here. We’ve been playing ok just need to sharpen up in the final third. 

'Just' !

I agree with your prognosis - but not sure the fix is that easy. Watkins sees more of the ball - but his finishing is terrible at the mo.  Ings would probably bury the chances - but doesn't seem to get them.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

no. It never looked like a partnership and so its proving. Watkins seems to need an age to tee himself up for a shot - and Ings isn't getting the ball.  Both good players but weve nullified both of them.  It has to be one or the other.

How? Watkins should have scored twice last week and we've caused endless problems for Chelsea and United.

Too many have decided what they want before and now won't give things a chance. Even when it's working. 

Just now, hippo said:

no. It never looked like a partnership and so its proving. Watkins seems to need an age to tee himself up for a shot - and Ings isn't getting the ball.  Both good players but weve nullified both of them.  It has to be one or the other.

i suppose 2 x strikers on the pitch can have problems with chances, when we have zero creative players on the pitch.

All we seem to do is hoof it down the channels and hope for the best, and thats not the first time i have said that this season.

I dunno, i just cant believe we have players like Buendia and Traore on the bench (and Bailey injured), but we put none of them in the starting 11 when available, i just dont get it, i really dont.

Its like we are playing anti football.

• Like 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

i suppose 2 x strikers on the pitch can have problems with chances, when we have zero creative players on the pitch.

All we seem to do is hoof it down the channels and hope for the best, and thats not the first time i have said that this season.

I dunno, i just cant believe we have players like Buendia and Traore on the bench (and Bailey injured), but we put none of them in the starting 11 when available, i just dont get it, i really dont.

Its like we are playing anti football.

Was it anti football against Chelsea and Man U? 

Meh. 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 are the kryptonite of 3-5-2 I'd go 3-4-3 or back to the 4-3-3 to get some control. Poor goal to concede. Hoiberg totally free, Kane was totally free outside him too.

Other than that been a choppy bitty game.

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m all for criticizing the insane amount of negativity that too many express on this board but after the first 5 minutes it really did become dreadful. Couldn’t make a pass, couldn’t hold on to the ball, standing around during the goal, no real threat going forward… it’s been awhile since I’ve seen them play this bad.

• Like 1

Spurs were very good in the middle part of the first half - pressed well, passed and moved well and we struggled with the talent, particularly Son. 

The issue we have with this formation is the lack of creative players on the ball in the final third. Plenty of that on the bench, though.

Game is far from over.