Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

Ings and Watkins are a good interchangeable combo to have in the match day squad. One replacing the other after 65-70 mins in a game is a good option for us to have. Imagine a good few teams in the league are quite envious of it. 

6 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Ings and Watkins are a good interchangeable combo to have in the match day squad. One replacing the other after 65-70 mins in a game is a good option for us to have. Imagine a good few teams in the league are quite envious of it. 

The only issue I see with that is that Ings doesn't look like a striker who thrives playing alone up top. Most of his career his best performances have come when he's part of a front 2 and can drop in a bit to link up and supplement play. Watkins is fine as a lone striker, it's his game, but I would think to get the best out of Ings he needs a partner when playing.

However, if Archer steps up that could resolve the issue as it could then allow the flexibility to play 2 up top in some games, 1 in others and always still have an option on the bench to change potentially tactics if needed instead of just personnel. 

• Like 1

Ings with Buendia behind could be a lethal combo. As soon as Buendia gets the ball, Ings' eyes are lighting up, and vice versa when Emi sees Ings on the shoulder waiting to make the run.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Richie k said:

It will never happen but it would be interesting to have Ings up top with a 3 behind him of Watkins, Coutinho and Buendia.

why would Watkins play behind a striker?, he isnt skilful, has no vision, isnt technically good?

Watkins is an out and out pressing striker, he doesnt have the ability to play in the AM type positions.

although, i would like to see Coutinho, Buendia & Bailey behind either Ings or Watkins.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Richie k said:

It will never happen but it would be interesting to have Ings up top with a 3 behind him of Watkins, Coutinho and Buendia.

wouldn't it make more sense if it was Bailey over Watkins in that scenario?

2 hours ago, Richie k said:

Ollie dosen't really want to commit to playing wide at prem level, pretty half hearted in the odd game he was tried out last season.

When I think about it probably turning point for Ings was that goal disallowed v Man. United in the cup. He scored a nice one v Brentford so I think if that had been allowed that might've sparked him to go on a decent scoring run.

I get the chances creation point but he did miss a few, still can't get over that Spurs first half when he fell over the ball from six yards. Also missed a decent chance at 1-1 v Liverpool.

Would love Gerrard to be radical and start Archer v Bournemouth and Everton. Fancy him to score in one of those games and then he'd be off. Might aswell mean of the senior strikers wants to move on. Doubt that will happen though.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Would love Gerrard to be radical and start Archer v Bournemouth and Everton. Fancy him to score in one of those games and then he'd be off.

Na… he should stick around.

• Haha 1

I think when it comes to striking the ball, he is a killer.

The problem is that the midfielder’s have to work extra hard off the ball when he isn’t playing without Ollie.

Mainly because his pressing is not as effective as Ollie’s.

Let’s just say he scores twice against Rennes. I can see SG starting him against Bournemouth.

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

Hope no one has brought the new shirt with his old number on as he’s moved to 9

6384BB81-CBD0-4DC7-AAE6-7C1205A380D9.jpeg

Hope this means he gets more time, chuffed for him.  Wished we were adding another striker but if not he is the better striker to Watkins

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Hope no one has brought the new shirt with his old number on as he’s moved to 9

6384BB81-CBD0-4DC7-AAE6-7C1205A380D9.jpeg

The club have stated that the squad numbers will be announced at the end of the transfer window.

Hope he can break the 9 curse.

Some exalted names to have previously held this shirt:

- Wesley (one of the better ones tbf)

- Stephen Ireland

- Marlon Harewood

- Scott Hogan

- Scott Sinclair

- Nicklas Helenius

Darren Bent is the only one who could remotely be close to a success, and even he only had a decent two thirds of a season with the 9 shirt before getting injured and never breaking back into the first team.

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

The club have stated that the squad numbers will be announced at the end of the transfer window.

If they’re confirming the numbers after the window “SLAMS SHUT”, that would mean, we’re still open for business

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Hope he can break the 9 curse.

Some exalted names to have previously held this shirt:

- Wesley (one of the better ones tbf)

- Stephen Ireland

- Marlon Harewood

- Scott Hogan

- Scott Sinclair

- Nicklas Helenius

Darren Bent is the only one who could remotely be close to a success, and even he only had a decent two thirds of a season with the 9 shirt before getting injured and never breaking back into the first team.

Big Dion our last decent number 9? 

Just now, AVTuco said:

It probably doesn't mean anything, but I hope this means Ings is our number 1 striker.

Pretty sure it means he's our number 9 striker 

Slow Smile GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

Â