Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

20 hours ago, imavillan said:

The club have stated that the squad numbers will be announced at the end of the transfer window.

How can they be confirmed in Sept when we start playing next week?

30 minutes ago, jim said:

How can they be confirmed in Sept when we start playing next week?

I think they will be given numbers but it tells me there could be more signings and definately outgoings.

You'd be pretty miffed if you bought a shirt with a player and number on it and it changed in Sept though. 

• Thanks 1

we all know ings is a quality PL striker which, for whatever reason, we definitely did not see the best of last year. He lacked that clincial sharpness we have seen at Southampton without a doubt. If this is a way of giving him confidence and getting him firing, then thats a good thing imo. I also think we were guilty of playing him off the bench a bit too much last year and sometimes we didnt spot his runs or try to accomodate his playstyle, which isnt the first time i have seen us do that with a striker.

I'm backing him to get 15 goals this season in all comps, lets hope he smashes it and gets even more. Him and Bailey will have better 2nd seasons and be like 2 new signings :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

we all know ings is a quality PL striker which, for whatever reason, we definitely did not see the best of last year. He lacked that clincial sharpness we have seen at Southampton without a doubt. If this is a way of giving him confidence and getting him firing, then thats a good thing imo. I also think we were guilty of playing him off the bench a bit too much last year and sometimes we didnt spot his runs or try to accomodate his playstyle, which isnt the first time i have seen us do that with a striker.

I'm backing him to get 15 goals this season in all comps, lets hope he smashes it and gets even more. Him and Bailey will have better 2nd seasons and be like 2 new signings :)

He needs a good run of games. Seem to have got dropped last season if the team were not having a good game, which was unfair, as Watkin's got most games regardless.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ings looks unfit to me.

He was pretty embarrassing when he came on yesterday. Played like a 40 year old with shot knees. Couldn't move at all.

I reckon he's fit, this is just the level he is.

I think I'd still start him at Bournemouth incredibly.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He was pretty embarrassing when he came on yesterday. Played like a 40 year old with shot knees. Couldn't move at all.

I think it's because he played (and scored?) the previous day.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think it's because he played (and scored?) the previous day.

Hopefully yes. Bit strange how he was the only one that came out? Maybe he didn't start the Fulham game either?

On 31/07/2022 at 11:36, Tomaszk said:

Or maybe like a 30 year old with shot knees? That might not be an all too inaccurate description.

Edited by sparrow1988

He’ll be halfway through his contract in January, meaning we’ll be able to accept about £12.5m offers for him and break even for FFP. I wouldn’t be surprised if this happened, and we signed a new first team striker in that window. £12.5m is a much more palatable purchase price for a club, and there’s bound to be a club who would take that risk. 

I still think he’s our best striker, and would like to see him get at least 3-4 starts at the beginning of the season with at least two of Buendia, Bailey and Coutinho behind him. He’s been disappointing on the whole, but would like to see him at least have a chance to be our main guy, and then reassess in January. 

6 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

He’ll be halfway through his contract in January, meaning we’ll be able to accept about £12.5m offers for him and break even for FFP. I wouldn’t be surprised if this happened, and we signed a new first team striker in that window. £12.5m is a much more palatable purchase price for a club, and there’s bound to be a club who would take that risk. 

I still think he’s our best striker, and would like to see him get at least 3-4 starts at the beginning of the season with at least two of Buendia, Bailey and Coutinho behind him. He’s been disappointing on the whole, but would like to see him at least have a chance to be our main guy, and then reassess in January. 

Its his wages nobody will take from us. Nobody is paying 120k a week for a striker underperforming which he will be doing if we sell him

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its his wages nobody will take from us. Nobody is paying 120k a week for a striker underperforming which he will be doing if we sell him

With 18 months left on his deal, he might be willing to accept a lower wage over a longer period, so say £90k per week for 3.5 years, for example. 

5 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

With 18 months left on his deal, he might be willing to accept a lower wage over a longer period, so say £90k per week for 3.5 years, for example. 

sadly nobody would give him that deal either he is 30 now . Tony Xia or Steve Bruce wont be involved with a Premier LEague team to make that stupid business decision :P 

• Haha 2

He needs to produce and show something like his best this season to justify the outlay… really hope this signing doesn’t end up proving to be a heavy and unnecessary financial burden…

Unsure if it’s part of the reason Ollie has been so off his game too… a disruption that wasn’t required…

Ings looked like he was running in custard last season and missed several chances that he would normally be expected to bury with ease. Hope he does well… he has the ability but is he “past it” now? We need a proper and reliable finisher…

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

He needs to produce and show something like his best this season to justify the outlay… really hope this signing doesn’t end up proving to be a heavy and unnecessary financial burden…

Unsure if it’s part of the reason Ollie has been so off his game too… a disruption that wasn’t required…

Ings looked like he was running in custard last season and missed several chances that he would normally be expected to bury with ease. Hope he does well… he has the ability but is he “past it” now? We need a proper and reliable finisher…

For the millionth time, his outlay considering his starts/mins was actually completely fine. 

Obviously, everyone would like him to bang in 25 goals this season, but he does actually have to get some consistent starts to do that. 

Re: finishing: Newcastle at home? Brentford away? Southampton at home? All absolutely top drawer finishes, one with his weaker foot. 

Re: pace: Again Brentford away, put through by Buendia, powered away from the two CB's just fine to me thanks. He's never been lightning. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s also funny how certain people overlook just how many assists he got in an injury hit season. He’s got a great footballing brain. 

Yeah, he's a really smart player.

Both he and Watkins have really good qualities - we just haven't found the way to bring them to the fore in Gerrard's system.  I despair at how quickly people want to get rid of players.  Everything is so "now now now".

52 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

For the millionth time, his outlay considering his starts/mins was actually completely fine. 

Obviously, everyone would like him to bang in 25 goals this season, but he does actually have to get some consistent starts to do that. 

Re: finishing: Newcastle at home? Brentford away? Southampton at home? All absolutely top drawer finishes, one with his weaker foot. 

Re: pace: Again Brentford away, put through by Buendia, powered away from the two CB's just fine to me thanks. He's never been lightning. 

“Outlay” - expense, the transfer fee and massive wages. He has looked like a player in decline. 

If you thought I meant “output” then I acknowledge that he had the most goal contributions but, let’s be honest, we all expected a lot more from him and that’s not a huge feat for what was an underperforming side/squad.

You make some fair points and I hope he gets more time (especially if Ollie continues to struggle) and shows what he’s about.

I didn’t speak of pace, I know he’s not fast. But he really struggled to seem to get going and didn’t look very mobile, most of the time. Seems to struggle to get around the pitch and would be better off focusing on CF position rather than playing deep (we have better or more suited players for that).

On  Brentford, if I remember correctly, didn’t he play as the lone striker? Was set up beautifully by Buendia.

Yes I remember those moments but you’ve also seemingly overlooked (in your comment) the poor performances and easy chances that he missed. He wasn’t as reliable as we assumed he would be. It’s easy to pick out 2 or 3 moments but that’s not enough…

For me, the greater question is that SG must decide on his preferred CF and not continue to play the players who are in poorer form.

Don’t mean to be harsh on him, no one other than JJ and Cash had a good season or showed their best.

Hope they can all do better and that we have a great season. We need to get the best out of these players…

Â