Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Best striker at the club and it's not even close.

Did think he might be shoved out the door tbf. Gerrard obviously doesn't trust him.

He drops him if he doesn't bag 2 games running and a few times we've chased a goal and he's either not come on or been given 10 mins.

I'm not sure that's true, he started 7 of the last 10 games.

I’d rather have Ings contributing goals and “not running as much as Watkins” than Watkins running around lots being offside, losing the ball and missing sitters week in week out. 

• Like 2

If he is staying then I hope he contributes more than 7 goals next season. I don't care about the assists so much because most of them from memory were down to brilliant finishes  from the player that scored. 

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

If he is staying then I hope he contributes more than 7 goals next season. I don't care about the assists so much because most of them from memory were down to brilliant finishes  from the player that scored. 

He wasn’t our first choice striker, so the numbers of goals is misleading. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

at least 2 were defensive splitting passes

Ings had goals per 90 of 0.33 last season, Watkins had 0.34. The season before Watkins had 0.38 and Ings had 0.5

Ings G+A per 90 for last 4 seasons read

0.55, 0.77, 0.66 and then this season 0.62

If Ings can bump up his goals per 90 back toward 0.5 he should get well into double figures for goals. 

In the modern Prem game goals are now spread across more players as a way of breaking down defence. 

• Like 1

Ings in! 

He missed some big chances last season in key games but that finish against Liverpool (which was offside) is evidence of what he is capable of. I think a fully fit confident Ings playing regularly will get us 15 goals. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

On 14/06/2022 at 12:46, PaulC said:

I don't care about the assists so much because most of them from memory were down to brilliant finishes  from the player that scored. 

From memory some of them were the most enjoyable assists I’ve seen in a Villa shirt in years. The balls to Bailey and Cash for theirs in particular were *chef’s kiss* vision.

• Like 1

This I like to see. No one is saying athletes can't have fun (in moderation) on their off season but always love seeing guys putting in the extra effort.

Jordan Henderson‘s preparations for the start of Liverpool’s pre-season have started in earnest, and he’s been working alongside ex-Red Danny Ings in Portugal.

The Reds’ season may feel as though it only just finished, but the majority of Jurgen Klopp‘s squad are to reconvene for the start of pre-season in less than 14 days.

It means individual fitness work is to be back in full swing and the Liverpool captain is wasting no time in getting back to work, finding himself at a popular training spot for the club.

Henderson is in Algarve, Portugal at a high-performance campus designed for athletes, rehabilitation and pre-season preparation, an idyllic setting with warm weather training.

Both Joe Gomez and Virgil van Dijk trained in Algarve last summer ahead of their comeback seasons, and now Henderson is enjoying all ‘The Campus’ has to offer.

Working with personal trainer and athlete coach, Alex Parsons, Henderson and Ings were put through their paces under the Portuguese sun. 

The exercises are designed to bring stability to actions and movements made on the pitch, valuable training with another long season ahead for club and country ahead.

Ings had a mixed bag for Aston Villa last season, making 31 appearances with a return of only eight goals and Steven Gerrard will be eager for that tally to be improved upon next time out.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/06/jordan-henderson-trains-alongside-ex-red-at-liverpools-popular-portugal-spot/

Now compare that to what Grealish and I'm sure a few others are up to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, sne said:

Now compare that to what Grealish and I'm sure a few others are up to.

Fair play to him. Nowadays if you are premier league player near 30 you need to be training all year round. You can't do an Eden hazard and go on the piss for a summer and come back to preseason 8kg overweight. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Fair play to him. Nowadays if you are premier league player near 30 you need to be training all year round. You can't do an Eden hazard and go on the piss for a summer and come back to preseason 8kg overweight. 

The James Harden annual summer pig-out :D

• Haha 1

Just now, roonst83 said:

Love the quote "Gerrard will be eager for that tally (8 goals) to be improved upon next time out">

Try playing him more then!!

You do realise Gerrard didn't actually say that? That's the writer's opinion.. 

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

You do realise Gerrard didn't actually say that? That's the writer's opinion.. 

I actually did realise that but I can see how it looks like I thought it was a direct quote from Gerrard. My point being, I'm sure Gerrard will be keen for Ings to score more, but that won't happen unless he plays him more.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, roonst83 said:

I actually did realise that but I can see how it looks like I thought it was a direct quote from Gerrard. My point being, I'm sure Gerrard will be keen for Ings to score more, but that won't happen unless he plays him more.

If he scores more, he'll play more 🙂

• Like 1

Â