Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It was a panic buy and he has never really fitted our system. I thought we had gone past buying players past their peak on big contracts.  I hope he has a productive  year but his stats suggest a  decline in play and call me pessimistic but I think he will just be a back up option by the end of the season

This signing didn’t make sense and whilst this is not a criticism of Smith I do think a stronger manager would have objected to it if only playing one up top.  Smith it seemed agreed and tried to incorporate both him and Watkins.

However it did soften the blow of losing Grealish at the time and he is not past his peak, he is at it. He also has 2 years left on his deal so it’s not like he’s been tied down in to a large contract for 5 years.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It was a panic buy and he has never really fitted our system. I thought we had gone past buying players past their peak on big contracts.  I hope he has a productive  year but his stats suggest a  decline in play and call me pessimistic but I think he will just be a back up option by the end of the season

I don't think it was a panic buy, we were short of good strikers and if Ollie had picked up a season long injury at the start of the season I would have questioned the club why we didn't have a good striker to immediately fill the gap.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

He’s more of an intelligent footballer than Watkins, I think he links up with Coutinho and Buendia well. It won’t happen but that would be my starting 3

Definitely the more intelligent of the two, only issue is it seems some of Ollie's finishing might have rubbed off on him. Lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This signing didn’t make sense and whilst this is not a criticism of Smith I do think a stronger manager would have objected to it if only playing one up top.  Smith it seemed agreed and tried to incorporate both him and Watkins.

However it did soften the blow of losing Grealish at the time and he is not past his peak, he is at it. He also has 2 years left on his deal so it’s not like he’s been tied down in to a large contract for 5 years.

The signing made perfect sense, just because he hasn’t hit the ground in his first season doesn’t take that away.  He’s a quality striker with top experience and we couldn’t just rely on Ollie which was shown in Ollie’s second season.  It was smart business, hopefully second season he can show his quality.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The signing made perfect sense, just because he hasn’t hit the ground in his first season doesn’t take that away.  He’s a quality striker with top experience and we couldn’t just rely on Ollie which was shown in Ollie’s second season.  It was smart business, hopefully second season he can show his quality.

It made sense if there was a plan for both him and Ollie such as them both competing for one spot. Trying to play them both and using a back 5 to accommodate it wasn’t great at all.

It made no sense in terms how Smith tried to use them both imo.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It made sense if there was a plan for both him and Ollie such as them both competing for one spot. Trying to play them both and using a back 5 to accommodate it wasn’t great at all.

It made no sense in terms how Smith tried to use them both imo.

Well Ollie was injured at the start of the season, then Danny got a knock.  Ollie was having a temper tantrum because there was a new striker at the club and Smith didn’t really have any time at the club at the beginning of the season before he went.  So you can’t really say anything about Smith and them because there wasn’t enough time to evaluate.  Smith got fired because of bad 2022 and five defeats so whether Danny/Ollie would’ve worked under him or his ideas we’ll never know.

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I swear everyone who underperforms for us gets labelled with the not fully fit excuse whether that's true or not. I see people saying that for Konsa to explain his underperformance when he was barely even injured before his season-ending injury.

Yeah, this one came from a podcast (MOMS I think) where one of the hosts knows him or is a friend of a friend. Said that he wasn't where he wanted to be in terms of fitness until March.

Obviously I can't offer much in terms of the veracity of that statement.

Guess we'll see this season - or at least the first half of it.

I have no idea what kind of season Ings is going to have. I think I prefer him to Watkins but there’s a strong chance our highest paid player is going to be on the bench a lot this season.

He absolutely cannot play with Watkins. If those two start together, it very rarely works. I hope the manager can see that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I have no idea what kind of season Ings is going to have. I think I prefer him to Watkins but there’s a strong chance our highest paid player is going to be on the bench a lot this season.

He absolutely cannot play with Watkins. If those two start together, it very rarely works. I hope the manager can see that. 

You got to haver pace up front and he has really slowed down. 

• Like 1

On 22/07/2022 at 07:16, nick76 said:

The signing would have made perfect sense if Deano had a formation and the correct players ready and prepared to accommodate Ings in the system to allow the team to flourish. 

They didn't. It was a ridiculous signing. I would be very surprised if this was a Lange recommendation. 

28 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

The signing would have made perfect sense if Deano had a formation and the correct players ready and prepared to accommodate Ings in the system to allow the team to flourish. 

They didn't. It was a ridiculous signing. I would be very surprised if this was a Lange recommendation. 

Can’t agree… with the likes of Bailey, Buendia and Traore around Ings he did have the supporting cast to take advantage of Ings skills.  As we know it didn’t work out for a number reasons but the signing was sound at that time and could still work out this season but who knows.  Watkins certainly isn’t producing so maybe give Ings a run in the strikers spot to see if it works if we don’t buy another striker.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can’t agree… with the likes of Bailey, Buendia and Traore around Ings he did have the supporting cast to take advantage of Ings skills.  As we know it didn’t work out for a number reasons but the signing was sound at that time and could still work out this season but who knows.  Watkins certainly isn’t producing so maybe give Ings a run in the strikers spot to see if it works if we don’t buy another striker.

I agree completely with you. But, he was never dropping Watkins. So then it's Ings, Watkins, Bailey, Buendia, Traore et al and we get absolutely smashed defensively.

The signing didn't work because the manager tried to shoehorn them both into a team and couldn't find a viable way of doing it. I fear that managers replacement is doing the same thing.

Chris 65
SG has very much tried to improve our team, however when are we going to get a true No 9 who knows how to score goals,
AshPreeceAVM5 HRS AGO
Reply to Chris65

Hello Chris, thanks for jumping on. A new striker continues to dominate discussion amongst fans and rightly so given the shortcomings in the final third in Aus. I must say Danny Ings' finishing in the two sessions I was present was truly phenomenal, honestly, looks razor-sharp but has been starved of service in the friendlies. Watkins has cut a frustrated figure over the last two weeks. SG will be pondering a new No.9 but we'll have to wait and see. The goals will start to flow should it begin to click. More work needs doing in the final third, though

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-live-rennes-24587050

Edited by Jas10

On 26/07/2022 at 17:57, rodders0223 said:

Doesn't cover the ground aswell as Watkins and I'm concerned for him as in that aspect SG appears to be a bit of a dinosaur. That and his views on playing with injuries and such.

Why does wanting a striker who presses well make Gerrard a dinosaur? Must be a fairly large proportion of teams that want a striker who can run the channels and press in the premier league. 

Â