Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

Watkins is scoring now and generally playing much better than a few months ago. Ings will be itching to take his place because like many posters have said they just don't work together on the pitch.

Not bad to have serious competition and I think Ings can work in a Gerrard system. A hungry Danny Ings coming off the bench when we need a goal isn't too bad a thought.

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Most people are scared of depth and rotation,  almost like they don’t want us to reach the next level

I struggle to see how Ings is next level when he isn't better than Watkins. 

He is also blocking the pathway for Archer. 

Ings best days are past him and he is injury prone. I think it was a poor piece of business. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Ings beat days are past him and he is injury prone. I think it was a poor piece of business. 

If Watkins gets injured, we have a seasoned goal scorer in Ings as backup.

In terms of Archer he wasn't even considered to be 3rd choice when we signed Ings so it's not blocking the pathway, but providing competition, young players need that. Archers done well but he's not anywhere near the level of Ings and certainly isn't ready to lead the line for us if Watkins gets a long term injury. 

Edited by The Other Mat
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

If Watkins gets injured, we have a seasoned goal scorer in Ings as backup.

In terms of Archer he wasn't even considered to be 3rd choice when we signed Ings so it's not blocking the pathway, but providing competition, young players need that. Archers done well but he's not anywhere near the level of Ings and certainly isn't ready to lead the line for us if Watkins gets a long term injury. 

What's the point with Archer being here then? 

Literally no way in for him. 

Not sure why people completely ignore the fact that Archer always plays as a wide forward, he hardly ever plays through the middle, even at U23 level when he plays he plays as one of the wide men in a front three. At Solihull he mostly played wide as well. Caleb Chukwuemeka is the academy striker that's being developed for a role through the middle, I imagine we will be seeing more of him around the first team squad if Davis goes out on loan, presuming he doesn't go out on loan himself.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure why people completely ignore the fact that Archer always plays as a wide forward, he hardly ever plays through the middle, even at U23 level when he plays he plays as one of the wide men in a front three. At Solihull he mostly played wide as well. Caleb Chukwuemeka is the academy striker that's being developed for a role through the middle, I imagine we will be seeing more of him around the first team squad if Davis goes out on loan, presuming he doesn't go out on loan himself.

I mean, Archer has to my memory always played as a centre forward for our senior team. I've never seen people talk about him as a wide forward before.

It's different to someone like Bidace for example.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

He's played one game for the senior team as a centre forward and that was against Barrow, because Watkins and ings were rested, and Davis was out injured. He more often than not plays as a wide forward, he played there for our academy teams, he played there for us when he made his debut, he mostly played there whilst on loan at Solihull, he plays there this season for our U23s in the EFL Trophy.

44 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What's the point with Archer being here then? 

Literally no way in for him. 

To train with the first team and develop, he’s likely to go out on loan again depending on what happens with Keinan Davis the coming window, if The no way in thing is your argument what’s the point of Our entire u23’s? Let’s sell a quality senior striker so Archer can get minutes? 

Edit: I'm not saying that Archer won't end up being a centre forward, like Barry that may well be his long term position, but for now he mostly plays wide, and if he isn't first choice centre forward for the U23s when he plays for them, he's unlikely to have a chance of playing there for the first team ahead of the likes of Watkins, Ings, and even Davis, Caleb Chukwuemeka will probably also overtake him in line for a place in the first team as a centre forward as well given that he's already playing there ahead of Archer for the U23s.

As for Ings it's not just about whether we want to sell him or not, given that we started the season trying to play him and Watkins in the same team, I think there's a fair chance he signed for us in the believe that he'd be a starter for us, now Gerrard is here that probably won't the case, so the question of whether he will be happy or not to be a squad player also comes into it, if he's happy enough for that role all well and good.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

can't be bothered to go back a few pages, but are people really suggesting selling ings?

You say "people" but I suspect Russian bots sowing discord.  It's the only logical explanation.

Edited by sidcow

A lot of pundits were saying Ings to man city would be a good move or Ings would be the perfect replacement if Kane went to spurs. 

We should consider ourselves lucky that we've got him here. Gerrard will make it work. He knows he has to.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Ings best days are past him and he is injury prone. I think it was a poor piece of business. 

Do you think he's better than Archer right now?

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

A lot of pundits were saying Ings to man city would be a good move or Ings would be the perfect replacement if Kane went to spurs. 

We should consider ourselves lucky that we've got him here. Gerrard will make it work. He knows he has to.

He'll want to make it work, just not sure it will. Ings looks very, very ordinary to me so far.

Â