Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

48 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Mental to consider selling him. We're now a team that can bring in Danny Ings instead of Keinan Davies if we can an injury up front. 

Rather than constantly trying to sell someone out of form, why don't we consider just building on what we have.

Or we could buy better?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Apart from scoring last night, Watkins was generally poor in that game as many said in the various threads.  Ings got 30 minutes under his belt last night after injury to get some fitness and you can tell from Gerrard’s comments he rates him very highly, so Ings won’t be Watkins back up, he’ll be on rotation with Watkins and whoever deserves the shirt will play.

No issue at all with rotation, I just don’t want to see Watkins and Ings on the pitch together at the same time. I really think it weakens us.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Or we could buy better?

Is there really a better striker available and affordable? Most of the strikers in this league are having a poor season. Bringing players in from abroad is a risk as you don't know how they will adapt. IMO Ings is quite a decent option to have.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

If Gerrard and his staff can get a tune out of Watkins and Ings in the same 11 then I will be very impressed.

Within 5 minutes of them coming on we lost all shape and ball retention and balance.

It is one or the other and Oli is back firing.

Good headache.

Fully agree. However with our injuries and covid I can see the need to play them together in the short term.

It just looks a bit clunky currently, and I'm not sure its just watkins not suiting the wing role. 

It may be worth reversing the roles to see if ings plays the 10 role better.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Ings is too injury prone to be relied on as our main striker. 

Watkins press more effectively, more athletic, better age, less injury prone, more development potential. 

I see very little reasons favoring Ings. 

Why is there a need? We have both, they can both play through rotation.  

All those things are valid for Watkins but Ings is the better finisher, more experience understanding situations and Ollie can learn from Ings just as Ings can learn from Ollie.  

They will push each other to get the shirt, which is great for us.  

Ollie still has a lot to learn and can learn from Ings.  Ings is a proven PL striker.

We don’t need to be relied on as our main striker as we have both him and Ollie, and from Gerrard’s comments he wants Ings around so I don’t see him being sold and I think we’d be foolish to do so.  

Having two quality strikers is great for us even if you think Ollie is number one which is up for discussion.  At worst we’ll have Ings as back up if Ollie is injured like he has been this season or out of form like he has been at times this season. Plenty of minutes for both available, Ings has almost 900 minutes so far, so there is space for both in the squad and the main thing is it seems Gerrard wants both of them.

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Just seems an expensive back up option to have a 29 year old on 120 grand a week sitting on the bench most of the time.

900 minutes so far this season suggests he’s not only going to a bench player.  Gerrard’s comments about Ings suggests he isn’t only going to be a bench player.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Just seems an expensive back up option to have a 29 year old on 120 grand a week sitting on the bench most of the time.

If we see ourselves as a club challenging for Europe then you need another quality 11 in the squad. Otherwise you pull a Burnley and finish just above relegation due to the stress of a European campaign. 

I'm with you.  I would have preferred a cheaper options but after losing Grealish we needed some proven PL quality to call upon. The fee was on the low side and contract length is right (3 years) so I can accept the higher than average wages. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Mental to consider selling him. We're now a team that can bring in Danny Ings instead of Keinan Davies if we can an injury up front. 

Rather than constantly trying to sell someone out of form, why don't we consider just building on what we have.

Or just do the classic VT.

"I think he could make a good DM. I'd like to see him at DM. He has the attributes."

• Like 1

Â