Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

Who do you drop from the team that played Leicester to include Ings? Sanson was on the bench. You also have Bailey to fit in to.

JJ.  For me he is better competing in the middle of the park rather than further forward.  But he has improved a hell of a lot more than I thought he would this season.

3 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I hope he turns into a world beater for us but I just can't see it. One freak season aside he's been average at best.

For me, wrong player, wrong time.

If you ignore the season where he scored 22 goals and got 2 assists in 31 games worth of minutes (0.77 goal contributions per 90) which as an aside seems silly to discount but anyway... if you do then he still has 33 goals and 12 assists in 83 minutes worth of games (0.54 goal contributions per 90). Pretty sure that's still above average for strikers in this league.

I don't think he was the absolute optimal purchase based on where our weaknesses lie but I'm pretty sure Gerrard will make good use of him. The higher intensity will mean we need a bigger squad and this is the kind of quality we need.

2 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

So proof that £25 million can be spent on crap?

Ings is in the same bracket as the dross you've highlighted.... We've had our pants pulled down with this one.

Ings might we'll work out, I'm not seeing it thought. He'd be a better fit at a West Ham or Newcastle.

Biggest load of B******s posted this year, nice one, you just got it in on time.

Ing's when on form is quality. I would have a inform Ing's over Watkins all day long.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Biggest load of B******s posted this year, nice one, you just got it in on time.

Ing's when on form is quality. I would have a inform Ing's over Watkins all day long.

Ever feel like you've misread the room...... 🤔

Look, last word on this now. Ings might turn out great, I hope he does.

Unfortunately I've not seen enough to suggest it's gonna work out for him at Villa. As I've said previously, I think he's the wrong fit, the wrong profile.

He's at the wrong end of his career to "prove" anything. His move to Villa feels like a payday transfer. If he sticks around I don't think he'll play much.

Again, I hope I'm wrong but my gut feel is this transfer was a bad decision.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Unfortunately I've not seen enough to suggest it's gonna work out for him at Villa. As I've said previously, I think he's the wrong fit, the wrong profile.

He's at the wrong end of his career to "prove" anything. His move to Villa feels like a payday transfer. If he sticks around I don't think he'll play much.

He's played less than a handful of games for Villa and scored a few goals, not sure why the moment a new signing gets injured everyone wets their pants and rights them off as if there is a battle for the first person to smugly claim they told you so. It genuinely seems people actually want signings to fail... (I hope that is nonsense but reading Sanson, Buendia and now Bailey threads people revel in predicting a player will crash and burn).

We needed a second striker who could actually score goals, to come in when Olly was off form or injured. It's possible also Gerrard will work out a way of getting Olly and Ings playing together. 

Ings is a proven Prem goal scorer and hopefully in a team playing with more threat and confidence he will thrive.

I'm sure most would have preferred we signed Abraham including me, but a lot of people said he wasn't good enough also.

Our recent striker imports haven't worked out well, so I can understand why they went with proven experience.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

He can be the wrong fit and the wrong player without him actually being shit though can't he? He's a good striker at this level.

However, if Newcastle (for example)came calling and pretty much matched what we spent I wouldn't hesitate to sell him and reinvest in a younger player that could play in one of the deeper roles as well challenge/ back up Watkins up front. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, picicata said:

He can be the wrong fit and the wrong player without him actually being shit though can't he? He's a good striker at this level.

However, if Newcastle (for example)came calling and pretty much matched what we spent I wouldn't hesitate to sell him and reinvest in a younger player that could play in one of the deeper roles as well challenge/ back up Watkins up front. 

yes seemed like a panic buy to me, not very well thought through

On 08/12/2021 at 17:51, jimmygreaves said:

Ings is in the same bracket as the dross you've highlighted.... We've had our pants pulled down with this one.

Ings might we'll work out, I'm not seeing it thought. He'd be a better fit at a West Ham or Newcastle.

He's dross but would be a better fit at a team that...finished 6th last season and are currently 4th?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Danishlad said:

yes seemed like a panic buy to me, not very well thought through

I honestly don’t get this line of thinking.  

Big teams were interested in him and people, including on this site, thought he would go to one of them and also that he wouldn’t pick us if we tried.  Some might not agree with this but was talked about.

As for not well thought through? As somebody pointed out a page or two ago the players/strikers that have been brought who have cost a lot more than 25m, Ings is good value for money.  

As for fit to the club, he’s a pressing striker, proven at PL level and scores plenty of goals.  

Seems like we undercut other clubs, at a reasonable price for the type of player we needed and proven at this level and this league, so seems very well thought through and executed brilliantly before somebody undercut us.

Gerrard: “It’s great to have Danny (Ings) back in full training, he’s training quite well.

“We’ve obviously got three games coming up in a week so we’ll have to manage his load.

“But it’s great to have him back, it’s a real big boost for us. He certainly brings a lot more firepower to the squad.

Sounds like Gerrard thinks he'll be useful. Be nice to see some rotation of strong players over the busy period. Literal squad goals.

• Like 2

On 08/12/2021 at 19:37, nick76 said:

We don’t really know if they can play together.  Ollie was injured early in the season and then well out of form, meanwhile the team were playing poorly, losing 5 games on the trot.  

They have probably only played a combined less than 6 games together, in a poor performing team, one player post injury and out of form and the other just joined another team.  

Too early to make a determination.

That’s why all along I’ve said if they can’t play together…

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

If only we could combine Ings technical ability and brain with Watkins pace and workrate. Watkins is beyond frustrating to watch at times.

Ings works just as hard as Watkins does.

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Maybe but he's not as effective as he's not as pacey

But he’s a better finisher and more likely to be in the right place when a chance occurs.

Edited by nick76

On 08/12/2021 at 17:51, jimmygreaves said:

If Ings was in the Brighton team he'd be pushing Salah for golden boot right now. 

He could end up not working out for us but like feck is he crap. 

I'd expect this sort of reactionary rubbish from a younger fan, new to the game but given your profile name etc, you've been around the block. Ings has had multiple seasons of being clinical in terms of goals to game-time. 

• Like 2

Â