Tim Iroegbunam

useless

The time is now… he HAS to step up and prove Unai (and his prior words) right:

But I want him now here because I decided to stick with him and let Dendoncker leave because in case the moment comes like now.

"It is his moment. Firstly, every day in the training session he has to train to play in the matches and to get the performance we want of him and then enjoy. He has to be ready and he has to be ready but being demanding and say ‘it is my time and I am here!’ I don’t know if he is going to, but I am positive with him and I believe in him.

"Maybe he will need minutes and matches more than one or two to get confidence, but he has to do it quick. It is his moment. When I was speaking about my responsibility to give him chances, but then it is their responsibility.

"They have to be ready. Football is nice and it is a privilege to play and work in football. But it is very difficult and very demanding. We have to support the players and help them, trying always to give them chances and to set them on the pitch in our structure tactically. They have to play and in the end, football is for them."

Asked if he is putting faith in the youth, Emery said: "We have to do it, we have to try and support and help. Tim has been working with us for five months. He started being injured in the summer but he was available training with us the last few months.

"I was testing him in each session we were having, it was a test for him. I was testing him with our coaches. I think he is a player who can progress and we think he could progress more now [after] giving him more chances to play."

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Answer: No one

That’s not true.  He had a good game when he played DM before for us.  Don’t make me go and find out who it was against 

51 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I'm hoping Tim does so well we keep him there and put McGinn back to RM when he's available. 

That’d be wonderful

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

That’s not true.  He had a good game when he played DM before for us.  Don’t make me go and find out who it was against 

He played 30 minutes as DM vs Palace at home last year when Kamara went out injured while we were 1-0 up and acquitted himself okay. He also played DM Burnley away 3-1 under Gerrard.

So in that sense, he's a serviceable DM against Championship sides which is fair enough.

Unfortunately, only 3 of our last 10 matches are against bottom half sides 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DJBOB said:

He played 30 minutes as DM vs Palace at home last year when Kamara went out injured while we were 1-0 up and acquitted himself okay. He also played DM Burnley away 3-1 under Gerrard.

So in that sense, he's a serviceable DM against Championship sides which is fair enough.

Unfortunately, only 3 of our last 10 matches are against bottom half sides 

He was at QPR when Kamara went off injured v Palace.

Burnley away Chambers was playing as DM as funnily enough just mentioned that game in his own thread:

Aston Villa 3-1 Burnley (7 May, 2022) Final Score - ESPN (UK)

Tim was unused sub that day. He'd started a week earlier at home to Norwich.

I think the issue with him as DM is by all accounts QPR fans said he was much more effective for them as a box to box midfielder and I get the same feeling from what I saw.

Think it makes more sense to have Luiz as the deepest midfielder and ask Tim to push on and press more higher up the field.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He was at QPR when Kamara went off injured v Palace.

Burnley away Chambers was playing as DM as funnily enough just mentioned that game in his own thread:

Aston Villa 3-1 Burnley (7 May, 2022) Final Score - ESPN (UK)

Tim was unused sub that day. He'd started a week earlier at home to Norwich.

I think the issue with him as DM is by all accounts QPR fans said he was much more effective for them as a box to box midfielder and I get the same feeling from what I saw.

Think it makes more sense to have Luiz as the deepest midfielder and ask Tim to push on and press more higher up the field.

Ah I was talking about Chambers in the DM spot. 

I think Luiz should stay as the box to box as the Tim is more athletic and can battle the ball. He rarely plays as the lone 6 and will typically have 3 CB’s covering. 

He’s ready he just needs a run of games without fans getting on his case, it’s just quite unfortunate that it’s come at arguably our most important point of the season.

However with the options of giving Tim a go, or trying to shift the team about by moving Luiz, or gambling on Tielemans or Chambers as a DM, I’m keen to hand the reigns to Tim and let him have a go.

The pros are he potentially improves given game time, and saves the clubs millions on a backup DM.

The cons are he potentially isn’t good enough as a DM… which could be the case with Luiz, Tielemans or Chambers.

Edited by wilko154

He was handed a start at Ajax away and then came in instead of Chambers.

Little doubt in my mind that it's going to be Tim's shirt to earn.

Hope he impresses in the next few games, but if he doesn't that doesn't mean he should be written off, it doesn't work like that with youngsters, they need a run of games in most cases before we see the best of them

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

If Emery didn't think he was ready, he would have been loaned out and we would have kept Dendoncker.  

100%

Let’s give Tim our support. He’s got the talent, just needs to find his feet and build confidence. 

• Like 2

“Dendoncker and Tim have the same characteristics of Kamara,” Emery said. “For different circumstances, they are playing less than I wanted, because Tim was injured during pre-season. He came back in October. I am working with Tim and I believe in him and I want to progress with him in every practice. We have to support him to play with the same structure we have when Kamara is not available. ”

Some have said Tim is more of an 8, but this quote from Unai suggests he sees him as a direct replacement/competition for Kamara.  We know Unai has good talent ID, he clearly has seen something in him, he could turn him into a solid Prem midfielder.

The only way, we will find out, is give him a run.

so many young players have been discovered this way, (after first teamers injuries)....when all and sundry are unsure.

They need to be let loose.

I just hope the crowd, stay with him, if he has a few wobbles.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

The majority of players careers are built on getting a chance through circumstance. I look forward to seeing if Tim has what it takes.

If we're not giving players like Tim the chance to shine we might aswell just rebrand to Aston Villa Hollywood and move the team to America.

Â