Finn Azaz

villalad21

On 21/01/2023 at 18:31, theboyangel said:

He is adored down here in Plymouth! 

a really successful loan. 

He was admired at Newport County too, and sure is missed!

Edited by Tubby
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Have a feeling he will make it here which is strange as from our youth he he has the least connection to us. Not sure if has played for Villa at any level before

I do wonder whether, at 22 y/o, his chance might have gone. I would want to see him in the Championship, or possibly a Prem loan first. Similar to Archer really.

16 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I do wonder whether, at 22 y/o, his chance might have gone. I would want to see him in the Championship, or possibly a Prem loan first. Similar to Archer really.

Ollie Watkins was playing in League 2 at age of 22. Had never played higher than that. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Ollie Watkins was playing in League 2 at age of 22. Had never played higher than that. 

Minor nitpick but if wikipedia is to be believed, he would’ve turned 22 on 30 December 2017. He had joined Brentford in the championship 6 months earlier.

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Minor nitpick but if wikipedia is to be believed, he would’ve turned 22 on 30 December 2017. He had joined Brentford in the championship 6 months earlier.

My point being players can develop at different times. I'd be hopeful at 22 they would be playing in Championship though. The majority of our young players will not make it at Villa but will provide transfer income to the club and overall that helps the club move forward

Tbh, considering his form in league 2 last year, to the point of winning the league 2 young player of the year award, I was a bit surprised we only got him a league 1 move this season. Yeah jumping 2 leagues up is a bit much, but consider Azaz’s age, we might’ve needed to throw him into the deep end more with him.

And its not like we’ve been shy about moving some of our other players quickly up the leagues, even when they weren’t as successful for as long as Azaz had been. Jacob Ramsey went from half a season in league 1 to the PL. Kesler took 1 year to go from league 2 to the championship. Archer went from an okay loan in the national league straight to the championship, etc.

It does strike me as our academy setup just never rated his potential much as our other youngsters but he keeps proving them wrong.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Have a feeling he will make it here which is strange as from our youth he he has the least connection to us. Not sure if has played for Villa at any level before

5 hours ago, Tubby said:

Dewsbury Hall was 22 when he broke through at Leicester in the PL. He'd been at the club 8 years and not played a game for the first team before that season. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Dewsbury Hall was 22 when he broke through at Leicester in the PL. He'd been at the club 8 years and not played a game for the first team before that season. 

Dewsbury-Hall had a successful spell with Luton in the championship the season before he broke through with Leicester though.

Unless we decide he's good enough to be with our first team(unlikely), Azaz will probably be given a season-long loan in the Championship next season. If he manages to perform there as well, he'd practically be 24 by the time he'd be seriously considered as part of our first team. That's pretty damn late but it shouldn't be an issue if he is indeed good enough. But there will be no room for mistakes from him.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

There was also another lad I recall that only moved to England aged 22 to join Manchester United from St Patricks Athletic.

Moved to Aston Villa aged 29 and did OK for himself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, dubliner said:

There was also another lad I recall that only moved to England aged 22 to join Manchester United from St Patricks Athletic.

Moved to Aston Villa aged 29 and did OK for himself. 

Whilst possibly the understatement of the year, it was a different era.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They both score goals and get assists, but whereas in general play Hourihane doesn't standout too much, other than working hard and keeping it simple, Azaz stands out much more, he's more of a creative and skilful No.10 but also has an hard working side which prevents him from being a luxury player.

Although of course am talking relative to the leagues in which they play in, not saying that Azaz is the better player, Hourihane obviously proven at an higher level and is brilliant at what he's good at, just that Azaz a different type of attacking midfielder to Hourihane, or at least from what I've seen and descriptions I've read.

There might be a chance to watch him play tonight as Plymouth face Cheltenham in the semi-final of the League Trophy and it's being shown on Sky, a chance for him to give himself a chance of playing at Wembley, would be some season for him and Tyreik Wright if they can achieve that maybe win the final and get promoted.

• Like 3

On 23/01/2023 at 13:06, Laughable Chimp said:

Dewsbury-Hall had a successful spell with Luton in the championship the season before he broke through with Leicester though.

Unless we decide he's good enough to be with our first team(unlikely), Azaz will probably be given a season-long loan in the Championship next season. If he manages to perform there as well, he'd practically be 24 by the time he'd be seriously considered as part of our first team. That's pretty damn late but it shouldn't be an issue if he is indeed good enough. But there will be no room for mistakes from him.

That does not seem to be particularly old if he was good enough.

He's loved by the fans and playing really well at a good club with good tactics and good coaches. 

For me, we need to sign him up on a better deal, longer contract and send him straight back to Plymouth next season if they've made the championship. I'm sure they'd want to keep hold of him and his affinity with the fans this season would mean there would be more patience with him if he struggles to make the step up. 

Â