Finn Azaz

villalad21

He was a free transfer as had just been released by West Brom, so £200k plus a sell on fee would be a good return and could be reinvested in the academy.

Maybe we could get closer to £500k, but I think we would accept a lower fee in return for a bigger sell-on-clause, or maybe even a buy back clause, I guess that would depend on how confident we are on him doing well in the Championship, if we think he has a chance, would make sense to accept a lower fee now in return for a bigger reward later, because if he has a good season in Championship could be worth millions.

When we sold Tyreik Wright to them we let them have him for free, but on the condition that we were allowed to have a sell on clause, I can see us doing something similar with Azaz. albeit not quite letting them have him for free.

I'd be surprised if Plymouth spent more than £1m on Azaz.

They're building well and recruiting young promising players and have put some interesting schemes in place to generate funding but that would be a huge transfer for them.

I was genuinely surprised they set a new transfer record last week by spending £1m.on Whittaker. They've not been in the Championship for 13 years and were almost bankrupt since then and historically sign players on a free.

Whilst Finn did great for them, he also started a lot of games on the bench so I doubt they'd spend that much on him.

I reckon a few hundred thousand, maybe a bit more if they avoid relegation and a solid sell on fee.

13 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Plymouth have signed Bali Mumba from Norwich for "more than £1M" who was on loan there last season. If they've paid that for 2 other players I don't see why we can't demand that for Azaz too.

You'd imagine Monchi has been telling them the same thing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Plymouth have signed Bali Mumba from Norwich for "more than £1M" who was on loan there last season. If they've paid that for 2 other players I don't see why we can't demand that for Azaz too.

They're spending more than I thought they would based off history. 

Mumba was a key player for them though starting nearly every game, whereas a third of Finn's appearances were from the bench. 

I think they'll buy him but for less than £1m.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

They're spending more than I thought they would based off history. 

Mumba was a key player for them though starting nearly every game, whereas a third of Finn's appearances were from the bench. 

I think they'll buy him but for less than £1m.

Might be able to get more elsewhere, though.

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Might be able to get more elsewhere, though.

Based off his form pre-injury, then yeah I reckon we could.

However, his form after the injury just wasn't the same and that's why he became a squad player for them. That might put people off spending a lot on him.

He also doesn't have that much longer left on his contract. 

I think he'll go to Argyle but for a reasonable amount with additional clauses built in. 

Realistically, £500k doesn't make a huge difference to us now (weekly wages for a handful of players) but for League One/Championship clubs it's a huge amount. 

12 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Based off his form pre-injury, then yeah I reckon we could.

However, his form after the injury just wasn't the same and that's why he became a squad player for them. That might put people off spending a lot on him.

He also doesn't have that much longer left on his contract. 

I think he'll go to Argyle but for a reasonable amount with additional clauses built in. 

Realistically, £500k doesn't make a huge difference to us now (weekly wages for a handful of players) but for League One/Championship clubs it's a huge amount. 

All things considered, I don't think it'd really put anyone off. It's not like he was out for a year with an ACL or something like that.

I agree that the fee doesn't really matter all that much, but I get the impression that Monchi will want every club to take us more seriously and will work hard to get decent fees for lesser players we offload because that's not something we've managed to do. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

All things considered, I don't think it'd really put anyone off. It's not like he was out for a year with an ACL or something like that.

I agree that the fee doesn't really matter all that much, but I get the impression that Monchi will want every club to take us more seriously and will work hard to get decent fees for lesser players we offload because that's not something we've managed to do. 

While we'll want good fees for any of our player's, we also want to be seen as a club that doesn't block young players from moving on as this'll potentially hurt our chances if signing them in the first place.

We seem to have a good relationship with Argyle at the moment and would be daft to harm that over a small amount to us.

We also run the risk of his contract expiring if we play too hardball.

They might spend £1m on him, I'd just be surprised if they did.

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

While we'll want good fees for any of our player's, we also want to be seen as a club that doesn't block young players from moving on as this'll potentially hurt our chances if signing them in the first place.

We seem to have a good relationship with Argyle at the moment and would be daft to harm that over a small amount to us.

We also run the risk of his contract expiring if we play too hardball.

They might spend £1m on him, I'd just be surprised if they did.

I see your point - I think that we'll just try and toe a line between the two. Having the player's interests at heart while not being a soft touch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some suggestion he failed a medical at Argyle. Not sure if it’s scuppered the whole deal or if it’ll be assessed again in a few weeks.

He had a nasty injury at the beginning of the year but did feature towards the run in. Hopefully it won’t be enough to stop the signing from being completed. 

I think he will probably sign for The Pilgrims before the week is over, there are all kinds of rumours as The Green army look for answers as to why he hasn't signed for their team yet, but it's probably just the clubs haggling over the structure of the transfer, I'm sure they will want it done before season starts and we will hear something in the coming days.

• Like 2

Â