Finn Azaz

villalad21

39 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

That does not seem to be particularly old if he was good enough.

If he’s good enough, of course it doesn’t matter how old he is. The problem is we don’t know if he is good enough. And the problem with his age is that if he isn’t good enough, its much less likely that he will develop into a players that could be good enough in the future.

Lets say Azaz gets a loan next season in the championship and he fails to impress. Do we cut our losses on him then? Well the club is far more likely to do that compared to if he was only say 19 years of age. The odds of a 24 year old player suddenly improving from not being good enough for the championship to being good enough for a pl club like us just isn’t very high. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

On 23/01/2023 at 13:08, dubliner said:

There was also another lad I recall that only moved to England aged 22 to join Manchester United from St Patricks Athletic.

Moved to Aston Villa aged 29 and did OK for himself. 

To the point, he probably played the best football of his career.

• Like 1

I didn't see much of the game and missed the last twenty minutes completely, but from what I did see he had a relatively quiet game, nearly scored and could have had a few assists though, maybe he did more in the moments I didn't see. I see he missed his penalty in the shoot-out as well.

Plymouth made a lot of changes left out a lot of their better players which maybe evened things up a little.

Still good that they're through and a chance hopefully for him to play at Wembely

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Booked tickets to see Argyle at the Papa John's final.

Hopefully Azaz has a stormer and helps them to lift the cup.

How many Janners do you reckon will be going?  Curious to their potential 🤔

28 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Put it this way.

Argyle were given 40,000 tickets. 

I have priority ticketing after season ticket holders only (they were allowed to buy multiple tickets).

Best seats we could get were category 5 out of 6 and we're sat in the top tier. 

I'd guess 30-35k tickets already sold before going on general sale.

I grew up in Devon so like to keep an eye on the club. I saw them take over 1000 fans to a Tuesday night game in Crewe which is great for League One. 

Stadium is 16.5k capacity. 

Genuinely think they are one of the biggest clubs (potential wise) outside the top flight in terms of support and catchment area and probably the biggest to have never been top flight. Looking likely they'll be promoted to the Championship this season.

My cousin's dating one of their players and although he's played for several League One clubs at point, she was saying Argyle feels like the "biggest" club he's been at - apparently there's quite a strong following in the local area and quite a lot of devoted fans. I guess it must be a one club town round there.

Plus in general it just sounds like a nice club to play for (not too many bellends around apparently). So probably quite a good environment to send players on loan to!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

My cousin's dating one of their players and although he's played for several League One clubs at point, she was saying Argyle feels like the "biggest" club he's been at - apparently there's quite a strong following in the local area and quite a lot of devoted fans. I guess it must be a one club town round there.

Plus in general it just sounds like a nice club to play for (not too many bellends around apparently). So probably quite a good environment to send players on loan to!

Exeter is probably their biggest competition but that's still 40 odd miles away. They then have Yeovil and Tiverton etc so not much competition. Probably the biggest club South West of Bristol.

Of fans who would support local clubs (a lot of top flight fans down there) they can probably claim all of Cornwall, maybe 2/3 of Devon and maybe bits of Somerset and Dorset. So maybe between 500k and 1m potential fans.

Biggest selling point would be the economic expats as a lot of people move up country for work.

Does seem to be a buzz around them at the moment, they're doing well, investing in the squad and infrastructure. 

There's probably people on here closer to them then me though.

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Most teams like to claim their fans are one big family but for them it's true.

You saying they are all inbred? 😜 

I hope they get promoted will be interesting how they do in The Championship.

Would be good to see how Azaz does too at that level in a settled team that he knows.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

You saying they are all inbred? 😜 

I hope they get promoted will be interesting how they do in The Championship.

Would be good to see how Azaz does too at that level in a settled team that he knows.

Haha, got some family down there so can't resist a cheap shot.

Yeah, would be great to see them come up and Azaz to go back for another season. Can't be easy hopping around teams in loan spells.

• 4 weeks later...
Â