Finn Azaz

villalad21

We signed Azaz on a free and he would have cost very little in wages, over the course of his two loans he's developed into a player that will almost certainly be playing in the Championship next season, and not just because Plymouth have been promoted, if they don't sign him some other Championship team likely will, and he's probably not far off a senior Ireland call up either, in other words we've gained an asset of value from virtually nothing, that can be sold and the money put back into the academy.

The question now is what happens next, if we sell him now probably won't get much, whereas if he was to have a good season in the Championship, he could suddenly be worth three or four million, would be a shame to come as far as we've come with him only to lose him just before his value can really soar, so I think either need to give him a contract extension and loan him out again with a view to selling him next summer, hopefully for more than we would get now, or sell him this summer but make sure that there's a sell on clause heavily stacked in our favor, but for a club to accept such a clause we would probably have to accept a lower initial transfer fee.

Essentially it will come down to how good we think he can do in the Championship, it might be that we just decide to get as much as we can this summer, but if we think he will continue on the same trajectory he's been on then will make sense to work something out whereby we can benefit if he does do well in the Championship.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, useless said:

We signed Azaz on a free and he would have cost very little in wages, over the course of his two loans he's developed into a player that will almost certainly be playing in the Championship next season, and not just because Plymouth have been promoted, if they don't sign him some other Championship team likely will, and he's probably not far off a senior Ireland call up either, in other words we've gained an asset of value from virtually nothing, that can be sold and the money put back into the academy.

The question now is what happens next, if we sell him now probably won't get much, whereas if he was to have a good season in the Championship, he could suddenly be worth three or four million, would be a shame to come as far as we've come with him only to lose him just before his value can really soar, so I think either need to give him a contract extension and loan him out again with a view to selling him next summer, hopefully for more than we would get now, or sell him this summer but make sure that there's a sell on clause heavily stacked in our favor, but for a club to accept such a clause we would probably have to accept a lower initial transfer fee.

Essentially it will come down to how good we think he can do in the Championship, it might be that we just decide to get as much as we can this summer, but if we think he will continue on the same trajectory he's been on then will make sense to work something out whereby we can benefit if he does do well in the Championship.

I thought his contract was up?

On 16/05/2023 at 22:00, OutByEaster? said:

Actually, thinking about it, did he play a pre-season game for us?

EDIT: He did - he played 45 minutes against Walsall last summer - I take it back, he must have done some work at Bodymoor at some point.

Yeah he looked pretty decent too but then we know he can cut it against that level of opponent. Will be interesting to see what happens to him. 

According to Azaz himself in video interview he did for Plymouth website he's still got one year left on his Villa deal. We wouldn't have loaned him out last season if that was the last year of his contract, we at least would have had the option of another year.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I doubt he is going to become anything at this football club.

Probably best selling him this summer or loan him again and let him leave on a free next season.

Can see this happening, he won’t make it here. Probably back to Plymouth on a free with them owing 25% of any future fee.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Big rumours down here in the South West that Azaz is back in Plymouth finalising a permanent deal with Argyle.

Great signing for Plymouth if it happens.

I imagine it’ll be a nominal fee with add-ons and a sell on clause. 

I think that's best for all parties. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Big rumours down here in the South West that Azaz is back in Plymouth finalising a permanent deal with Argyle.

Hope that's true.  He's been class on loan wherever he's gone but obviously not going to get a real chance here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Wonder if it will be a fairly low fee, with a sizeable sell on percentage?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I think it will be low, I saw on sky sports the other day that Plymouth’s record signing was 1 million 

Yeah that was only the other day. Double their previous record. Hopefully we can get something similar and a sell on.

Can see this being around 1.5 million plus 25% sell on. Whittaker was on loan to Plymouth last season, and just like azaz, was key to them getting promoted. 

If we don't extend his contract, he is off and will wish him well. Kessler is already on loan at Plymouth for this season and exeter have signed sinisalo for the season, so at least there will be a bit of Villa down here in Devon.

I doubt we will get anywhere near £1m, more likely a couple hundred thousand and a sell on clause, which will be a good return.

Whittaker is different as he had longer left on his contract, would have been a lot closer to Swansea's first team than Azaz would be to our first team, so they require more compensation to replace him, whereas we don't really need to replace Azaz, plus Whittaker also already has Championship experience which will have been factored into the fee that they paid.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, useless said:

I doubt we will get anywhere near £1m, more likely a couple hundred thousand and a sell on clause, which will be a good return.

Whittaker is different as he had longer left on his contract, would have been a lot closer to Swansea's first team than Azaz would be to our first team, so they require more compensation to replace him, whereas we don't really need to replace Azaz, plus Whittaker also already has Championship experience which will have been factored into the fee that they paid.

Is it a good return? Didn’t we pay £1M for him or something like that?

Â