Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We really, really, reeeeaaaallllly do need to break that mentality…

We need to get away from the small club mentality and realise that to improve and achieve success, we need to and can sign and target a higher calibre of player… we’re capable of that…

We need to make that breakthrough for all involved and it would also mean that we are taken more seriously as a genuine competitor/challenger and as a big club again…

Someone actually said “he’s too good for us” today… I despair… it’s not like he’s an elite player (yet) worth/valued at over £80m or so…

People would actually settle for a Winks or a Cantwell 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

While I think it’s a trait within the fan base, understandable given what we’ve witnessed over the recent past, I don’t think  it’s a problem that the board and the top decision makers have. They thankfully don’t carry the same scars. NSWE have largely known only success,  recreating that with Aston Villa won’t be anything but an achievable target for them and they bring with them the means to do it. It’s not a question of “if”, but only, “when” for them. 

8 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Juat watched the Villa view and had to turn it off due to that div Dolan. Not the most charismatic and equally not the most knowledgeable based on the crap he was spouting. 

He’s why I stopped listening too. Still have a lot of time for Dan Bardell but Dolan is right up his own arse and I wasn’t enjoying it so stopped.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Looking at first few pages just now and interesting the reaction. Not people saying he's a cracking player which is good to see but more "I'd be amazed if this comes off" "Too good to be true" vibes.

Why?

Does seem an undercurrent of we're not worthy enough to sign these top level players compared to fans of other clubs who constantly demand top level players from CL teams.

Yes Leverkusen are better than us but their whole business model is to scout across the world very well, sign players for a couple of million and then sell them for three or four times that amount after a few seasons. They obviously did it very well with Havertz and Berbatov to Spurs was another example about 15 years ago.

In last five years Leicester have signed Tielemans just after Monaco have won french league, West Ham with Felipe Anderson when Lazio were playing CL and Newcastle signed Saint Maximn from Nice who made europa league so all examples there of clubs signing players from better performing clubs from abroad. Robinho to Man. City another obvious example.

Feels like we need this sort of signing to break that sort of mentality in the fanbase. Of course we need to keep signing players with potential which served us well over last two years but too many and we'll always be 2/3 years away from finishing top 6 imo. Signing likes of Leon Bailey gets us there much much more quickly.

Our fanbase seems to be that way. There are those that think we are incapable of signing top players - I think there was one comment yesterday which said someone had watched Bailey and thought he was too good for us 🤦‍♂️ while supporting the average players we've been linked with like Winks and Cantwell who in all honesty won't really improve us. 

We're at a stage now where we have to be pushing for players like Bailey if we want to bridge that gap to top 6. It's not like we're trying to sign Messi. Bailey is good, very good even, but as you've mentioned lots of teams in this league have signed players from teams in European leagues where you could argue the player was too good for them. When Leicester signed Tielemans I was amazed as I thought someone like City would be interested in him. If a club is ambitious they have to attract these type of signings otherwise they just stand still or make very minimal progress. And we're in that bracket.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hope we try and get this one sorted quickly, I imagine a few other clubs are now looking into Bailey as well with the knowledge that 30 million is a bit of a steal.

He would be a very exciting signing for us, almost in the mould of Ashley Young back in the MON era.

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Our fanbase seems to be that way. There are those that think we are incapable of signing top players - I think there was one comment yesterday which said someone had watched Bailey and thought he was too good for us 🤦‍♂️ while supporting the average players we've been linked with like Winks and Cantwell who in all honesty won't really improve us. 

We're at a stage now where we have to be pushing for players like Bailey if we want to bridge that gap to top 6. It's not like we're trying to sign Messi. Bailey is good, very good even, but as you've mentioned lots of teams in this league have signed players from teams in European leagues where you could argue the player was too good for them. When Leicester signed Tielemans I was amazed as I thought someone like City would be interested in him. If a club is ambitious they have to attract these type of signings otherwise they just stand still or make very minimal progress. And we're in that bracket.

Spot on, although I’m a little concerned that you don’t think we’re trying to sign Messi. 

That Percy tweet sounds pretty positive to me. Isn’t he saying we can have him if we want him and money isn’t an issue, but we’re biding our time - maybe there’s better options on our list?

Maybe there some aspect of him that the club aren’t happy with.

Nixon saying we have a few options - but that Bailey is 'more possible than others'

I got excited, and then realised that 'more possible than others' is twitter talk for 'I have no idea'

• Haha 1

Just now, Gillz said:

Nixon saying we have a few options - but that Bailey is 'more possible than others'

I got excited, and then realised that 'more possible than others' is twitter talk for 'I have no idea'

He used to be quite reliable but it seems he's not so much anymore. Regardless, hoping for some developments in the next few days, fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

It is better to have Leon and lost to have never Leon’d at all, plenty more fish on the sea, maybe a sprat to catch a carp

Oh no, not the fish puns again!! For God’s Hake! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Would be cool to sign another player similar level to Buendia and keep Grealish. I wonder if pundits will take notice of us then?

Hope not. They can carry on stroking off to the Scum 6.

• Like 1

Â