Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

19 minutes ago, Awol said:

Dolan on the villa view was told by a source before it broke in the media that this deal was on. 

Does he have access? Dunno, but if we’re looking at several players of his quality (as Dolan reports) in this window… wow. 

one of the former hosts of VillaView currently works for The Bundesliga 

Percy’s answer reads to me as just a vague guess because he doesn’t have info on this one but needs to cover himself whichever way it goes. Which is fine but I’m not taking it as good or bad news… just a sign that IF this has legs it’s a couple of weeks away at least.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Wow those “Sky sources” really are second to none! Breaking all the big stories first as usual.

Remember when sky sports news actually used to get news first?

No more. Well unless you count made up bollocks!

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

one of the former hosts of VillaView currently works for The Bundesliga 

I doubt it’s Tom Julian feeding info to  Chris ‘I make Yorkshiremen look cheerful’ Dolan, unless he’s fallen out with Dan? Besides Julian is working on PR/comms at Bundesliga level. 

Called for this signing earlier this summer so would be very happy if this is legitimate link.

Leverkusen will certainly sell if 25-30m bid is forthcoming as that's their whole business model.

Yes he's not quite reached the level people thought two years ago but 14 goals in Bundesliga and europa league is still a very good haul for wide player. He also hit 10 in 17/18 and scored v likes of Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig in recent seasons so got good mentality for the bigger games they play.

We need a rapid player for counter attack and one who's reasonably experienced in european competition so can't think of a better target in major euro leagues who's gettable. He also isn't 24 until August so pretty good age.

Get it done.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Looking at first few pages just now and interesting the reaction. Not people saying he's a cracking player which is good to see but more "I'd be amazed if this comes off" "Too good to be true" vibes.

Why?

Does seem an undercurrent of we're not worthy enough to sign these top level players compared to fans of other clubs who constantly demand top level players from CL teams.

Yes Leverkusen are better than us but their whole business model is to scout across the world very well, sign players for a couple of million and then sell them for three or four times that amount after a few seasons. They obviously did it very well with Havertz and Berbatov to Spurs was another example about 15 years ago.

In last five years Leicester have signed Tielemans just after Monaco have won french league, West Ham with Felipe Anderson when Lazio were playing CL and Newcastle signed Saint Maximn from Nice who made europa league so all examples there of clubs signing players from better performing clubs from abroad. Robinho to Man. City another obvious example.

Feels like we need this sort of signing to break that sort of mentality in the fanbase. Of course we need to keep signing players with potential which served us well over last two years but too many and we'll always be 2/3 years away from finishing top 6 imo. Signing likes of Leon Bailey gets us there much much more quickly.

We really, really, reeeeaaaallllly do need to break that mentality…

We need to get away from the small club mentality and realise that to improve and achieve success, we need to and can sign and target a higher calibre of player… we’re capable of that…

We need to make that breakthrough for all involved and it would also mean that we are taken more seriously as a genuine competitor/challenger and as a big club again…

Someone actually said “he’s too good for us” today… I despair… it’s not like he’s an elite player (yet) worth/valued at over £80m or so…

People would actually settle for a Winks or a Cantwell 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

I see Everton linked. Don't worry they're ballsed by FFP with the new stadium build ,hence the old freebies the waiter is signing. Not a chance they're in for him.

New stadium build wont have any bearing on FFP surely but I think they know they need to reign in their spending.

They thought they were getting Zaha and Bailey but are leaving with Townsend and Gray 😀. By all accounts ive seen a fair few of their fanbase jealous that we’re going in for Bailey (hopefully)

Â