Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

This has been a coverup 25 years in the making. Who gets more flack than a player missing the penalty in a semi final shootout? The players who miss one in the final. Thanks for taking the heat, Saka, Southgate is finally free :D 

Is Southgate a bad manager? No. His tactics are conservative, it's not the most entertaining viewing, but he knows how to handle those tactics. In the last two major tournaments, he's made a semi-final and a final. Name another England manager who's done that since 1966.

Tonight was a good example: I disagree with whoever said that 5 at the back was a bad idea tonight. It worked very well in the first half. He knew Italy likes to attack down the left, so he put Trippier over there. Sure enough, Italy went nowhere for the first 35-40 minutes. Meanwhile, having 5 at the back allowed Shaw freedom to go forward on the other wing, which led to the goal.

That doesn't mean that he can't make mistakes, and he made two:

1. Italy changed their tactics in the second half. He didn't adjust. Sure, it seemed like it was working for a while, but when you give the other side 70%+ of the ball, you're tempting fate.

2. I agree with everyone who said that sticking a 19 year old with the decisive penalty was a mistake. What did pretty much everyone say after Mbappé missed the crucial penalty against Switzerland? Too young to handle that kind of pressure. He's 22 instead of 19, he's more talented than Saka (sorry), and he has far more big-time experience than Saka. He still couldn't handle it. Very few 19 year olds can calm their nerves like someone 28 or 30 can.

Just now, turvontour said:

I really dont get this from people saying why should 19 year old Saka take a penalty. Age has no bearing on penalties. 

I dont agree, at the development age that he is even though he is playing regularly in the PL for Arsenal this is a massive impact, more so than a more mature footballer.  If he scores then great, but if he misses it does have psychological impact more so than an experienced player.  So it doesnt impact the penalty at the time but the longer term affects can be damaging.

Just now, nick76 said:

I dont agree, at the development age that he is even though he is playing regularly in the PL for Arsenal this is a massive impact, more so than a more mature footballer.  If he scores then great, but if he misses it does have psychological impact more so than an experienced player.  So it doesnt impact the penalty at the time but the longer term affects can be damaging.

Yep, that miss could stunt his career. You just need to think back to how good Scott Carson was for us on loan, and the shell of a player he turned into after his mistake against Croatia.

It's just irresponsible to throw young players in to pressure situations like that.

• Like 1

Saka shouldn't have been in the pitch to take a pen. He had a nightmare from the moment he came on. That should have been recognised and had him hooked before it came to pens.

• Like 2

Just now, Brumerican said:

I'm friendly with Maqroll but noted.

Sorry but if you know anything about twitter and the aftermath of a big game, then you know all the racists and trolls target the losing teams black players. So when 3 black players miss penalties in the Euros final, it is bound to be a s***show! Unfortunately it's just the current state of play. But you want to criticise when he made a comment that has proved 100 percent correct.

I find it insulting, because that is the the head in the sand behaviour that allows that crap to continue. People are free to say what they want, so long as their racism doesn't manifest in the physical. And yes the we show be thick skinned and ignore the idiots. But people with racist views are at the very least ignorant, and people that say the racist abuse isn't that bad, or deny it are ignorant at the very least also.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree. I'd also add though, that if your going to let the youngest players in a group take pens let them take them early. Taking 3,4 or 5 is opening them up to the unnecessary.  

• Like 1

Can't be arsed  to read everything that's been said because I'm slightly drunk. But I'm proud of our boys, it's the first time we've looked like a team that could win all the way through a tournament. 

Pens is a lottery and I've missed them in front of noone so in a euro final you can't criticise, their keeper is a beast.  

If we can be a team that routiely competes at this level we'll bring it home.eventually 👍

Dean Smith would win two of the next three major tournaments with England. (And he's got plenty of minor problems as a manager.)

Have a go at teams with this lot and we'll obliterate everyone.

• Like 2

Still can’t get my head around why Rashford went to the Euro’s. There were so many players ahead of him in the pecking order. Some of them, like Sancho and Grealish, barely played themselves.

JWP should have gone to give us more options in midfield and on set pieces.

But tonight was all about Southgate picking his favourites. Mount and Henderson especially, but Sterling was **** after 75 minutes and there was really no striker to bring on.

This tournament should be used as an example of how not to pick a balanced squad.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Dean Smith would win two of the next three major tournaments with England. (And he's got plenty of minor problems as a manager.)

Have a go at teams with this lot and we'll obliterate everyone.

Switch the managers today and England would have won.

• Like 2

Â