Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

Commiserations to the England fans on here. Brutal way to lose a football final. Got a very talented squad that's got lots of youth. I expect there will be more opportunities in major tournaments in the near future. Short turn around to the World Cup and all that.

Personally I'm just glad Jack didn't **** up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

We know that Mount is average , we know that Saka s a headless chicken , we know Sterling is greedy , we know Southgate is limited and scared of being attacking 

Yet we made a final , something I wasn’t sure I’d see.in my lifetime … yeah I I’m disappointed and Southgate tried to pull one Homer to many , but  tonight isn’t the night to hang Southgate out to dry , he got just about every decision right in this tournament until tonight , and he will learn from it , of that I’m sure 

In hindsight  sending the Dothraki in first whilst 2 dragons play special teams in the clouds wasn't the best use of our resources.

Next time just all in with the dragons.

• Like 1

I actually didn't think Italy were the better team on the night. Much better second half, but on rhe whole I think it was pretty even. Just a huge missed opportunity for England to turn the blade after they scored. 

My standout performer for England in the tournament is Luke Shaw. Hardly put a foot wrong. 

Lessons learned for all involved, you'd think. Good experience to build on for the World Cup. A more aggressive manager in charge of these players will get England deep into the WC. Who will be that manager?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I actually didn't think Italy were the better team on the night. Much better second half, but on rhe whole I think it was pretty even. Just a huge missed opportunity for England to turn the blade after they scored. 

My standout performer for England in the tournament is Luke Shaw. Hardly put a foot wrong. 

Lessons learned for all involved, you'd think. Good experience to build on for the World Cup. A more aggressive manager in charge of these players will get England deep into the WC. Who will be that manager?

Thought Shaw had one of his weaker games last night, despite the goal.

The manager will obviously be Southgate. Maybe he will be more positive/attacking/aggressive in the next tournament, we will see, but there's no doubt the manager will still be Gareth.

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

We know that Mount is average , we know that Saka s a headless chicken , we know Sterling is greedy , we know Southgate is limited and scared of being attacking 

Yet we made a final , something I wasn’t sure I’d see.in my lifetime … yeah I I’m disappointed and Southgate tried to pull one Homer to many , but  tonight isn’t the night to hang Southgate out to dry , he got just about every decision right in this tournament until tonight , and he will learn from it , of that I’m sure 

I disagree, I don’t think he got every decision right at all, he got the results which let’s be fair, any of us here couldve probably also got.

I actually think he got 65% of decisions completely wrong.

Is he a good England Manager… maybe, he is very good at some aspects, but tactics and picking the best team is not his best attribute. 

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

This

Well more or less.

Agree with Luke Shaw

For me ... moving forward the question is what did Southgate learn from this tournament? I don't get a sense he learned much from the individual matches.

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I think the only game he got things absolutely right was against Germany. I thought we were a bit lucky against Denmark but after that game we won and made the final. I thought he got almost everything wrong in the final, I was happy that Shaw scored but I instantly thought it’s too early he is going to try and defend this now. 

I thought his subs were poor, saka was a lazy choice because of a couple of ok performances but last nights performance I thought was so woeful he looked like a completion winner. Rice going off made no sense unless he was injured. Mount I thought was anonymous for the whole game (and the semi final) and Jack should have been on at least half hour earlier. Lastly and this isn’t hindsight I said to my wife I hate it when managers bring on players just to take penalties because it almost never works.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Or is there just more social media ?   

Just turned the tellybox on and the first story was about racist abuse directed at the penalty missers and there is also a main story on the BBC website. 

@maqroll was on the money.  It's not nice and it's a disgrace, but it's a cast iron fact, there is a heinous group of people in the world and they are indeed out in force. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

I’m finding it laughable that there is a selection of fans and media genuinely criticising Grealish for not taking one of the 5 pens. Southgate picked the takers… what is Grealish to do, overrule the manager and take one given the amount of clear support Southgate has given him this tournament. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Just turned the tellybox on and the first story was about racist abuse directed at the penalty missers and there is also a main story on the BBC website. 

The OP was on the money.  It's not nice and it's a disgrace, but it's a cast iron fact, there is a heinous group of people in the world and they are indeed out in force. 

I completely agree. Just thought the timing was weird as hell.  I'm also always skeptical about the "out in force" aspect as you can never tell who are real people , where they are in the world or what their agenda is ?   There are racists for sure but I'm always suspicious when online anonymity is involved.   

Regardless they are still vermin.

5 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Roy Keane plays Roy Keane on TV for an hour or two a week. He knows it . We know it . He knows we know. 

He's really good at it.

And yeah you can tell deep down he knows how good Jack is. 

Saka is probably a better penalty taker than Grealish, hence why he stepped up to take his penalty before. He didn’t have to take the 5th one though. That was a massive mistake and put so much pressure on Saka.

Keane is a dickhead

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

did Mason Mount even play in the tournament, absolute anonymous in the tournament yet Southgate continued with him. 

I was ranting about this, absolute nothing player I don't remember a single positive action caused by him

Just seen the footage of Southgate with his arms around Sako whispering in his ear. 

I expect he's just telling him about the lucrative advertising opportunities available to him. 

• Like 1

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

I was ranting about this, absolute nothing player I don't remember a single positive action caused by him

Did nothing in the run up to the game last night to deserve the spot, then gets played out of position just to get him in there despite there being 2 better right wingers on the bench, only to then have him popping up on the left hand side for most of the game whilst he put sterling in a free role despite having 2 better left wingers on the bench and 1 better player for the free role

Come On Reaction GIF

It was the worst decision he made all tournament 

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Saka is probably a better penalty taker than Grealish, hence why he stepped up to take his penalty before. He didn’t have to take the 5th one though. That was a massive mistake and put so much pressure on Saka.

Keane is a dickhead

Im surprised the ego didn't go last to try win the tournament and let Saka go first 

Â