Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

There are many, many things that can be said of that game, but for me, Italy's ability to stay on and with the ball was better than us, they showed more aggression off the ball and played their way back in to the game, we just retreated and defended deeper.

possession does not win games on its own, but it lays a foundation for other things and our 34% was not working for us....most of the little richochets in duels they was coming away with the ball, they won many second balls and the bits of scrappy stuff.....eventually it wears you down.

The corner was a poor goal to concede, 2 headers we failed to connect with.

I thought Jack should have come on earlier,too, but having said that, they don't play the ball to Jack in the right manner.....Sterling particularly, rarely passes back to Jack when jack plays the ball to him and then runs in to space...he just turns his back and does his own thing ( imagine Jack playing with him at city, he would never see the ball)

England don't play with Jack to get the best from him.

Italy deserve a lot of credit, particularly winning so much possession away from Home.

Our lads did well overall, just came up a bit short, when it mattered.......but no disgrace.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

People will denounce the stutter step penalties, but it shouldn't have come to penalties. England were bossing the game after the opening goal and could've put the game to bed if they just kept turning the screws.

Bringing  on Henderson was basically laying out a welcome mat for the Italians to seize the initiative because England weren't going for it at that point. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Still can’t get my head around why Rashford went to the Euro’s. There were so many players ahead of him in the pecking order. Some of them, like Sancho and Grealish, barely played themselves.

JWP should have gone to give us more options in midfield and on set pieces.

But tonight was all about Southgate picking his favourites. Mount and Henderson especially, but Sterling was **** after 75 minutes and there was really no striker to bring on.

This tournament should be used as an example of how not to pick a balanced squad.

Ollie Watkins would have been outstanding if given the chance.

Slightly reminiscent of the way Wales went out, in that both times the home nation started brilliantly but then the manager failed to react to the tactical switch from the opposition and relied on the original system to keep working/start working again.

42 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

My player of the tournament was Pickford, played way above his ability.

Pickford is usually good for England in fairness, it's at club level where he chucks a couple in a season so completely different to what England have had in goal last 20 years.

Thought Maguire was overall best player once he got back in the team.

England fell short despite only conceding from one free kick and corner kick in 7 games. No move from normal play was good enough to cut through England and beat Pickford so even if keeper and defence was protected they couldn't do much more than that realistically.

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Englands biggest mistake was scoring so early, sounds stupid but true. A top team go for the throat but England allowed Italy to play themselves into the game because of Southgate tactics

Haven't you heard that big nose clearing in the woods is the second coming of Jesus? 

I have been saying it all tournament he is a crap manager who is only there because he is the FA's joey, watch him get a new contract.

He has no idea how to set up a midfield/attack, which is criminal with the options we have.

Just look at the formation today, the subs he used and didn't use and when. Southgate lost the game today not the players.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Roy Keane trying to stick the knife in on Jack and Sterling.

A genuinely terrible human being and half the player Vieira was to boot.

Keane is one of Grealish biggest fans in the media, only probably Sherwood likes him more

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

huh

Racist abuse of England players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho & Bukayo Saka condemned by FA

'The Football Association has condemned racist abuse aimed at England players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka after Sunday's Euro 2020 final defeat by Italy.

All three players missed penalties in the 3-2 shootout loss and were targeted on social media after the game.

The FA said it was "appalled" by the abuse.

England's players have taken the knee before games at the Euros to highlight the fight against racial inequality.

"We could not be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behaviour is not welcome in following the team," said the FA in a statement.

"We will do all we can to support the players affected while urging the toughest punishments possible for anyone responsible.

"We will continue to do everything we can to stamp discrimination out of the game, but we implore government to act quickly and bring in the appropriate legislation so this abuse has real life consequences.'

Didn't take long to prove @maqroll right did it.

FWIW (Serious hat on now ) This was always going to be the outcome . I was just a bit glum that Maqroll pre-empted it before the body was cold if you  understand where I'm coming from.  

It's worth bearing in mind though that things like twitter are overwhelmed with anonymous accounts who could be posting from anywhere on Earth.  Disinformation is a tried and tested military tactic and for good reason. It works.  I'm sure some comments are genuinely pissed off racist English fans but I think that number would be tiny compared to the amplified social media narrative.

Regardless the whole thing is depressing . Everyone is made of a vibrating energy field FFS.

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Keane is one of Grealish biggest fans in the media, only probably Sherwood likes him more

Doesn’t make him a nice man or better than Vieira.

It also looked quite clear that Jack’s slot had been determined beforehand so why jump on him?

Roy Keane plays Roy Keane on TV for an hour or two a week. He knows it . We know it . He knows we know. 

He's really good at it.

And yeah you can tell deep down he knows how good Jack is. 

• Like 3

Â