James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

JWP gives us so much. A good age, leader, goals direct from free kicks and brilliant dead ball delivery! Everything we are missing! 

GET IT DONE!!! 

Apart from his free kicks, what does he offer beyond our existing midfielders?

Just now, Jas10 said:

Nothing except world class set pieces. We need a better ball winner. I can't forget those games like Burnley and Palace where it was just ran straight through. 

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

No we need a squad. Smith said himself it’s now about adding quality numbers

Yeah but he also said we can’t stockpile players, there’s a limit to how many players we can carry for each position.

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

No we need a squad. Smith said himself it’s now about adding quality numbers

It's pretty much the only position we already got quality in depth.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

We've lost Barkley and are probably going to lose Hourihane. And if we sign another midfielder there's nothing to stop us selling one we already have, somthing we're going to have get used to as our squad improves. The better teams sell good players all the time because they're able to replace them with better players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

But what if we sign JWP and Bissouma or Anguissa or Ruben Loftus Cheek?

Like Berg more

Bissouma wants Arsenal move, don’t rate Ruben Loftus Cheek and don’t know much about Anguissa tbh...all imo

• Like 1

Can't believe this is possible.

Feels like him signing would mean a move permanently to 4231.

Can't see that with Smith, he's always trying to get back to 433.

I'd prefer a holding midfielder if we're chucking £50m about to be honest.

37 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He put on a tidy showcase today?

Looked an improvement on Luiz today, but very similar to Luiz, maybe too similar. I think McGinn has been poor bar two showings, for 18 months.

19 minutes ago, Vincenzo said:

Like Berg more

Bissouma wants Arsenal move, don’t rate Ruben Loftus Cheek and don’t know much about Anguissa tbh...all imo

I’m the same with Berg, don’t know enough about him. Think I would prefer Anguissa and sure he would cost less. But this comes from a position of ignorance 😉

I'd love if we landed this fella. Great age. Played a lot of top flight football. Sure, Hourihane had a great free kick in him but not really PL quality from general play. Ward - Proswe is. Never hear of him in the news, any scandal. He would be a constant fixture in our midfield.

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Like 2

I think we already have done the enquiring with clubs about players. When the links emerge it's usually that the player is available. Quite easy for the club to check with the other club and the players agent if there is any way a deal is possible this summer. If we're told no by both then they don't even make our shortlist. I fully believe the shortlist of players the club build for summer targets they've already done the checks on if they are available. Sometimes the price is too much ala Josh King, sometimes the player goes elsewhere like Callum Wilson. But you never see us go for a player where the club says he's not for sale at any price. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Ward-Prowse

Sanson      McGinn

Buendia                  Grealish

Watkins

Would guarantee European football.

This is where I’m at, mate. That’s a helluva team. You’ve got some serious stamina in the middle and some genuine quality in the wide-ish positions. 

The only concern is pace, but it’s still a top 8/6 team. 

• Like 2

People saying he offers no more than what we’ve already got, apart from set pieces are missing a very big point.

Set pieces make up a significant amount of goals scored, if done properly. I read a report that basically said the difference between being good at set pieces or not can be significant. The average team scores 0.3 goals from set pieces per game, whereas the good set piece teams have figures as high as 0.8 goals per game. In monetary terms that can translate into the equivalent of buying an £80m striker! 

As we’re now so stat driven, I doubt that will be lost on the powers that be. 

I’d also say from the relatively small amount I know about JWP, he’s a hard working player and their club captain. Two attributes valued by Dean and Co. He also takes penalties. Ticks a lot of boxes for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure we bossed that 1st half and they got 2 worldie free kicks and a sloppy set piece goal

They bossed the first half we bossed the second half 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No chance. Barkley was basically a deep laying striker last season. He had no defensive responsibility and did what he wanted. JWP just isn't that player. 

Can easily be a replacement for Barkley if we play 8's and a 6 instead of two 6's and a 10. Smiths has stated his preference for two 8's and a 6. Buendia also plays off the right hand side.

Â