James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I've made my thoughts clear. The original article reads...

Author understands Villa are looking to sign midfielders. 

JWP is a good midfielder that scored a lot of free kicks.

You know I also thought that on first read but on review the opening sentence is very clear that we plan to put a bid in. And Doyle of all journos (as in my biased opinion the best Villa match report writer - doesn’t mean he has the best contacts of course and transfer rumours are not his thing, but he is at every game) has very little reason to just make it up. I think the rest of his article (to your post above) is saying “if it’s not JWP they want someone like that” but it’s a confident opening from a ‘real’ journalist not a rumourmonger.

But I agree with many of the posters on here that I can’t see it happening, I don’t think we will pay what they would want so our ‘set to make a bid’ will likely quickly become ‘have had a bid rejected’. As will happen with a number of targets we don’t even hear the original rumour about I’d guess.

53 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I posted a lot early thread then went to bed. Surprised more people aren't reading the initial article at face value and seeing there's no there there. Didn't take long after it broke for some journos to tweet Saints have not received any bids and he's not for sale in any case. 

Guardian generally don't post speculative pap and Paul Doyle is also the Midlands correspondent for them.

Not saying they'll sell.  FWIW I don't think they will. 

But if he's writing that we have an interest in the player I think it's a bit more than Grealish's recent comments + WP's dead ball stats = newspaper filler. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

Guardian generally don't post speculative pap and Paul Doyle is also the Midlands correspondent for them.

Not saying they'll sell.  FWIW I don't think they will. 

But if he's writing that we have an interest in the player I think it's a bit more than Grealish's recent comments + WP's dead ball stats = newspaper filler. 

I was saying to a mate the other week no other major sports league I can think of gets away with people touting baseless transfer rumours to level of UK football

https://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/sources/the_guardian

Edited by Kiwivillan

We really need some help on set pieces for sure and I think that he would bring some good leadership qualities that we were lacking at times as well.  However, I think at the end of the day, just think a small percentage that we will get him as I'm sure the Saints will want a pretty hefty sum for their captain.

Love though if this speculation is true is that Smith and company are thinking about addressing some aforementioned deficiencies.

If we are targeting him we are also after leaders which is a model I like - Grealish is our captain, Mings is a great leader, McGinn has captained Scotland… but I like bringing in captains.

JWP as well as Southampton captain of course was Grealish’s captain for the England U21s - including winning the Toulon tournament. Think they only played 7 games together but still good that they’ve had a decent amount of experience of each other’s game.

He seems a really good player with set-pieces on top. I'm sure I read he's a Southampton lad and fan though or has been there since he was little. 

Perhaps Southampton have stretched as far as they can as a club but would Villa be enough of a pull to make him move? Interesting. 

The pace, whip and bend on his crosses are class. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

He seems a really good player with set-pieces on top. I'm sure I read he's a Southampton lad and fan though or has been there since he was little. 

Perhaps Southampton have stretched as far as they can as a club but would Villa be enough of a pull to make him move? Interesting. 

The pace, whip and bend on his crosses are class. 

Someone posted earlier he and family are Portsmouth fans but he joined Southampton at young age. 

Is this a done deal then and I must admit iknowvwey little about this guy so I guess I'm going off what you guys know of him.

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Is this a done deal then

Ha not even close for my money. I’m a fan of the player, and I believe there is a chance we are interested, but I don’t think we have even put a bid in yet (the story itself just says we are preparing to do so).

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Ha not even close for my money. I’m a fan of the player, and I believe there is a chance we are interested, but I don’t think we have even put a bid in yet (the story itself just says we are preparing to do so).

I just seen on media that we had done two deals today and one was this guy Adam. I immediately rushed here to see if this was true.

Like I said I don't know much about the guy.

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

I just seen on media that we had done two deals today and one was this guy Adam. I immediately rushed here to see if this was true.

Like I said I don't know much about the guy.

Sorry I was just answering you not being sarky - my ‘ha’ was just for the situation if that came over wrong! It sounds like we will put a bid in (if you believe Paul Doyle in the Guardian) but no guarantee it will be accepted or we will get close to Southampton’s valuation 👍

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Preparing a bid is clever language that allows wiggle room. Funny that not a peep from John Percy. Have the Telegraph ran a story based on initial one like other outlets? Seems pretty fishy

48 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

I think it will happen

I don't disagree. Smith said he was "excited" and that we want "quality". Signing JWP and Buendia would be a shot across the bow of the league and we will be considered contenders for Europe.

Â