James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

You know, I still don’t think there’s anything to this… BUT Grealish made those free kick comments to the Guardian. It’s not crazy that their would have been a “are you after anyone to remedy that?”, “well I’ve heard we are after JWP but don’t print it for a couple of days” chat. That happens more than fans realise - players give a lot of “XYZ might happen but don’t print it until this point and don’t link it to me...”

But then also journos make stuff up. But not Paul Doyle I don’t think - it might be a nonsense rumour but it’s one someone at the club has told him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

You know, I still don’t think there’s anything to this… BUT Grealish made those free kick comments to the Guardian. It’s not crazy that their would have been a “are you after anyone to remedy that?”, “well I’ve heard we are after JWP but don’t print it for a couple of days” chat. That happens more than fans realise - players give a lot of “XYZ might happen but don’t print it until this point and don’t link it to me...”

But then also journos make stuff up. But not Paul Doyle I don’t think - it might be a nonsense rumour but it’s one someone at the club has told him.

Can't imagine it would be Jack that would leak it to the press. Would be too obvious. 

Southampton aren't in the best of places at the moment, their fans seem to think they need to spend big money just to stand still and avoid relegation next season, but not sure if their owner is going to put the money given he's apparently trying to sell the club.

If we're genuniely interested then I think we have a good chance of getting him and don't think he'd cost as much as some are suggesting.

• Like 1

I asked some of their fans if in JWPs new contract if there was a hint of a buy out clause and they were informed there wasnt as far as they were told.

The Barry comparison is a similar one, but we were doing very well when Man City prised him away. I would say given how Southampton have struggled a little in the last two seasons (comparatively speaking) it’s more like when... I can’t think of another more similar comparison though.

21 minutes ago, useless said:

Southampton aren't in the best of places at the moment, their fans seem to think they need to spend big money just to stand still and avoid relegation next season, but not sure if their owner is going to put the money given he's apparently trying to sell the club.

If we're genuniely interested then I think we have a good chance of getting him and don't think he'd cost as much as some are suggesting.

When a club has some problems, even if they are trying to keep it private, players and their agents usually know that there’s trouble at mill. Some of them inevitably,  may at least be more open to a move than they might have been. 

Agents will obviously see opportunities, especially if their client’s current employers aren’t handing out nice, shiny new contracts. 

We win a lot of set pieces but don’t have an efficient set piece taker.

JWP is an efficient set piece taker.

This all makes sense.

Since when have Aston Villa’s transfer dealings made sense?

Since we have been taken over by serious business men who don’t like to waste money.

Maybe we won’t get this guy,maybe we will but links like this will be the “new normal” I think anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

The Barry comparison is a similar one, but we were doing very well when Man City prised him away. I would say given how Southampton have struggled a little in the last two seasons (comparatively speaking) it’s more like when... I can’t think of another more similar comparison though.

Young? 

No one is going to pay some of the fees being mentioned in this thread for him, if Southampton get £40m they will have done well, that's probably ten or fifteen million more than he's worth.

I know people try and make comparisons to Grealish and how much we think he's worth, but that's flawed to me, we don't think Grealish is worth as much as he just because he's worth that much to us, he's worth as much as he is because he's objectively one of the best players in the world that would improve any team.

For those watching the England game today to check out JWP, if he plays crap, puts it in row Z, has a stinker then the transfer is on, he's just under orders from Jack to keep his fee down. If he plays really well, deals already done.

• Haha 1

If there existed a rule that said you could swap players whenever there were a set piece without interfering with the 3 sub rule i would be all for him.

Unfortunately you can't and we already have lots of 8's in this team as it is.

We should focus our attention on a 6

• Like 2

If there is any truth in this then presumably we know that the player is open to the move and also we must have some idea as to what region the club will seem acceptable and then it's just a matter of negotiation.

• Like 1

Â