James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

He also generally puts up much better passing stats than McGinn and Sanson, with whom he'd hypothetically be competing with to play. They have their own strengths but we were awfully porous in midfield for much of last season, and a player who would provide us greater control in possession would definitely prove useful. He's a lot more than just set pieces.

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Only 5ft 8 and 66 kilos thou according to the internet. Smaller than all our current CM's :ph34r:

Yet you never see or hear of Ward Prowse getting dominated or embarrassed by anyone in midfield. He's very competent. Maybe the plan is to push Luiz a bit further up the field.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Yet you never see or hear of Ward Prowse getting dominated or embarrassed by anyone in midfield. He's very competent. Maybe the plan is to push Luiz a bit further up the field.

Or McGinn

Feels a bit like the Cash move for me this one. Not a role many would have identified as a priority but if he comes in there’s a very good chance he really improves us.

McGinn and Luiz had too much on their plate last year and it showed. JWP has great work rate a la McGinn and is probably better on the ball which helps us retain possession against the top sides who press well. Of course the set pieces is a huge plus too. 

Main issue for me is how achievable this is to get over line. Clearly the club must think they’ve got a chance but why would Southampton want to sell? Maybe he’s a the point where he feels he needs a move to progress. I’d imagine he’ll be gutted to miss the Euros. 

54 minutes ago, sne said:

Only 5ft 8 and 66 kilos thou according to the internet. Smaller than all our current CM's :ph34r:

Same height and weight as myself and I'm an incredibly good footballer so don't worry lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

Main issue for me is how achievable this is to get over line. Clearly the club must think they’ve got a chance but why would Southampton want to sell? 

I don’t think they would. But in this day an age so much goes on behind the scenes, the idea that you can’t contact a player until his/her club grant you permission is an absolute nonsense. I think generally when a club bids for a player it’s because they have an inclining that club or player are open to a discussion  

Just now, birdman said:

Same height and weight as myself and I'm an incredibly good footballer so don't worry lol

About the same myself, I'm a bit lighter than that and I also used to be pretty decent until my knee got busted :D Terrible at FK's thou.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I would be more impressed if we pulled this one off 

carry on teacher GIF

I don’t think we are in for him. It just doesn’t feel right. I think we may have leaked this to aid our position with another player. I’m certain that we did exactly the same with McNeil to assist a deal for Buendia. Would not be surprised to see this die down and we secure another centre mid shortly after. Hopefully Bissouma.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

This is where I’m at, mate. That’s a helluva team. You’ve got some serious stamina in the middle and some genuine quality in the wide-ish positions. 

The only concern is pace, but it’s still a top 8/6 team. 

It really does look good, doesn't it? The thing that has really surprised and impressed me about Buendia is his defensive stats. He's actually going to add a lot more tenacity.

Buendia being a number 10 that plays out wide essentially allows us to play 3 in the middle, which I think will stop teams running through us like they did at times last season and also gives us way more stamina.

Ward-Prowse being the holder (what he does best) allows Sanson and McGinn to be box to box engine players (what they do best). There's potentially so much creativity in there.

Just think in addition to that we'd have on the bench:

Nakamba, Luiz, Ramsey, Chukwuemeka, Philogene, Traore, El Ghazi and Davis/Wesley/New striker as options to change a game.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 2

Â