Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

7 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Think he can at least get close to Jack's carrying ability, albeit not fully replace. 

Once he's hit his stride I feel a lot of people will be very impressed with how he carries. He brings ball carrying and final 3rd passing. 

That stat is quite an outlier. For 80% of the games so far, he didn't record more than a single successful dribble the entire game. 

He's been much more of a passer than a dribbler for us.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

That stat is quite an outlier. For 80% of the games so far, he didn't record more than a single successful dribble the entire game. 

Think that's part of the point, he is on a massively upward trajectory under Gerrard. 

For example, he wasn't even in the top 25 for chances created per 90 for the first 10 matches of the season. Now he's first. 

• Like 1

On 07/12/2021 at 18:48, Steero113 said:

Think that's part of the point, he is on a massively upward trajectory under Gerrard. 

For example, he wasn't even in the top 25 for chances created per 90 for the first 10 matches of the season. Now he's first. 

It's also a bit redundant to compare him pre-Gerrard as he wasn't settled yet and it's taking time to get him on the team's wavelength or more accurately, they're getting on his. 

I was also thinking about how some people being a bit snippy about his body language or so-called attitude and I'm just wondering if it's because they've not had much exposure to that culture or players from that part of the world. Besides Buendia, I think the only Argentinian we've had was Gustavo Bartelt, and he never featured, so they're not used to the passion/competitiveness that you can get from these players. I worked with an Argentinian guy who was as nice as anything for the most part, into his Buddhism and zen stuff, but get him on the football pitch or basketball court and he transformed into an absolute monster - just couldn't really control it because that's how they're brought up in a sporting capacity.

The Uruguayans are pretty similar culturally and call this sort of pathological determination to win 'Garra Charrua' - I read an article about it the other day if anyone's interested - https://thesefootballtimes.co/2020/08/12/garra-charrua-and-the-psychology-of-uruguayan-football/ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 26/09/2021 at 16:26, Delphinho123 said:

I wonder if we’d be a better side with Buendia playing as a 10 behind Watkins/Ings in our current formation? 

Personally, I’d have him behind Watkins, but it’s a tough call to leave Ings out. 

I don't think it will be a fixed 11 like it was......Rotation will be the formula, moving forward, with tactics and energy upgrades, changing mid game.

Buendia is really wild hearted, in the game when he was subbed and some thought he had a attitude problem, watching the replay whenever the cameras showed the bench you could see him getting really animated watching the game. Shows that he cares a lot, maybe that's part of the reason why he hasn't been at his best yet, possibly trying too hard

Edited by useless

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's also a bit redundant to compare him pre-Gerrard as he wasn't settled yet and it's taking time to get him on the team's wavelength or more accurately, they're getting on his. 

I was also thinking about how some people being a bit snippy about his body language or so-called attitude and I'm just wondering if it's because they've not had much exposure to that culture or players from that part of the world. Besides Buendia, I think the only Argentinian we've had was Gustavo Bartelt, and he never featured, so they're not used to the passion/competitiveness that you can get from these players. I worked with an Argentinian guy who was as nice as anything for the most part, into his Buddhism and zen stuff, but get him on the football pitch or basketball court and he transformed into an absolute monster - just couldn't really control it because that's how they're brought up in a sporting capacity.

The Uruguayans are pretty similar culturally and call this sort of pathological determination to win 'Garra Charrua' - I read an article about it the other day if anyone's interested - https://thesefootballtimes.co/2020/08/12/garra-charrua-and-the-psychology-of-uruguayan-football/ 

SG must have had South American ancestary.....He is "Garra Charrua" personified.

On 07/12/2021 at 16:46, Laughable Chimp said:

He's been much more of a passer than a dribbler for us.

He's much too slow when running with the ball. He's got quick feet to get past a player, but when running with the ball he gets caught by opposition players very easily. I think he'll be more of a beat a man, and play a nice through ball, than a ball carrier like Grealish.

• Like 1

For what it's worth if you're talking about ball carrying then a better measurement than dribbles is progressive carries/carrying distance, which Buendia's numbers for this season aren't exactly amazing. I think that was more so what Bailey was brought in for though, and in any case I think comparing it to Grealish's is a tad unfair given there has been points in the last couple of years where his numbers in that regard have literally been the highest in Europe.

I've moaned about Buendia an awful lot since he signed but I'm really not sure why he didn't start today. 

Unless there's a slight injury I didn't know about then there's no reason he shouldn't have been starting, I wasn't particularly hopeful before the game but when the team was released I lost all hope completely. We weren't going to create anything whatsoever and it showed today. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I've moaned about Buendia an awful lot since he signed but I'm really not sure why he didn't start today. 

Unless there's a slight injury I didn't know about then there's no reason he shouldn't have been starting, I wasn't particularly hopeful before the game but when the team was released I lost all hope completely. We weren't going to create anything whatsoever and it showed today. 

Yes that was my take on it. Gerrard went with a defensive attitude but maybe if he didnt we would have lost by more, who knows

Â