Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, Risso said:

You can't afford to give the ball away as often as he does in bad positions against Liverpool.

This. And that’s why he didn’t start.

Dont buy into him having a knock. Gerrard is just using his squad and picking the team based on the opposition. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Has to start Vs Norwich. Should've been on sooner. I understood why we went with Ramsey and Young but we missed an out ball all game.

I get we wanted to keep the scoreline respectable and it mostly worked, but lumping the ball to Ollie who had three players on him everytime he even tried to win the ball or take it forward meant we had no forward outlet and invited wave after wave of attack.

The scouse midfield were jumping all over Young, fouling him at every opportunity, Buendia might have helped us keep a bit of possession and relieve the pressure, I genuinely don't think we would have been worse off had he started instead of Young as much as I respect Young and what Gerrard was trying to do.

3 hours ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

To me, what it says is Gerrard understands Villa were next to no hope of getting a result at Anfield against the best team in the league, and rather than have Buendia chase shadows for 70 minutes with 30% possession it was better to have the team's most creative player fresh for 2 games in 4 days against Norwich and Burnley, which are far more important games for Aston Villa than an away trip to Liverpool.

Rather than you taking the pessimistic view to the situation, my opinion is that Gerrard is saying to Buendia "You are the guy I am turning to for 6 points in the next 2 games and I'm keeping you fresh for those matches."

Based on his performances in the last 3 games prior to Liverpool, there was NO reason for Emi to be "dropped" for Young on form.

Yeah, I don't buy it. You always hear this kind of theory but ultimately I think Gerrard wanted a result and picked the team he thought could get him one. 

Same against palace when Buendia started on the bench. 

And against Norwich I'd expect the same with Buendia back in. 

4 hours ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

To me, what it says is Gerrard understands Villa were next to no hope of getting a result at Anfield against the best team in the league, and rather than have Buendia chase shadows for 70 minutes with 30% possession it was better to have the team's most creative player fresh for 2 games in 4 days against Norwich and Burnley, which are far more important games for Aston Villa than an away trip to Liverpool.

Rather than you taking the pessimistic view to the situation, my opinion is that Gerrard is saying to Buendia "You are the guy I am turning to for 6 points in the next 2 games and I'm keeping you fresh for those matches."

Based on his performances in the last 3 games prior to Liverpool, there was NO reason for Emi to be "dropped" for Young on form.

Disagree his form has been poor and is not a key player we need to "rest" at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, LondonVillian said:

Disagree his form has been poor and is not a key player we need to "rest" at the moment.

Agreed. Just about the first thing that Buendia did when he came on was set up Jota by giving the ball away cheaply. He really needs to cut that sort of thing out, he's an absolute liability.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Risso said:

Agreed. Just about the first thing that Buendia did when he came on was set up Jota by giving the ball away cheaply. He really needs to cut that sort of thing out, he's an absolute liability.

Not going to regurgitate pages of discussion gone by on this thread, but this is just not fair on the player at all. 

A liability would be a player who we are carrying game in game out and who's negative aspects far outweigh their respective positives. Can you honestly say that about Emi? He had a massive impact on the game and was integral to setting up good opportunities for Cash, Ollie and Ings when he came on which on another day would have worked out differently and you'd be raving about him. 

Anyone with eyes can see that Buendia is a good player. He has shown improvement game on game and will be integral for us moving forward. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Bruno Fernandes gave the ball away 27 times on Saturday. This is what happens with creative midfielders

I don't accept that. Not every pass is going to find its mark of course, but Buendia very often gives possession away sloppily, that lead directly to chances for the opposition. Watch the highlights on Sky for Jota's chance, it was a really poor attempted pass by Buendia that led to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

He’s a really gifted playmaker, just needs the players around him to f**king kick the ball in the massive netted frame thing you w**kers.

Took the liberty of changing that for you. 

Been saying it all along, a little luck (competent finishing) and he'd be on 6 or 7 assists by now and we'd be lauding the bloke. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He’s a really gifted playmaker, just needs the players around him to tune into his wavelength, and he could start racking up the assist stats.

He has absolutely brilliant moments. I'm hoping at some point he really starts to impact games, rather than just moments. 

50 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just watched the Pre Game press conference.

Ringing endorsement and big up from SG for him hey?

I don't usually hear managers staright up say a player will start etc so early before a match.

Good to hear that he seems to really like him though.

I'd imagine when he got the job, part of his remit is to get Buendia, Bailey and Ings working as we've invested heavily in them. There's a lot of potential in Buendia but in all seriousness, out of our games so far, which ones has he been excellent in? I'd say none. 

Which ones has he been good in? Being generous, guess you could say the Wolves loss and the man city loss. 

And then other than that it's been individual nice moments in games. 

I think it will eventually click for him but this thread seems to read like he's been top quality for us. He really hasn't so far. 

Let's hope tomorrow can be a real dominating performance. 

Â