Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair if the finishing was better he’d have quite a few assist now. 

I think that's fair to say. I think it fits with what I've said, some moments of absolute brilliance. 

But in terms of overall performances in games, it's very limited so far.

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd imagine when he got the job, part of his remit is to get Buendia, Bailey and Ings working as we've invested heavily in them. There's a lot of potential in Buendia but in all seriousness, out of our games so far, which ones has he been excellent in? I'd say none. 

Which ones has he been good in? Being generous, guess you could say the Wolves loss and the man city loss. 

And then other than that it's been individual nice moments in games. 

I think it will eventually click for him but this thread seems to read like he's been top quality for us. He really hasn't so far. 

Let's hope tomorrow can be a real dominating performance. 

Possibly an element of " man management " to get his confidence up, and fire him up as well?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

He has absolutely brilliant moments. I'm hoping at some point he really starts to impact games, rather than just moments. 

Playing 90 minutes would be a good start.

His success at Norwich was as much about the understanding and familiarity he enjoyed with his team mates, he hasn’t had chance to develop that yet here, at the same time getting up to speed with the pace of the PL again. You can see there is a talent there and one that could be every bit as effective as Jack in time. He is certainly getting better, and as mentioned, with better finishing by others and greater understanding where he might put the ball, could have much more significant stats. We are generally a bit goal shy this term so the figures are skewed against him.

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He’s a really gifted playmaker, just needs the players around him to tune into his wavelength, and he could start racking up the assist stats.

I can see Ings and Buendia clicking, Watkins great guy and super energetic but I dont see it together 

I think some of the issues he (and bailey) have had, other than being fit enough to play, is that early on they were both trying to be a certain recently departed midfielder. Trying to win the game single handedly off the own boot. Hopefully under the new manager they have enough confidence in the system that they don't feel the need to do that and can play a bit less hero ball

• Like 1

Hmm... I'm trying to think of some of our more creative midfielders during the premier league era (that is, a 10 instead of a winger or striker).

Clearly there are gaps in my memory, but of the ones that come to mind:

• Merson
  • Hendrie
  • Ashley Young (under Houllier)
  • Ireland
  • Grealish
  • Buendia

With perhaps the exception of Grealish - a generational talent - they all have something in common: They were slated here for not doing enough/not being consistent.

I wonder if we just don't appreciate our number 10's?

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bruno Fernandes gave the ball away 27 times on Saturday. This is what happens with creative midfielders

To be fair, giving it away 27 times is inexcusable. You can still be creative and keep the ball well.

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He’s a really gifted playmaker, just needs the players around him to tune into his wavelength, and he could start racking up the assist stats.

There have been a few other passes he's made which just make you go 'oh, wow'

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Hmm... I'm trying to think of some of our more creative midfielders during the premier league era (that is, a 10 instead of a winger or striker).

• Merson
  • Hendrie
  • Ireland
  • Grealish
  • Buendia

With perhaps the exception of Grealish - a generational talent - they all have something in common: They were slated here for not doing enough/not being consistent.

image.jpeg.f5caaa57135ef53e31ddc19fb834c0b7.jpeg

yes, it was definitely the classic it’s not you it’s me. What’s not to appreciate? They got Milner and we got a pack of crisps and the finest modeler of snakeskin pants the game has ever seen 😉

4 minutes ago, villaslash said:

yes, it was definitely the classic it’s not you it’s me. What’s not to appreciate? They got Milner and we got a pack of crisps and the finest modeler of snakeskin pants the game has ever seen 😉

Don't forget the hot pink car!

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair if the finishing was better he’d have quite a few assist now. 

He's actually overperforming his expected assists. We're generally one of the best finishers in the league this season. It's how we've been able to score so many goals despite our xG numbers being one of the lowest in the league.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

• Merson
  • Hendrie
  • Ireland
  • Grealish
  • Buendia

You forgot about Ross Barkley

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, villaslash said:

I was actually quite optimistic about the signing at the time as well 😔

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think it will eventually click for him but this thread seems to read like he's been top quality for us. He really hasn't so far. 

I don't really think so, mate - it's more been guys saying he is a total liability and waste of money, and others saying he is clearly a very talented player and you need to give him time (in reality the whole season plus next off season too).

The detractors demand results immediately (one guy even had the temerity to say he expects Buendia to produce the same output as Grealish did!!), the pro-Buendia group arguing for leniency in viewing his performances until the fullness of time has run its course whilst recognising the special moments he can produce which nobody else in the squad is capable of.

I mean, the guy has moved to a new home, a new city, a new club, a new manager (two new managers!), and the best attacking players at the club have been injured most of the time he's been here anyway.

If come next Christmas people are still debating whether he is an automatic starter or not, whether he impacts games enough or not etc, then it's fair to question whether he was the right signing for Villa.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

• Merson
  • Hendrie
  • Ireland
  • Grealish
  • Buendia

Merson was supporters' player of the year two seasons running wasn't he?

9 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

• Merson
  • Hendrie
  • Ireland
  • Grealish
  • Buendia

Merson wasn't consistent though. He was here during some of his worst battles (personal) lets be honest so hardly surprising.

Hendrie was never a number 10. Young don't recall any moaning about it other then he was better on the wing. ( which he was)

Ireland was complete shit. 

Struggling to see the point here. 

Edited by LondonVillian

Â