2021/22 expectations

Jareth

We have hit or have exceeded our targets since being promoted in my opinion. In the first season we survived and that for me, was the realistic target. This season we will finish mid table, when I was hoping that we would just be outside of the bottom six. Next season, I would target a top half finish and hope we can get into or near the top six, in the best case scenario.

It is a pity that Jack like Harry Kane, tends to pick up an injury each year, that keeps him out of the team for a lengthy period. Like Spurs without Harry, Villa without Jack are not the same team. I would guess that Spurs will be as loathe as we would be to sell their talisman (particularly when clubs are looking to offer below market value). Where I expect us to differ from Levy, is that I expect us to buy the players to play alongside our star player. Another 3 or 4 top signings, will I'm sure be funded by our owners this summer, to continue our steady and relentless progress.  

• Like 2

Seems like the general consensus is for a 10th -  6th placed finish for next season. I would completely agree with that. Consolidation in these places is huge progress. 

If we don't see us near that, then I think we would rightly begin to start questioning the manager. Not bloody now! Next season will probably be deans biggest, in terms of pressure on his job.

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Seems like the general consensus is for a 10th -  6th placed finish for next season. I would completely agree with that. Consolidation in these places is huge progress. 

If we don't see us near that, then I think we would rightly begin to start questioning the manager. Not bloody now! Next season will probably be deans biggest, in terms of pressure on his job.

It's weird to see these expectations and also see several people losing their shit at us just missing out on it this season at the current rate.  

I expect us to add a few more quality players in the summer and sustain our good football for a few more months.  Not in the numbers many of the doom-mongers say we need, just two or three targeted positions.  Then Chukwuemeka to have a breakout season linking up with Jack in midfield.

• Like 2

I want to see a level of consistency.  The key players that we should build around - i.e. the back 5, Jack, Ollie, Douggie L & SJM - are now established PL players and will have had a proper pre-season and, with a couple of exceptions, should have had a decent summer break.  I particularly want to see the two CM'ers get back to their previous bests (DL form from 2020 and SJM the form when he first got into the PL) which I think/hope that they can both achieve, although I think the latter needs a good conditioning programme with Ollie Stevenson.  I hope that we can compete with the Big 6 in games consistently, as we have done this season up until the last dozen or so games, and regularly hand out a bloody nose to them.

I want to see an identifiable style of play and progress on the pitch in terms of performance BUT, at the same time, I want to see Deano develop a degree of tactical flexibility that I don't think he currently possesses or shows.  I want him to grow/evolve to be a top coach but I am not sure he will get the chance with us if he doesn't hit the ground running next season.

I want to see the excellent youth that we have with clear development plans - for some that will mean loans at varying levels whilst for others that may mean sticking around at BH for another year (e.g. Barry, from what I have seen, is one that would benefit from a programme with Ollie Stevenson to develop physically and then go out, possibly, the following season).  I would definitely like to see Ramsey (I think we have enough "8"s to cope without him next season if we bring in a proper DCM and ACM) and KD get loans to good championship clubs and get 30 games plus each.  It would be great to see us continue the trend of capturing the best young talents also.

Assuming we keep everybody we want, I would love to see 5/6 acquisitions: RW; ACM/LW (depending what we want to do with Jack); and DCM to come straight in to the first XI debate and a "9"; LW/ACM cover and LB to compete/for rotation would be my priorities with question marks over RB and CB cover strategy with Guilbert/Kessler and Revan, where Guilbert and an older 4th choice CB might be retained/brought in if Kessler and Revan need loans to prove themselves and Engels leaves.  I would also want us to clear out the chaff - El Ghazi (who I don't think has the bottle to be a top of PL player but does have some value), Nakamba (if we bring in a starting DCM) and Hourihane (just doesn't bring enough all round for me).  It would be great if we could rest/rotate/sub our best players in certain games to keep them fit and fresher and if we reduce the reliance for creativity on Jack.  I would hope that the squad will also settle so that the following year can be all about bringing in 1 or 2 of real quality players to try and consolidate as a European challenger/push on into the top 4. 

In terms of league position, like most, I would hope that we could compete for 5th spot and end up anywhere in the second quartile, probably competing in a mini league with Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Leicester, Leeds and Wolves outside the current top big 4, which I see as the three NW clubs plus Chelski?  

Edited by barry'sboots
  • Like 1

Around 10th.

West Ham are likely to struggle to repeat the form they've had this season, especially if they get into Europe. But Arsenal should improve if they get a proper manager in.

Think us, Wolves, Leeds and West Ham will fight it out for the positions between 9 and 12.

Obviously it's impossible to say until we see what squads the clubs will have.

if jack stays then top half

if he leaves, no doubt we'll have money to spend, but we will need to gel those new players...in which case i'd take 13/14th

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's weird to see these expectations and also see several people losing their shit at us just missing out on it this season at the current rate.  

I expect us to add a few more quality players in the summer and sustain our good football for a few more months.  Not in the numbers many of the doom-mongers say we need, just two or three targeted positions.  Then Chukwuemeka to have a breakout season linking up with Jack in midfield.

Excellent point. 

Potentially not even missing out on it! 

Edited by Mjvilla

Be more consistent as a team and individual players. It's not ideal have 3 months of good performances and 3 of poor. This season we was lucky  to have the 3 good months at the start of the season , Heaven forbid the 3 bad ones are at the start, as we all know from last season it makes things very difficult. 

Less reliance on Jack and Ollie to create for us. 

Get a midfielder who can defend and do a little bit of the other stuff as well, a Rice/ Philips or Boateng type player. Tough and determined to get in the oppositions faces and make us hard to play against .

Blood some youngsters  into the first team, would love to see a few more breaking through,  great to see Ramsey pushing through let's have some others as well. 

Would love a decent run in a Cup, an FA cup final would be a true achievement, to win it would be unbelievable. 

With all that challenging for a top 8 place until the last few games would be progress.

The winning lottery numbers as well 👌

I for one am realistic about next season, top 10 will be a good step forward from where it looks as though we are finishing this season - which has been one of consolidation really. 

We have a LONG way to go to match the quality and squad depth of the champions league regulars. Just look at the Man City bench today - its utter filth!

image.png.b79e9bfe18a78a5ed2183d823f75c7ce.png

Taken from https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/56835687

23 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I want to see a level of consistency.  The key players that we should build around - i.e. the back 5, Jack, Ollie, Douggie L & SJM - are now established PL players and will have had a proper pre-season and, with a couple of exceptions, should have had a decent summer break.  I particularly want to see the two CM'ers get back to their previous bests (DL form from 2020 and SJM the form when he first got into the PL) which I think/hope that they can both achieve, although I think the latter needs a good conditioning programme with Ollie Stevenson.  I hope that we can compete with the Big 6 in games consistently, as we have done this season up until the last dozen or so games, and regularly hand out a bloody nose to them.

I want to see an identifiable style of play and progress on the pitch in terms of performance BUT, at the same time, I want to see Deano develop a degree of tactical flexibility that I don't think he currently possesses or shows.  I want him to grow/evolve to be a top coach but I am not sure he will get the chance with us if he doesn't hit the ground running next season.

I want to see the excellent youth that we have with clear development plans - for some that will mean loans at varying levels whilst for others that may mean sticking around at BH for another year (e.g. Barry, from what I have seen, is one that would benefit from a programme with Ollie Stevenson to develop physically and then go out, possibly, the following season).  I would definitely like to see Ramsey (I think we have enough "8"s to cope without him next season if we bring in a proper DCM and ACM) and KD get loans to good championship clubs and get 30 games plus each.  It would be great to see us continue the trend of capturing the best young talents also.

Assuming we keep everybody we want, I would love to see 5/6 acquisitions: RW; ACM/LW (depending what we want to do with Jack); and DCM to come straight in to the first XI debate and a "9"; LW/ACM cover and LB to compete/for rotation would be my priorities with question marks over RB and CB cover strategy with Guilbert/Kessler and Revan, where Guilbert and an older 4th choice CB might be retained/brought in if Kessler and Revan need loans to prove themselves and Engels leaves.  I would also want us to clear out the chaff - El Ghazi (who I don't think has the bottle to be a top of PL player but does have some value), Nakamba (if we bring in a starting DCM) and Hourihane (just doesn't bring enough all round for me).  It would be great if we could rest/rotate/sub our best players in certain games to keep them fit and fresher and if we reduce the reliance for creativity on Jack.  I would hope that the squad will also settle so that the following year can be all about bringing in 1 or 2 of real quality players to try and consolidate as a European challenger/push on into the top 4. 

In terms of league position, like most, I would hope that we could compete for 5th spot and end up anywhere in the second quartile, probably competing in a mini league with Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Leicester, Leeds and Wolves outside the current top big 4, which I see as the three NW clubs plus Chelski?  

Good Post Baz, much how I see it.

I would summarize my hopes for next season......focus on consistency, try to eliminate long spells of poor form after good form...have a better bounce back mentality to create more consistency. I still don't see us chasing Europe next season, still too much to do for me.

maybe season 22/23 if we get things right in the transfer market and the youth is maturing......I want to see more midfield control come in to our games, not just fleeting passages of good play to score goals and secure points....I want us to look after the ball better and retain it with more confidence. I want us to become a little more believeable and reliable.

I can't honestly busy my self with league finishes, until we get some of the important issues in the game, sorted out, otherwise we will not conquer the consistency issue.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

On a serious note I want us to be more clinical. I also want us to defend like how we did before the covid breakout and limit how many chances we give up. We HAVE to keep the ball better for longer too.

• Like 3

On 30/04/2021 at 08:38, nepal_villan said:

With the seditious six and Leicester, that's 7 clubs that on paper will be equal or better than us. Therefore, realistically hard to expect anything more than a Top 10 finish.

West Ham could easily be part of this season's top 6. With europa that will knock them a few places. Leicester have established themselves but again I don't see it impossible to finish above them in near future.

Likes of Chelsea and Man. United yes as even in mediocre seasons they know how to get more than 65 points but the others (and I include Spurs and even Liverpool in this) I think we can be challenging to finish above them in near future as long as we get in 2-3 real difference maker to back up Jack but that's going to require plenty of work.

Â