2021/22 expectations

Jareth

11 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

And a risings average age, Allan 30 James near 30 as is Doucore , Sigoursson 31 the core of the squad will need replacing before they really get going.

really is a shit business model and glad we're doing the opposite. buying old players for big money and big wages with no resale value

from the signings we've made since promotion there aren't many we'd make a loss on. maybe wesley and anwar but can't think of many others

27 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

NWSE are building a solid base. Look at the youth set up. Look at the majority of our senior signings, all are mostly young with potential to improve. Look at Bodymoor. Hopefully look at the inner city academy soon. We will have ups and downs but we are finally starting to act as a big club which hasn't happened since......

I think a lot depends on the transfer funds made available. Are we going for the £15m* likes of Sansom, Traroe and hoping they cut it in the prem ?  - Or are we going to be buying £30 40m* players to make a real impact at first team level

*Usual disclaimers I know bigger fees don't guarantee a better performer on the pitch. 

A top half finish this  season will be brilliant progress. However, Next season we will need to better this season's finishing position.

It's really hard to predict at this moment in time where we might finish, or expect to finish next season until we see how this one ends and what business we do over the course of the summer transfer window.

Keeping our key players will equally be advantageous.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

A top half finish season will be brilliant.

Next season we will need to better this season's finishing position.

It's really hard to predict at this moment in time where we might finish, or expect to finish next season until we see how this one ends and what business we do over the course of the summer transfer window.

Agreed. We all hope Jack stays (and I think he will) - But if he goes thats a major setback for us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats a fair question DC. I wasnt angry that much from the end of 2020.  But the start of 2021 we have mainly been poor. I didnt expect europe but when we started playing poorly snd losing games against burnley, sheff utd etc it was making me question smith and how limited he is without jack. I mean last week vs Everton we were really excellent. If we had seen more performances like this i would hav been satisfied.

However the general play has been poor for a lot of the time without jack.  Poor with the passing , poor set pieces and really awful in final third. Only thing i would say has been a positive is that defensively we look alot more solid than last year.

I havent called for smiths head but he does concern me at times. I am happy to praise him when he does well but when i think he is doing shit i will call him out on it. Believe it or not i like dean and i am dying for him ti be  a success.  Much more likeable than bruce lambert or Sherwood 

Fair enough. I would have thought those concerns you had would be offset by our league position, which has consistently been good since day one. Especially when you seem to have realistic expectations about that this year and next. 

26 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

A top half finish this  season will be brilliant progress. However, Next season we will need to better this season's finishing position.

This thread is so confusing. People who have done pretty much nothing but criticise the manager, then coming in here and claiming what he's doing is brilliant. 

Mind is blown. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This thread is so confusing. People who have done pretty much nothing but criticise the manager, then coming in here and claiming what he's doing is brilliant. 

Mind is blown. 

Have a day off mate.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed. We all hope Jack stays (and I think he will) - But if he goes thats a major setback for us. 

He won't go. But if he did we would get close to £100 million to soften the blow. If United can pay 80 million for Maguire 100 mil should be the asking price. 

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Will do. Hopefully you'll do the same next time we lose or don't make the sub you wanted. 

Just to remind you, we're talking about expectations for next season and not clogging this thread up on matters involving our Head Coach.

If you want to discuss matters involving Dean Smith and some of the concerning issues many fans have had this season then I am happy to join you there to continue this discussion.  😘

• Thanks 1

I expect the Super 6 to be banned from European competition, so we'll qualify for next season's Champions League and naturally we'll win that. There or thereabouts top of the league, though it will admittedly be a difficult race when the other challengers don't have the distraction of Europe. Should be looking at winning the FA Cup, but I will accept the League Cup if it's that or neither. And #SmithOut if he even thinks we're not capable of any of that, or if he tries to bring on Davis before injury time ever.

56 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think a lot depends on the transfer funds made available. Are we going for the £15m* likes of Sansom, Traroe and hoping they cut it in the prem ?  - Or are we going to be buying £30 40m* players to make a real impact at first team level

*Usual disclaimers I know bigger fees don't guarantee a better performer on the pitch. 

I think it has been generally accepted that we recruited brilliantly last summer so there's no reason to think that the 15m+ disclaimers amount won't be sufficient this time around to push further up the table. We suffered from strength in depth rather than not having a marquee or two. Not that the latter wouldn't be nice. I just don't think we need that to make a big difference for next season.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'm sure everyone would like to better this season's position. That's the hope every year for fans and the club.

I don't think having it as a minimum expectation is a play the club will have internally.

12th for example next season wouldn't be a great season, but it's a long way from a bad one.

Doesn't add up to say 10th is "brilliant" this season but 11th is unacceptable next season IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

really is a shit business model and glad we're doing the opposite. buying old players for big money and big wages with no resale value

from the signings we've made since promotion there aren't many we'd make a loss on. maybe wesley and anwar but can't think of many others

It is, and it can’t be sustainable, I don’t think we’d lose money on Anwar tbh I think he’s a £15m + winger/forward now, were all about improving talent at this club,  Everton has similarities to MON villa and if they don’t make the champions league within the next 3 seasons I  see the bubble bursting.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm sure everyone would like to better this season's position. That's the hope every year for fans and the club.

I don't think having it as a minimum expectation is a play the club will have internally.

12th for example next season wouldn't be a great season, but it's a long way from a bad one.

Doesn't add up to say 10th is "brilliant" this season but 11th is unacceptable next season IMO.

I get what you mean Tomaszk and I think you state the obvious to a degree.

However, We do have to keep in mind that we want to progress each season If we want to reach a European competition eventually, which is what the board/owners will also want to see imo.

I think if we have a really good summer of activity in the window then there is no real reason why we cannot kick on a few places?

Again, I think we will have a better idea after our summer business is concluded to be fair.

• Like 1

This season has been very good in that Villa have progressed and we have given most teams a game; on our day we are a match for any of them!

I did hope and got really excited we might get into the 'top six' but alas we are short; however with Jack Grealish fit all season maybe we could have been there still?

Anyhow, we need to continue to buy well and hope we can catch a Wet Spam, Everton or perhaps Leicester and then we may get 'top six'. Ancelotti won't be around for much longer as he averages two years at a club, Moyes over-performed too.

Next season: I'd be happy with a little more consistency and winning the games we should have won such as Brighton, Newcastle, Sheff. Utd.

Top Eight (maybe seventh) would be the least we should aim for, a good cup run and possible a chance at Europe. Villa need to be regularly qualifying for Europe in my view.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It is, and it can’t be sustainable, I don’t think we’d lose money on Anwar tbh I think he’s a £15m + winger/forward now, were all about improving talent at this club,  Everton has similarities to MON villa and if they don’t make the champions league within the next 3 seasons I  see the bubble bursting.

They have a £500 million stadium lined up, I don't think they are to burst but will keep finishing between 7th to 9th.

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

They have a £500 million stadium lined up, I don't think they are to burst but will keep finishing between 7th to 9th.

Possibly but the spending will stop between the impact of covid a bigger wage budget and a new stadium to pay for they will be spread thin,  Goodison is a 39k seater, the new stadium is set to be 52k, 12k extra seats won’t generate a lot of money soon and will take years to recoup on the investment . Sure they’re owner is worth 2.7 billion and they won’t go bust, but they will be working under serious financial restrictions.

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Possibly but the spending will stop between the impact of covid a bigger wage budget and a new stadium to pay for they will be spread thin,  Goodison is a 39k seater, the new stadium is set to be 52k, 12k extra seats won’t generate a lot of money soon and will take years to recoup on the investment . Sure they’re owner is worth 2.7 billion and they won’t go bust, but they will be working under serious financial restrictions.

Goodison has very little corporate, the new one will have lots. That is the money making stream not really us plebs in the stands.

Plus I am sure they can get some naming rights for the new stadium.

• Like 1

Â