2021/22 expectations

Jareth

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's tricky, there are four teams that know they'll be competing for a European place:

• Man City
  • Chelsea
  • Man Utd
  • Liverpool

And three that think they are:

• Leicester
  • Spurs
  • Arsenal

Then we're in a group that would love to compete for Europe:

• Everton
  • Villa
  • Leeds
  • Wolves
  • West Ham

I don't think finishing bottom of that group would represent a disaster, I think finishing top of the group and getting into the group above would be fantastic. If I had to pick us a spot it'd be 9th, but 12th would mean we've still performed in line with our group even if we've not succeeded in it.

Below us there are a handful of teams that want to think they're in that group:

• Southampton
  • Palace
  • Newcastle
  • Brighton

Then Burnley and the three promoted teams who will just be delighted to stay up.

I htink predictions of us being the group of three beyond the top four are very optimistic right now - it's possible someone will have a disaster of a season, but even then I think Everton are probably just ahead of us.

I think that is quite a good analysis and where i think it will be

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's tricky, there are four teams that know they'll be competing for a European place:

• Man City
  • Chelsea
  • Man Utd
  • Liverpool

And three that think they are:

• Leicester
  • Spurs
  • Arsenal

Then we're in a group that would love to compete for Europe:

• Everton
  • Villa
  • Leeds
  • Wolves
  • West Ham

I don't think finishing bottom of that group would represent a disaster, I think finishing top of the group and getting into the group above would be fantastic. If I had to pick us a spot it'd be 9th, but 12th would mean we've still performed in line with our group even if we've not succeeded in it.

Below us there are a handful of teams that want to think they're in that group:

• Southampton
  • Palace
  • Newcastle
  • Brighton

Then Burnley and the three promoted teams who will just be delighted to stay up.

I htink predictions of us being the group of three beyond the top four are very optimistic right now - it's possible someone will have a disaster of a season, but even then I think Everton are probably just ahead of us.

Good post. I personally think Everton and West Ham are more than ‘just’ ahead of us in terms of squad strength although not much in to with our best 11s.  They’ve both been rebuilding and very active in the transfer market for a while now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good post. I personally think Everton and West Ham are more than ‘just’ ahead of us in terms of squad strength although not much in to with our best 11s.  They’ve both been rebuilding and very active in the transfer market for a while now. 

Don't disagree at present but if we have a similar window to last summer then I think we can be on a par with these two??

46 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Don't disagree at present but if we have a similar window to last summer then I think we can be on a par with these two??

It’s possible. I guess it depends on their investment in the summer too. 

On 01/05/2021 at 17:41, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s possible. I guess it depends on their investment in the summer too. 

Europa league will knock West Ham down a few places next season so not too worried about them. It's been running too smoothly for last 6 months so Sullivan or Gold will say something that will cause a civil war before too long. Or they'll sell Rice and their fans will go into full riot mode. If we go into next season thinking we have no chance of finishing above West Ham then it won't be that exciting a season. I think they'll be 9th or 10th, possibly bottom half.

Interesting one on Everton that will alert OBE, they're close to signing Coutinho for about 25m, guessing as a James Rodriguez replacement.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Europa league will knock West Ham down a few places next season so not too worried about them. It's been running too smoothly for last 6 months so Sullivan or Gold will say something that will cause a civil war before too long. Or they'll sell Rice and their fans will go into full riot mode. If we go into next season thinking we have no chance of finishing above West Ham then it won't be that exciting a season. I think they'll be 9th or 10th, possibly bottom half.

Interesting one on Everton that will alert OBE, they're close to signing Coutinho for about 25m, guessing as a James Rodriguez replacement.

That's such an Everton signing to make nowadays. Don't know what they're doing...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Looking at their spending over the past years they must be pushing it with FFP. Their wage bill must be sky high. 

And a risings average age, Allan 30 James near 30 as is Doucore , Sigoursson 31 the core of the squad will need replacing before they really get going.

• Like 3

We have a youbger squad which is really making you feel we have  abetter future than the likes of everton.

Summer is key. I know people think we dont need a striker i think we do. If ollie got injured we would have been screwed. 

God knows what kind of wes we will get back after such a horrific injury.

Davis 1st goal in 2 yeara says it all.

For me the key positions are

Striker

Left wing

Cm (barkley replacement)

Lb

Get guilbert back to compete with cash

On 01/05/2021 at 15:43, Demitri_C said:

I think that is quite a good analysis and where i think it will be

Without starting an argument and genuinely asking. If you agree with that analysis (and I do as well by the way) why have you been so angry and annoyed this season?

If 12th isn't a disaster next season, why has sitting in the top half for nearly all of this season been so terrible for you? 

12th could be a 'disaster' next season - could signal the start of some players getting itchy feet. Personally, I'm hoping for better than we have done this season and for that, I think we need an injury free captain, and some positive additions to the squad in the summer. 

I don't expect us to be fighting relegation - though it is a possibility. As the mighty Yoda once said, 'Difficult to see, the future is...'

My overall expectation, is for us to continue our progress in the upward trajectory. We have plenty of wriggle room before we hit our ceiling realistically as a Club. We are set up to achieve better and better for a few seasons yet. Keep on going... UTV. Ooooooohhhhhrahhhhhhh!!!

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Without starting an argument and genuinely asking. If you agree with that analysis (and I do as well by the way) why have you been so angry and annoyed this season?

If 12th isn't a disaster next season, why has sitting in the top half for nearly all of this season been so terrible for you? 

Thats a fair question DC. I wasnt angry that much from the end of 2020.  But the start of 2021 we have mainly been poor. I didnt expect europe but when we started playing poorly snd losing games against burnley, sheff utd etc it was making me question smith and how limited he is without jack. I mean last week vs Everton we were really excellent. If we had seen more performances like this i would hav been satisfied.

However the general play has been poor for a lot of the time without jack.  Poor with the passing , poor set pieces and really awful in final third. Only thing i would say has been a positive is that defensively we look alot more solid than last year.

I havent called for smiths head but he does concern me at times. I am happy to praise him when he does well but when i think he is doing shit i will call him out on it. Believe it or not i like dean and i am dying for him ti be  a success.  Much more likeable than bruce lambert or Sherwood 

• Like 4

I think we have to finish top half next season as a bare minimum. If we sign well and keep key players fit, we can make a push for top 6.

Top 4 would require several of the big 6/7 teams to have a bad season, and us to keep all our key players fit. It’s unlikely, but an outside possibility.

Main reason for optimism is the age of our squad. You’d expect every single starter to continue improving.

• Like 2

NWSE are building a solid base. Look at the youth set up. Look at the majority of our senior signings, all are mostly young with potential to improve. Look at Bodymoor. Hopefully look at the inner city academy soon. We will have ups and downs but we are finally starting to act as a big club which hasn't happened since......

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

We have a youbger squad which is really making you feel we have  abetter future than the likes of everton.

Summer is key. I know people think we dont need a striker i think we do. If ollie got injured we would have been screwed. 

God knows what kind of wes we will get back after such a horrific injury.

Davis 1st goal in 2 yeara says it all.

For me the key positions are

Striker

Left wing

Cm (barkley replacement)

Lb

Get guilbert back to compete with cash

Ollie has never been injured in his professional career. Don't think you should worry too much 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Â